Amazon.com and sales tax now in Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a fairly pleasant shopping trip to Kmart, of all places :rolleyes:, yesterday. I had a last minute thought to replace my furnace filter before the wicked cold weather arrived. I got the filter and another $50 worth of various supplies. All business that Amazon would have had. I believe I'll pursue this sort of shopping, for a few months anyway. If they are taxing food, they'll for sure loose my monthly subscription business.

I hate it, but Amazon needs to feel the results of their decision. They understand finances, if nothing else. Indiana Amazon workers and support contractors will (and should) be affected by this bad decision. The same as the mail lady, UPS and Fedex drivers who I easily see 3-4 times a week. I have been bending their ears for months on this issue.

I'm gonna treat this as a good thing to expand my shopping mindset. It's good not to have all your eggs in one Amazon basket.;)

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I still don't understand why this is a big deal. You have to report the tax from the sale of online purchases that are not taxed imediately anyway, amazon actually just made shopping even easier by getting the taxes out of the way at the time of purchase like physical storefronts do. This way you don't have to go through the trouble of keeping all your online receipts and reporting at the end of the year. I guess people will always find something to complain about.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I still don't understand why this is a big deal. You have to report the tax from the sale of online purchases that are not taxed imediately anyway, amazon actually just made shopping even easier by getting the taxes out of the way at the time of purchase like physical storefronts do. This way you don't have to go through the trouble of keeping all your online receipts and reporting at the end of the year. I guess people will always find something to complain about.
    Yeah right. Show me the percentage of people who actually do that. Maybe since Amazon has a hub in Indiana it can be legal but if I'm buying from an out of state company then in my opinion indiana has no authority to collect a tax. Sure they have 'a law', there's also 'a law' that says I have to have a pink permission slip to exercise my constitutional right to carry. It doesn't make it right though. If people want to report their own tax then go right ahead but don't come and tell ME what I must do. You can turn right around and march out the way you came in.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'll leave the argument about whether folks actually do that or not for another thread, other than to say that that IF they did, the silly assed law would have changed a LONG time ago. Some consider us to be TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY. I guess you choose to call that complaining?

Regardless of whether you are happy to pay more taxes or not, Amazon DID NOT have to get into the taxing business. They have plenty enough sway with their status as an employer and mega-tax payer in this state along with all of the contract fingers spreading out from this HUGE business.

AMAZON caved to Indiana for whatever reason. The free market should dictate it's opinion of Amazon's actions. I'm suggesting we make sure it does.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Many states do not tax groceries, prescription and OTC drugs. Indiana is one of them. I am not asking for an exemption on something that is usually taxed nor am I asking for an individual special privilege. I find it hard to understand how you can live here and not know what is and isn't taxable under the sales tax laws.

Food is exempt because you aren't taxed on food in this state. How is that hard to understand? I get collecting tax on those things that are taxable and I am willing to pay this tax. I am NOT willing to pay a tax on something that isn't supposed to be taxed. Why should I be?

Look at the grocery store's receipt next time you buy groceries. There will be things that are taxed like soda and ready to eat deli food and pots and pans and nonfood items you may buy but the actually groceries, which includes any OTC or prescription drugs you may have bought, are not taxed. If all you buy is food that is to be prepared while on the grocery trip, there will be no tax collected. So again, why would I be happy to be taxed by Amazon for nontaxable items?

OTC drugs are taxed. Prescriptions are not.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I'll leave the argument about whether folks actually do that or not for another thread, other than to say that that IF they did, the silly assed law would have changed a LONG time ago. Some consider us to be TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY. I guess you choose to call that complaining?

Regardless of whether you are happy to pay more taxes or not, Amazon DID NOT have to get into the taxing business. They have plenty enough sway with their status as an employer and mega-tax payer in this state along with all of the contract fingers spreading out from this HUGE business.

AMAZON caved to Indiana for whatever reason. The free market should dictate it's opinion of Amazon's actions. I'm suggesting we make sure it does.

They probably saw the sun about to set and decided to be proactive. I bet there is a law passed this year that forces all online and out of state purchases to be taxed at time of purchase. A bunch of states are doing that very thing already, it was really only a matter of time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I bet there is a law passed this year that forces all online and out of state purchases to be taxed at time of purchase. A bunch of states are doing that very thing already, it was really only a matter of time.
    That will depend on whether voters like yourself allow your representatives to do so.
    We didn't get to vote on the Amazon decision, other than now, with our dollars...

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    That will depend on whether voters like yourself allow your representatives to do so.
    We didn't get to vote on the Amazon decision, other than now, with our dollars...

But the ones that will pass it are already in power, nothing we can do till the next voting cycle. Personally I would like to see the end of many taxes, and a Flat Tax be proposed with no deductions. That way everyone pays the same percentage.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    AmazonComplaint020814_zpsc2e7a980.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Amazon is using the sales tax game to muscle out smaller competition. They can afford to overhaul their multi-billion dollar website with state of the art sales tax software that can be updated and monitored on a regular basis...most of the small websites cannot.

And if you wonder why this is so difficult, try selling things to places like California that have half a dozen little mini-zones for taxation that vary according to the product sold, which zip code it's going to, and whether the local city council felt like changing it again this month.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Whoa.. can't wait to see that vote breakdown.

5-4.

KENNEDY, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which THOMAS, GINSBURG, ALITO, and GORSUCH, JJ., joined. THOMAS, J., and GORSUCH,J., filed concurring opinions. ROBERTS, C. J., filed a dissenting opinion,in which BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., joined

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Who doesn't love a big well funded state....

" ROBERTS, C. J., filed a dissenting opinion,in which BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN"

You may want to think about how this fact supports your conclusion. Are we saying these justices don't want a big, well funded state?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What will this do to eBay, Craigs List, private sales?

First question: even if the Supreme Court allows it, does the state impose it? The decision allows states to collect sales tax on interstate transaction. It does not require it.
    Second question: who has to collect sales tax?

Top Bottom