• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    i think he means that you should comply with what they say, don't start fighting them yelling "i know my rights, you can't search my car" and then start swinging on the cop. A lot of good people get locked up that way...and now they can't have guns because they didn't realize that a cop can search your vehicle if he's towing it...(inventory search). If a cop asks and you wish to tell him no then that's fine.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    i think he means that you should comply with what they say, don't start fighting them yelling "i know my rights, you can't search my car" and then start swinging on the cop. A lot of good people get locked up that way...and now they can't have guns because they didn't realize that a cop can search your vehicle if he's towing it...(inventory search). If a cop asks and you wish to tell him no then that's fine.

Actually the Indiana Supreme Court stated the opposite...

JordanN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    What I was referring to are the roadside lawyers who argue case law on the side of the road. Traffic stops are dangerous. The less time that an officer has to spend in the middle of the road with cars speeding by, the better.

If you disagree, take it to court. Arguing isn't going to change his mind.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What I was referring to are the roadside lawyers who argue case law on the side of the road. Traffic stops are dangerous. The less time that an officer has to spend in the middle of the road with cars speeding by, the better.

If you disagree, take it to court. Arguing isn't going to change his mind.

So why should I give up my Rights for an Officers Safety?!

If an Officer does not want to discuss Rights and Laws then he should have a better understanding of them than I. He should KNOW what he can and may do. He should also KNOW were his boundaries are. I will not yield one single inch of my Rights.

Take it to court were his expenses are paid for by us...
    Take it to court because he may not KNOW the rules that he is attempting to enforce...
    Take it to court when I have better things to spend my hard earned money on...

I'll take it to court when I get charged with an offense and I am arrested...

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    You're kidding , right? Comply completely? Submit to a search for no reason?
    My motto is, deny, deny, deny. Ask for a lawyer. Never admit to anything. Go spend a night night in jail but never give any information that will cause you an extended stay.

Yes, I have a gun. Yes, its legal and No, you can't search my vehicle. I know I don't have anything and I am not gonna stand there and watch someone tear the hell out of my vehicle to not find anything. Then proceed to not put it all back and clean up their mess. I will comply until they ask to do a search.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Yes, I have a gun. Yes, its legal and No, you can't search my vehicle. I know I don't have anything and I am not gonna stand there and watch someone tear the hell out of my vehicle to not find anything. Then proceed to not put it all back and clean up their mess. I will comply until they ask to do a search.
    I will tell them they don't have permission to search but I would stop short of physicaly trying to block their ability to search. If they proceeded without my permission I would discreetly try to activate the camcorder on my cell phone and get a recording of me telling the police that they do not have my permission. Actually, now that I think about it, I am going to start recording as soon as I am pulled over from now on.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I will tell them they don't have permission to search but I would stop short of physicaly [sic] trying to block their ability to search. If they proceeded without my permission I would discreetly try to activate the camcorder on my cell phone and get a recording of me telling the police that they do not have my permission. Actually, now that I think about it, I am going to start recording as soon as I am pulled over from now on.
    From the hearsay that I've been reading from the internet is that "most" LEO's, if they catch you recording them, will confiscate your recording device as "evidence" - or worse - arrest you for interfering with their investigation. In some states they've been known to arrest folks for illegal wiretap (I know, it's not supposed to apply in this case). NONE of the charges will stick and you will get your device back (eventually, after all of the cases are dismissed after a year or so) and no lawyer will take your case when you want to sue - good luck.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    From the hearsay that I've been reading from the internet is that "most" LEO's, if they catch you recording them, will confiscate your recording device as "evidence" - or worse - arrest you for interfering with their investigation. In some states they've been known to arrest folks for illegal wiretap (I know, it's not supposed to apply in this case). NONE of the charges will stick and you will get your device back (eventually, after all of the cases are dismissed after a year or so) and no lawyer will take your case when you want to sue - good luck.
    What makes you think no lawyer would take my case. I thought lots of lawyers were into protecting personal liberty:dunno:

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Recording a conversation with a police officer is not an offense. And neither is Carrying Openly. If they attempt to take your recorder, that is an unlawful seizure without reasonable or articulable suspicion and your constitutional rights have been violated, and furthermore, you've been robbed by an Armed Individual.
    I personally believe that every Open Carrier needs to have a recorder on them when they carry. If you see an officer approach you or your threat level goes orange, flick the switch. Most work well in a pocket anyway. If nothing comes of it, what have you wasted? A few calories and 3 minutes of battery life? But if something does come of it, look at all you gain by having an actual recording of you responding politely and complying while informing the officer or bad guy of your intentions and rights. More than a few people have been saved in a courtroom because of these. I don't know any who have regretted buying or using one.

~LT

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Well that settles it im never talking to the police about anything ever again. Thats the best video advice ive ever seen thanks.

Trujillo107

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    NWI
    Small personal audio recording device.
    Indiana does not require all party notice. I confirmed this with Carl Brizzy over the radio 93.1 WIBC two years ago.
    Record the bastages.

Yes I carry a voice recoder from college in my car and allows record a police incounter. I'm always respectful to leo's until they're disrespectful to
    me are try to intimidate me with false information. Not all but most Leo's try to use the badge and gun as intimidation and play on the average person's lack of knowledge of the rights and the laws to get compliance.
    But I'm a criminal justice major and when I call the leo out on their bull****
    they tend to get defensive, yell out some threats to save face and then back down.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    great info. i typed up the info on the OP and printed it on a card for my wallet. Did anyone ever link to the document that had all the info put on a trifold card to keep it handy?

gworkman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I think some of them hide behind their badge and gun just to be ***holes and some are out there for the right reasons

Top Bottom