• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 91trboed5.0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Fresh LTCH, Fresh MP40c and now I have all the knowledge to OP or CC. Thanks for the great post. I watched that 48min video several times and printed several copies to carry in my wallet/glovebox. Thanks again guys.

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    Why open carry vs. concealed?

I'm sure this will generate many responses, but why openly carry? I've been a police officer for 31 years, 16 years as a detective. I go to GREAT LENGTHS to conceal my sidearm, as many "old-timers" do. Only on the hottest of days do I openly carry, and only with my badge clipped on my belt next to my weapon. I also usually clip my picture I.D. on my shirt when out in public. Off-duty I carry a small pocket gun totally concealed.

So, what's the big deal about OC? Why not CC, and save you and me an unnecessary contact, and perhaps an unpleasant experience? Please explain it to me. And, wouldn't you want us to inquire if someone is openly carrying? Or would you prefer we not, and chance that person goes postal and shoots up your workplace, or your chosen lunch spot, or library, or church, and your family?

And BTW, yes, some cops are rectums, but the vast majority are hard-working, conscientious, and care about the job. I know I wouldn't have 31 years on the job if my head and my heart WERE NOT in the right place.

End of soap-box - bedtime. :patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm sure this will generate many responses, but why openly carry?snip

Well, there are other threads for that question, where it's been answered. Still, I'm going to answer your question with a question. What business of yours, as a cop, is it how a citizen chooses to carry their firearm?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So, what's the big deal about OC? Why not CC, and save you and me an unnecessary contact, and perhaps an unpleasant experience? Please explain it to me.

OK. Here's a thread for you to read:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

And, wouldn't you want us to inquire if someone is openly carrying? Or would you prefer we not, and chance that person goes postal and shoots up your workplace, or your chosen lunch spot, or library, or church, and your family?
    No. Liberty is full of chances.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I normally CC, but it really annoys me when people think they have the right to tell me how I should live my life. If you feel obligated to ask me for my permit, fine, I'll show you. Hand it back and keep your opinions to yourself.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm sure this will generate many responses, but why openly carry? I've been a police officer for 31 years, 16 years as a detective. I go to GREAT LENGTHS to conceal my sidearm, as many "old-timers" do. Only on the hottest of days do I openly carry, and only with my badge clipped on my belt next to my weapon. I also usually clip my picture I.D. on my shirt when out in public. Off-duty I carry a small pocket gun totally concealed.

So, what's the big deal about OC? Why not CC, and save you and me an unnecessary contact, and perhaps an unpleasant experience? Please explain it to me. And, wouldn't you want us to inquire if someone is openly carrying? Or would you prefer we not, and chance that person goes postal and shoots up your workplace, or your chosen lunch spot, or library, or church, and your family?

And BTW, yes, some cops are rectums, but the vast majority are hard-working, conscientious, and care about the job. I know I wouldn't have 31 years on the job if my head and my heart WERE NOT in the right place.

You have spent 31 years as an LEO congrats first off.

My personal beliefs on the what weapons should be allowed to be carried would frighten you...

OC/CC who cares just Carry. It is one of the reasons I have spent the majority of my Adult Life stepping clearly into harm's way. From what I have seen in the last 2 decades the 2nd is getting stomped on less than several of the other Amendments...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm sure this will generate many responses, but why openly carry? End of soap-box - bedtime. :patriot:

Well, there are other threads for that question, where it's been answered.

OC/CC who cares just Carry. It is one of the reasons I have spent the majority of my Adult Life stepping clearly into harm's way. From what I have seen in the last 2 decades the 2nd is getting stomped on less than several of the other Amendments...

Just a reminder boys and girls. This is a STICKY post that has info. We should keep the follow-on post related to the information on the STICKY. The discussion of "why OC" should be taken to the various on-going threads we have on this debate.

I ask that this be done so that

1) that discussion of "why OC" be keeping with the rest of the discussion threads we have active
    and
    2) to make it easier to see/read and update this sticky should new information be given.

Feel free to discuss the "Why OC" or "CC vs OC" but please do it in the proper threads before tempers flare, a flame war starts and the MODs lock or worse unsticky the post and then everyone (new/old) loses the valuable info of the sticky.

Thanks!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    If I was being detained as a suspect of an actual crime, I would not talk to the LEO's without legal representation present. However, if I was stopped for a traffic violation and the LEO asked if I was carrying a weapon, I would fully comply.

As far as advise for other INGOers goes, I guess that depends on your level of knowledge and what if anything you may or may not have done wrong. If a LEO is not stepping on your civil rights, you know that you have not broken the law (other than speeding, ect.), what do you have to lose by complying and telling the truth?

I understand that the LEO may ask for your weapon after you tell him you have one on your person but, that is your chance to ask the LEO why he "needs" to see your weapon and tell them that it is much safer for everyone involved if your weapon stays right where it is.

I also understand that the second amendment and civil rights are part of the core of this site. However, this site is also about promoting awareness and education. I would prefer to take the time to attempt to build a rapport with the LEO and possibly even educate him/her as to what my rights are and what he/she can legally "seize". If the LEO does not respond in a positive manner, I would most likely fully comply, leave the encounter with my life, and take it from there.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    ...So, what's the big deal about OC? Why not CC, and save you and me an unnecessary contact, and perhaps an unpleasant experience? Please explain it to me.

why open carry? This falls back to a basic force of the universe that has existed forever - Deterrence.

it's why a dog shows it's teeth - why little spiders rear - up on hind legs. A crime is better deterred than occurred.

Why does ADT put up signs and stickers? Why do new cars have blinking red lights?

The same reason that the snake has it's rattling hiss. The reason carrying a firearm for self defense is not just a right - it's a key to freedom.
    :patriot:

dont_tread_on_me.jpg

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008

So, what's the big deal about OC? Why not CC, and save you and me an unnecessary contact, and perhaps an unpleasant experience? If I am allowed by law to OC or CC and it becomes an unpleasant situation then you have failed as a police officer, you have become the criminal by harassing a law abiding citizen just because you "don't agree" with how I legally carry my personal weapon. Please explain it to me. And, wouldn't you want us to inquire if someone is openly carrying? Or would you prefer we not, and chance that person goes postal and shoots up your workplace, or your chosen lunch spot, or library, or church, and your family? If you are truly a 30+yr vet of the force then you know that laws mean nothing to criminals, if they did you wouldn't have a job and we would all live in la la land together. To further defeat your logic, I can kill just as many people with my weapon CC'd.

Welcome to INGO and I really hope you learn something here:patriot:

StandingReady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    thoughts

OC is definitely a choice that you can exercise, but considering police officers maintain their employment through the job security known as Stupid People, you have to understand that there are a lot of people who carry guns that should not be (no LTCH, convicted felons, etc). When you choose OC, it is an obvious reason, and I would argue a justifiable one, for a police officer to make contact with that person to verify that they are legally allowed to do so.

Personally, while I see the deterrent nature of OC, which I think is much safer in numbers, I also know that the bad guy is not going to OC, and he is usually going to try to identify his biggest threat before he acts. The whole idea of CC is that you have the upper hand in secrecy if you happen to be present during a bad situation. If you OC, especially without other people to watch your back, you stand a strong chance of being the first person shot in the back of the head...

Oh, and BTW, I do carry every day as I have for years, and I carry concealed almost all the time.

Top Bottom