Altercation over an empty gun holster. Some advice please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Next time... MAN UP!

Nobody is gonna punch me in the face and run off. Don't stop carrying because of this jagbag. This jagbag is the reason we do carry.
    I respectfully disagree. I can't speak for everyone, but IMHO, we should carry in order to have the tool we need to save our life, or the life of another, as a last resort. A punch in the eye, while unpleasant, does not constitute a life threatening situation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The way I take it is that he had to wait and pick on you because he felt you were weaker than him. He seems to think he is a bada$$ because hes been to jail. I wouldnt stop carrying but I also wouldnt have taken it off when I got there. I also acknowledge alcohol and firearms dont mix well. You did whats right though and others who said that you should file charges and avoid that person is what should be done . Thats more than what I can say I woulda done in that situation because I would be in jail and he would be in the hospital.

Unless of course, they're mixed with Tobacco and Explosives... Then you have a government agency. ;)

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I respectfully disagree. I can't speak for everyone, but IMHO, we should carry in order to have the tool we need to save our life, or the life of another, as a last resort. A punch in the eye, while unpleasant, does not constitute a life threatening situation.

I'm not saying he should have drawn on him for a sucker punch. I'm saying that these are the kind of people we look out for, the aggressive types. If he would have punched me in the face and kept coming forward, I sure as well would want my sidearm with me. It doesn't have to be life threatening IMHO. If he intended to cause serious injury to me, I would draw on him in a second. Hoping that would be enough to stop him in his tracks and time to call the police.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If any assailant is allowed inside of "your" strike zone it is already to late to draw and get any control on the muzzle without fear of being disarmed midway through the maneuver.
    If you can not get off a clean punch then he/she/it is to close already.
    Vigilance, constant attention to your surroundings. Especially after having a confrontation of any kind with someone. If they are waiting in the parking lot and you do not have your weapon (he knew it was in your car, was he attempting to steal it?? knew you were unarmed) and you keep a straight track to him you are a bit addled my friend.
    If you are a non-punch back first strike kind of guy you choose another course of action.
    I would have taken an curving path towards him favoring my strong hand side making him adjust to me and therefore being off balance. When he came into range it would have been lights out, for him. If he did not alter course or speed it should be obvious his intentions are not good.
    If this is a true story then get some self defense classes. They will not only teach aggression and self defense but awareness. The ability to read people is so important especially if you carry. Knowing when and when not is more important than anything these days. Open your eyes. Keep your teeth.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not saying he should have drawn on him for a sucker punch. I'm saying that these are the kind of people we look out for, the aggressive types. If he would have punched me in the face and kept coming forward, I sure as well would want my sidearm with me. It doesn't have to be life threatening IMHO. If he intended to cause serious injury to me, I would draw on him in a second. Hoping that would be enough to stop him in his tracks and time to call the police.
    Okay, gotcha. I misinterpreted you the first time around.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Yesterday afternoon I was bowling with some buddies from work. I took my gun with me but left it in the glove compartment, but left the holster on my belt. We continued to bowl for some time and the games were getting heated. A co worker of my mine kept mouthing off to me and I ignored him. He seen my holster and proceeded to tell me I was weak and that's why I needed to carry. I told him nicely I don't carry a gun for the attention or to feel like a badass. He then asked me to ask me if I would sell a gun to his wife, I said no because I knew it would end up in his hands and he has been in trouble with the law. We finished up bowling and I was gathering my things and changing my shoes and was the last one out. He was waiting for me in the parking lot. He approached me and hit me in the face and proceeded to tell me I wasn't so bad without my guns. I tried to get him to leave before the cops showed up. He finally left as soon as the cops arrived. Should I quit carrying because one guy was drunk and made a scene or should I believe in my rights and carry proudly? Please help friends of INGO
    You should have decked his a$$. As soon as he touched you, that was assult, you had the right to protect yourself.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Theoretical responses and hypothetical answers to a poorly contrived fictional situation, says I.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    brother if you gotta ask this question. then maybe you should think about the mind set behind a RAC. short answer no, you should not disarm yourself. but you might look into a mace delivery unit. or maybe even call the local self defense/hand to hand school. because youre not legally permitted to draw that firearm unless confronted with a life threatening situation anyway. which an unarmed drunk is not. also a covering garment is good way to conceal. as it wont draw unwanted attention, yeah?

the police should know of what went down. and its probably time for some new bowling friends.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    brother if you gotta ask this question. then maybe you should think about the mind set behind a RAC. short answer no, you should not disarm yourself. but you might look into a mace delivery unit. or maybe even call the local self defense/hand to hand school. because youre not legally permitted to draw that firearm unless confronted with a life threatening situation anyway. which an unarmed drunk is not. also a covering garment is good way to conceal. as it wont draw unwanted attention, yeah?

the police should know of what went down. and its probably time for some new bowling friends.

IC 35-41-3-2 Use of force to protect person or property Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person: (1) is justified in using deadly force; and (2) does not have a duty to retreat; if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    IC 35-41-3-2 Use of force to protect person or property Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person: (1) is justified in using deadly force; and (2) does not have a duty to retreat; if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

im with ya deadhead. but as doggy said

that text looks like something a defense lawyer worth his salt could jump rope with. when it doubt there is no doubt.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    When does a situation become life threatening?

IMHO, when the aggressor has a gun, knife, or weapon OR when it is TOO LATE.

"Excuse me sir, take a break from kicking me in the head and breaking my ribs while I draw my weapon to defend myself."

That IS NOT going to be me. But I would think I'm smart enough to avoid the situation in the first place.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    By law I think one had the right to use a firearm in self-defense. There was a reason to believe serious bodily injury could have happened since the guy was waiting for him and came up and hit him. There was thought process on the aggressors end to attack someone. Also, a forcible felony, assault. By law, he could have been swiss cheese. However, I think all that should have been done is paid a little more attention to surroundings.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    im with ya deadhead. but as doggy said

that text looks like something a defense lawyer worth his salt could jump rope with. when it doubt there is no doubt.

I guy in greenfield got into a verbal fight with a guy at a bar. Person 1 walks of bar to leave. person 2 follows and instigates further fighting. Person 1 walks over to him and punches him in the face knocking him down. When person 2 hit the ground he received a head injury that killed him. One punch can kill a guy.

Im not saying person 1 nor person 2 was right or wrong here. Just saying it does happen.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I guy in greenfield got into a verbal fight with a guy at a bar. Person 1 walks of bar to leave. person 2 follows and instigates further fighting. Person 1 walks over to him and punches him in the face knocking him down. When person 2 hit the ground he received a head injury that killed him. One punch can kill a guy.

Im not saying person 1 nor person 2 was right or wrong here. Just saying it does happen.

So person 2 got what was coming to him. Karma. Another one bites the dust.

Top Bottom