• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Steve Kerr on if he's ever been asked about human rights during his previous trips to China:

"No. Nor has (America's) record of human rights abuses come up either... People in China didn't ask me about, you know, people owning AR-15s and mowing each other down in a mall."

Yes, yes... please equate America to ****in' China you dunce.

A surveillance state Orwell couldn't have dreamt up and actual Gulags but Merica has lone mass shooters so who are we too judge.

I'm a free trade globalist all the way, let them make cell phone parts all day, but I could get behind tariffs on companies complicit in any atrocities China commits. I'll gladly boycott anyone like Disney or the NBA who self sensor to gain access to the market. Google im not sure I can boycott though, they really have me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Blizzard has issued a statement

EGozH3rUwAASbSz

EGozIZpUcAEKnW8

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Meh.... The gamers are "speaking" and leaving blizzard.
    Blizzard will face the same financial slap as gilliet with their anti man campaign.

Zenmaster961

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2019
    Awesome. Good for the DJ, gamers and others. The South Park episodes have been fantastic this season. Meanwhile the NBA continues to embarrass itself.

Who knew, Trey and Matt. A source for truth, justice and the American way.... (Name that film...)

Real comedians - Trey and Matt are the real deal - are always for free speech.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    You just got to love how they can say this with a straight face, "...Every voice matters. Encouraging everybody to share their point of view."

I think they needed to put in this disclaimer, "Unless it might interfere with our profits from China."

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You just got to love how they can say this with a straight face, "...Every voice matters. Encouraging everybody to share their point of view."

I think they needed to put in this disclaimer, "Unless it might interfere with our profits from China."

Some voices are more equal than others, and more profitable.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The NBA angle is actually minor compared to the larger story: ESPN. They are running interference for the NBA during all of this.

ESPN is invested heavily in the NBA... with broadcasting rights and a need to protect the brand. They make a significant portion of that investment back on NBA-related advertisers like Nike, who are heavily invested in China... both in market concerns and production infrastructure.

And... ESPN is owned by Disney, which is a corporation that depends on the Chinese market (and bows heavily to their censorship) for their entertainment.

That's the real scandal regarding the NBA. The default American sports journalism entity that has completely bowed to a communist government to protect their market share and investments. What the NBA is doing sucks. What ESPN is doing to protect the NBA is sick.

Capitalists something something rope something hang them

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If only I was interested enough and rich enough to buy tickets, so I could stop buying them and hit them where it counts. As it is, I will cut back on my watching NBA, from 0 hours to 0 hours.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Blizzard cancels "Overwatch" Switch launch event at Nintendo NYC

I think this is blowing up bigger than they thought it would... and there are a lot of plans to disrupt their future events with pro-HK messages... So I know they need to deal with that backlash somehow.

I'm also pessimistic enough to think they're going to announce some big sequels at Blizzcon, and people will just forget all about this.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    LeBron's turn in the barrel

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...daryl-morey-china-hong-kong-tweet/3982436002/
    Opinion: LeBron James undermines values he's espoused in most disgraceful moment of career

Because as James tweeted on Monday night, trying to clarify comments he made to the media earlier in the evening: “My team and this league just went through a difficult week. I think people need to understand what a tweet or statement can do to others. And I believe nobody stopped and considered what would happen. Could have waited a week to send it.”

Right on, LeBron. Millions in Hong Kong are fearful that their entire way of life is about to change, and thousands upon thousands of protesters are risking their lives to make a stand for their freedom and their future. Why would Morey think about them when your preseason vacation and your bank account is at stake? How selfish of him.

If only Morey had done what you did Monday, LeBron, and tacitly admit that the only thing that really matters is your ability to sell shoes and market "Space Jam 2" in a country of 1.4 billion, we could have had an intellectually honest discussion about doing business in China and the cost of free speech in a country where only propaganda is tolerated.

Another resistance warrior about to learn the Jacobins eventually come for everybody. IMO couldn't happen to a more deserving recipient

Top Bottom