Amazon Prime Day, Anything worth buying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I specifically wanted something that played well with Alexa so we could check the cameras from any room that has an Echo show (family room, computer room, and my bedroom). As far as I know, Blink is the only one that does. The alternative would be to make sure there is a cell phone/tablet/laptop/desktop in whatever room we want to check camera use, and utilize the camera app. I really like the setup we have, but damn.

I wonder how they can all of a sudden start charging for cloud storage when current customers were not told when purchasing? The item description specifically stated free cloud storage. Is it litigable, maybe by class action?

Yeah that’s pretty ****ty. My security system pulled the same stunt but grandfathered most of us in who were early adopters.

Have you checked to see if you can use the local storage then view that via app?

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Local storage?

Maybe once this comes out you won’t need the cloud storage. According to a note on the camera page, Motion alerts and live view don’t require a fee.

[FONT=&quot]Note: Features like Live View and Motion Alerts are automatically available with Blink Outdoor at no additional cost.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

So I guess it’s not out yet?

Blink Add-On Sync Module 2 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084RQ6MHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LGqIFbP6Z0PYT

[h=3]Features & details[/h][FONT=&quot]
    • Conveniently control all of your Blink cameras right from the Blink Home Monitor app with the Blink Sync Module 2. The Sync Module 2 connects up to 10 of any Blink Indoor, Blink Outdoor, XT2, XT, and Blink Mini cameras (not required for Mini).
    • Supports local video storage for up to 10 cameras – including Outdoor, Indoor, and Mini. Back up motion detection clips when you insert a USB flash drive (up to 256 GB – sold separately) into the Blink Sync Module 2.
    • View, share, and download locally stored videos from up to 10 cameras – including Outdoor, Indoor, and Mini on your computer by plugging in the USB flash drive (sold separately).
    • No monthly fees are required to use local video storage functionality. Local video storage functionality is not compatible with Blink XT2, XT, and 1st generation Indoor cameras.

[/FONT]

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I picked up an Olight WML for 20% off. I'll add it to my EDC, and try it on a rifle too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe I'm just too deal conscious or tight? I didn't see much in the way of deals that interested me. Black Friday sales last year at Amazon were similar. Nothing that much better than normal of my interest...

To give Amazon their due, they are often very competitive pricewise. And of course they have the best shipping program in the business with Prime.

All that said, it sure looks like Amazon has increased prices across the board in this lockdown era? Everything I regularly order from them has gone up. Not only the high demand 'rona stuff.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Maybe once this comes out you won’t need the cloud storage. According to a note on the camera page, Motion alerts and live view don’t require a fee.

[FONT=&amp]Note: Features like Live View and Motion Alerts are automatically available with Blink Outdoor at no additional cost.[/FONT]

So I guess it’s not out yet?

Blink Add-On Sync Module 2 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B084RQ6MHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LGqIFbP6Z0PYT

Features & details

[FONT=&amp]
    • Conveniently control all of your Blink cameras right from the Blink Home Monitor app with the Blink Sync Module 2. The Sync Module 2 connects up to 10 of any Blink Indoor, Blink Outdoor, XT2, XT, and Blink Mini cameras (not required for Mini).
    • Supports local video storage for up to 10 cameras – including Outdoor, Indoor, and Mini. Back up motion detection clips when you insert a USB flash drive (up to 256 GB – sold separately) into the Blink Sync Module 2.
    • View, share, and download locally stored videos from up to 10 cameras – including Outdoor, Indoor, and Mini on your computer by plugging in the USB flash drive (sold separately).
    • No monthly fees are required to use local video storage functionality. Local video storage functionality is not compatible with Blink XT2, XT, and 1st generation Indoor cameras.

[/FONT]
    This would be great, but it's not compatible with out XT2's. If we switch from the XT2, we lose the Alexa functionality. So it's a catch 22.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Maybe I'm just too deal conscious or tight? I didn't see much in the way of deals that interested me. Black Friday sales last year at Amazon were similar. Nothing that much better than normal of my interest...

To give Amazon their due, they are often very competitive pricewise. And of course they have the best shipping program in the business with Prime.

All that said, it sure looks like Amazon has increased prices across the board in this lockdown era? Everything I regularly order from them has gone up. Not only the high demand 'rona stuff.
    I agree. The few things I saw that I might have wanted were 20% off or so, and I didn't want them badly enough to get them.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

In fairness to Amazon, we have seen some supply chain disruption, including all those budget conscious items they get from China (and those businesses are getting better at obscuring their country of origin). There is also the worrying possibility that, as smaller independent retailers close, and larger retailers suffer through this pandemic, that Amazon will take more market share and prices will creep up over time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Think about it: if you didn't need it at full price, then you don't need it when it's on sale.:)

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    There was a four hour deal for a Ring with an Echo at $69. Couldn't resist that one, got it hooked up and running, good video for the front door. Got other cameras around the house and repurposed the one we had at the front to a dead area on the side.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Think about it: if you didn't need it at full price, then you don't need it when it's on sale.:)

What if one feels need to make purchase decision judiciously on an item of regular use that while not depleted will soon be in need of replacement. Is is too needy of them to think they need to purchase when it's on sale? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

This reminds me of the difference between men and women. A man will buy something he needs, whether it's on sale or not. A woman will buy something that's on sale whether she needs it or not. :):

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My Olight arrived, and very quickly I might add. Sadly it does not fit the rail on my EDC (the gun's rail is too short), but it has found a home on my rifle. With the older light moved from the rifle to another long gun.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Doesn't it say it works with all of their cameras? Do you mean you lose the Alexa features if you don't pay the monthly fee? If so that's trash.
    Oops, I meant I would not have the local video storage, not Alexa. I assume the Alexa feature would work, but I would not get the local video storage. (Don't mind me... lots of **** going on right now.)

From the link you posted

"[FONT=&amp]No monthly fees are required to use local video storage functionality. Local video storage functionality is not compatible with Blink XT2, XT, and 1st generation Indoor cameras."[/FONT]

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It was on the Amazon add, I believe it said accounts activated before 4-15-20 (don't hold me to this date) will remain free. New account will be free till first of year (I think) then $3 per camera or $10 month for unlimited cameras.
    OK, they are still selling Blink XT2 cameras and it still says this in the product description--

"[FONT=&quot]No monthly fees[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Includes free cloud storage for up to 7,200 seconds of video stored up to a year with no monthly fees."

[/FONT]
    So I'm wondering how they can charge for cloud storage when the current description says it's free?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    OK, they are still selling Blink XT2 cameras and it still says this in the product description--

"[FONT=&quot]No monthly fees[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Includes free cloud storage for up to 7,200 seconds of video stored up to a year with no monthly fees."

[/FONT]
    So I'm wondering how they can charge for cloud storage when the current description says it's free?

When I was looking I didn't see any XT2 systems available only the new style. Hopefully your system will remain the same and not have to get the blink subscription. Maybe you could give customer service a call to clear things up, sorry if I caused you any worry or confusion. Good luck

Top Bottom