Amazon.com and sales tax now in Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I can see from this thread that many will not be persuaded away from their delusions by either facts or law..

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Amazon was targeted pretty much because of the amount of business it does, plus it does, IAW State DoR rules, maintain a distribution facility/warehouse etc. They struck a deal really because they had very little choice in the matter. If the wished to maintain their supply chain facilities here, they had to agree to it.

I know people complain about the Fed pushing the Internet Sales Tax legislation and how 'unfair' it is, but the fact of the matter is, Indiana and most other States have had Use Tax laws in the books forever that have largely ignored/unknown. It's pretty much the same on a smaller scale dealing with Amazon in Indiana.

Im not saying I support this or that I don't, but fact is, businesses have to report and submit the Use Taxes or the run the risk of DoR and/or IRS audit and possibly penalties/charges among the legal fees and hassles as well. It was only a matter of time until the State started realizing how much uncollected revenue was floating out in the ether from the private sector.

I'd post quotes, but for some reason I am unable to select individual sections from this PDF with my iPhone today.
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T00450/A00022.PDF

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The thing that really bothers me about this is they tav me on GROCERIES! There's no tax on groceries, at least the ones I am speaking about and I asked them about this when I called them. They told me, "Yes sir, there is indeed tax on the food, all food." That about did it for me and Amazon.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012

I think what he is saying is that lots of people are ignorant to the fact that everything they buy online (or out of state) they are supposed to pay a use tax on when they file their state taxes. It has been this way for years. If Amazon doesn't collect the tax, you still have to pay it.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    The thing that really bothers me about this is they tav me on GROCERIES! There's no tax on groceries, at least the ones I am speaking about and I asked them about this when I called them. They told me, "Yes sir, there is indeed tax on the food, all food." That about did it for me and Amazon.

I don't understand why food is exempt. If you are going to have a sales tax, tax EVERYTHING. They also shouldn't hand out tax exemptions to everyone and their brother.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I wonder how guys would feel if Amazon didn't collect tax and instead the state chose to do an audit on their customers. There has been a line on the Indiana tax form to report online purchases for years.

I think it's important to remember Amazon does not charge tax. They merely collect it. It goes to the state it's not like amazon gets to keep it.

Its been a long time coming but states have lost millions in revenue due to online sales and they don't want to be left out of the party. There has also been tons of pressure from retailers who are basically 7% behind from the get go

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't understand why food is exempt. If you are going to have a sales tax, tax EVERYTHING. They also shouldn't hand out tax exemptions to everyone and their brother.
    Many states do not tax groceries, prescription and OTC drugs. Indiana is one of them. I am not asking for an exemption on something that is usually taxed nor am I asking for an individual special privilege. I find it hard to understand how you can live here and not know what is and isn't taxable under the sales tax laws.

Food is exempt because you aren't taxed on food in this state. How is that hard to understand? I get collecting tax on those things that are taxable and I am willing to pay this tax. I am NOT willing to pay a tax on something that isn't supposed to be taxed. Why should I be?

Look at the grocery store's receipt next time you buy groceries. There will be things that are taxed like soda and ready to eat deli food and pots and pans and nonfood items you may buy but the actually groceries, which includes any OTC or prescription drugs you may have bought, are not taxed. If all you buy is food that is to be prepared while on the grocery trip, there will be no tax collected. So again, why would I be happy to be taxed by Amazon for nontaxable items?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    It was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. It will happen in every state its just a matter of time. There is a list on Amazons site of the states that they collect taxes from. It will continue to grow, and its just like the classifieds section here, if you dont like the price, then dont buy it. No one is forcing you too, even though Amazon would be forced too regardless if they wanted to or not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Because a sales tax hits the poor harder than the rich. Poorer people spend a larger portion of their earnings. Eliminating the tax on basic necessities tries to counterbalance that. A family that makes $20k a year spends a much larger percentage of their income on groceries than a family making $200k a year.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Indeed, I actually make right around that and I assure you that one of my BIGGEST reasons to move to IN from IL was TAXES! Taxes in IL were KILLING ME! Everything is taxed there, food to excrement (they tax your sewage bill). All the taxes there are much higher percentages as well. It was so much money that when I moved here it felt like I had been given a HUGE raise in pay.

It's not only the gun laws that suck in Nanny States, they also tax the crap outta you unless your are "poor" enough to get that money back from the gov't in the form of "relief".

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Uh, they tax the hell out of us in Indiana too. It's not $10+ for a pack of cigarettes high, but they get you every where they can.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Uh, they tax the hell out of us in Indiana too. It's not $10+ for a pack of cigarettes high, but they get you every where they can.
    live in IL for a while and see what real taxation is like. Believe me, Hoosiers have it good in comparison.

Nor am I going to get into a pissing match over who taxes who and how much is enough.

I don't like sales tax of any kind since it is a double tax. It takes my after tax dollar, which should be completely mine, and taxes that as well anytime I try to actually use that money to get anything. To figure the actual rate of any sales tax you must first figure the taxes already paid the add more percentage points to that to get the actual rate of taxation. So thinking you are taxed &5 sales tax for something isn't even close to the real number you are being levied. This of course varies per personal income taxation so I cannot say a blanket number for everyone.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    It was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. It will happen in every state its just a matter of time. There is a list on Amazons site of the states that they collect taxes from. It will continue to grow, and its just like the classifieds section here, if you dont like the price, then dont buy it. No one is forcing you too, even though Amazon would be forced too regardless if they wanted to or not.
    this of course makes it all OK.

Top Bottom