Amazon Prime Day, Anything worth buying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Glad I clicked on this. We have been wanting to get Arlo cameras but we don't have very good internet and they are kinda pricey. May have to give the blink a try

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    JLjmhoE.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well after some looking into the Blink cameras it looks like we will be sticking with the Arlo idea. Apparently Blink is going to start charging $3 per camera monthly so the Arlo will be cheaper after all.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well after some looking into the Blink cameras it looks like we will be sticking with the Arlo idea. Apparently Blink is going to start charging $3 per camera monthly so the Arlo will be cheaper after all.

I have them and had not heard it. Where did you see this? And is it only particular models? I specifically chose these because they did not charge for cloud storage. I delete all content the same day, usually within a few minutes of occurence. (Damn squirrels...)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have them and had not heard it. Where did you see this? And is it only particular models? I specifically chose these because they did not charge for cloud storage. I delete all content the same day, usually within a few minutes of occurence. (Damn squirrels...)

It was on the Amazon add, I believe it said accounts activated before 4-15-20 (don't hold me to this date) will remain free. New account will be free till first of year (I think) then $3 per camera or $10 month for unlimited cameras.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well crap. Missed it by a couple of months. Here is the dilemma-- keep the two I have and pay the $6 because of the money I have invested, or abandon the Blinks and get something else, which I don't really want to do because I was not impressed with any other cameras at all.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Well crap. Missed it by a couple of months. Here is the dilemma-- keep the two I have and pay the $6 because of the money I have invested, or abandon the Blinks and get something else, which I don't really want to do because I was not impressed with any other cameras at all.

I think all of these newer wireless cameras all charge a fee to view your data on their servers. It's basically SaaS model.

I just have a wired system and store all of my footage locally which the app can fetch.

I'm guessing their app won't let you access footage stored on the "Blink Sync Module 2?"

The best way to avoid paying a monthly fee for a camera system is to buy cameras that work with open source NVR software and set it up yourself. NVR hosted locally that works with an app to view remotely.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think all of these newer wireless cameras all charge a fee to view your data on their servers. It's basically SaaS model.

I just have a wired system and store all of my footage locally which the app can fetch.

I'm guessing their app won't let you access footage stored on the "Blink Sync Module 2?"

The best way to avoid paying a monthly fee for a camera system is to buy cameras that work with open source NVR software and set it up yourself. NVR hosted locally that works with an app to view remotely.
    I specifically wanted something that played well with Alexa so we could check the cameras from any room that has an Echo show (family room, computer room, and my bedroom). As far as I know, Blink is the only one that does. The alternative would be to make sure there is a cell phone/tablet/laptop/desktop in whatever room we want to check camera use, and utilize the camera app. I really like the setup we have, but damn.

I wonder how they can all of a sudden start charging for cloud storage when current customers were not told when purchasing? The item description specifically stated free cloud storage. Is it litigable, maybe by class action?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I specifically wanted something that played well with Alexa so we could check the cameras from any room that has an Echo show (family room, computer room, and my bedroom). As far as I know, Blink is the only one that does. The alternative would be to make sure there is a cell phone/tablet/laptop/desktop in whatever room we want to check camera use, and utilize the camera app. I really like the setup we have, but damn.

I wonder how they can all of a sudden start charging for cloud storage when current customers were not told when purchasing? The item description specifically stated free cloud storage. Is it litigable, maybe by class action?

Haven't used these myself, but my guess is they changed some paperwork or a licensing agreement somewhere to allow charging for this and that's why they are grandfathering in those who purchased before a certain date.

I almost picked up one of the echoes that included a Blink camera for a few extra bucks, but opted to get the one that they were adding a smart plug for $5 to when I saw there was a cloud storage charge for the Blink. Not that I'm against the SaaS model, but I already use some Zwave stuff that is tied into my alarm panel that acts as a hub and use that for all the really important stuff (so far). I have a couple of the Echo devices and some of the Amazon/Alexa native smart plugs that work directly with Alexa and it's routines and will use them for inconsequential stuff like some lamps, etc. I would have considered the Blink camera just an extra nicety to play with, but wasn't going to start yet another paid subscription just to play with it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I ordered a 2 camera Arlo system yesterday. I thought I read somewhere that they are also Alexa compatible. I may be wrong on that but maybe you can look into it. Arlo supposedly stores 7 days worth free. It kinda sucks because you are already setup, may be worth it just to pay the monthly charge.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That sucks, were they ok other than that. I hope they work with our limited internet.
    Yeah, they worked OK. Just weren't what we wanted.

A little background. My mom is 87 and lives with me. She is very fearful of being alone and of the possibility of intruders. If there is an alert on one of the cameras and I'm not home to check the camera app on my phone, she can just ask Alexa to show the front door or show the garage. Because she does not have a smartphone, the Alexa component is kind of a dealbreaker for us.

Top Bottom