• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I don't carry at home. I get home, change and go workout. Then I change again into my comfy clothes.
    My house isn't large, so there's only a couple places an invasion can happen. And I also have a small dog to alert me, so there is that.
    My comfy clothes carry. Belt wrapped around my waist with a Glock 19 in a IWB kydex holster. Does not get much easier.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Everyone makes their own choices. Having something stashed in places around the house is great . . . until you're more than an arm's length away from it.

People don't understand how quickly things go from nothing to the bad guy inside your house and bearing down on you. If you think you'll have time to retrieve a weapon that is not on your person and you are tested, I hope you are right.

Crap, I had gotten away from having one next to me while I watch TV in the evenings. I guess that has to change.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Someone attempted to break into my house January 2016. I believe what stopped them is that they activated the alarm system and they heard the beeping through the door. I had to replace door and by the time I trimmed it out and re-painted everything it cost close to $1000. There is a side of me that really wishes I had been there when that happened. One of my neighbors told me that she saw the guy park his car down the street, walk down the street to my house with a pry bar visible in his hand, and then turn and walk down my driveway into the back yard where she couldn't see him from the window anymore. Quite brazen.

Gee, it would have been nice if she had called the police at that point or at least written down the license plate number.

Several years ago, my wife needed some work done on her piano. Had a guy who was going to come pick it up. We left a key for him (not sure I would do that today). When our neighbor saw the van pulled up and people carrying stuff out of our house, she called me at work to make sure it was legit. Said if she had not been able to get me, her next call would have been to the police. In the future, we made sure to let her know if we were going to have any workmen around our house, but I appreciated her attentiveness and reaction.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Someone attempted to break into my house January 2016. I believe what stopped them is that they activated the alarm system and they heard the beeping through the door. I had to replace door and by the time I trimmed it out and re-painted everything it cost close to $1000. There is a side of me that really wishes I had been there when that happened. One of my neighbors told me that she saw the guy park his car down the street, walk down the street to my house with a pry bar visible in his hand, and then turn and walk down my driveway into the back yard where she couldn't see him from the window anymore. Quite brazen.

And at what point in that series of events did she decide it was time to call the police? I would be dialing at "visible pry bar".

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Everyone makes their own choices. Having something stashed in places around the house is great . . . until you're more than an arm's length away from it.

People don't understand how quickly things go from nothing to the bad guy inside your house and bearing down on you. If you think you'll have time to retrieve a weapon that is not on your person and you are tested, I hope you are right.

Exactly. I`ve often thought about that awful home invasion on the North side, where five goons went in, raped the mom and daughter, shot the mom, and drove her around getting cash from ATMs. Oh my word, how frightening would it be to look up and see five dudes in your house. I carry at home, absolutely. Much to my wife`s chagrin, I carry when I go get the mail. I carry everywhere. In fact, if I`m there, it ain`t a gun-free zone. Shame on me if I ever get caught unarmed when I should have been.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Does it even need to be said, when you see what your neighbor saw, that you call 911?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I carry whenever I am awake and have one nearby when I am not. I wear my pistol in the house, while gardening or whatever I am doing in the yard. I used to just take it with me when I left to go off the property but there is just too much craziness in our world anymore to not be prepared. My neighbors cannot see my house or into my yard so I doubt anyone would hear or see anything if someone came here to do us harm.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to chuckle then rhino said he carried 24/7. Now I can barely remember the last time I didn't.

I appendix carry the G43 with the spare mag on the other side for balance in my "jammies." They clip well enough to the "belt" built into the Duluth Souped-Up sweats. A light fixed blade and Preon P2 round it all out.

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    IMPD seeks suspect that allegedly bound elderly woman in home invasion robbery | Fox 59

He picked someone he knew and knew couldn't fight back effectively. A .38 in the pocket may have changed that.

On WTHR-13, she said he was her former lawn care guy and she let him approach her, because she thought he was going to, and I quote, "hug her". I agree to carry around the house, but the mentality to be on guard will have to be there, too.

Woman talks about being tied up and robbed in her own home - Local News - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Same. It's always around near by, same for the OG. As I sit here and read this thread, I'm wondering if should be carrying while I mow the lawn.

A neighbor, half mile up the road, was murdered in his driveway when he caught a guy he knew stealing his ATV. Just before, I watched the murderer pull into my driveway and turn around, looking for David's house. I live where most city folks would consider "middle of nowhere."

Johnny0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2017
    NWI
    My dad was a victim. He was in his 80s, had 2 bad knees and had a hard time getting around. In the middle of the day there was a knock at the door. As soon as he turned the knob to answer a "big black woman" crashed through the door knocking him on his arse. She found his wallet and some cash and ran out. He said the whole thing lasted less than a minute. He was a little bruised but very scared. Shortly after that he bought a Charter Arms Undercover and stashed it in his pantry. We tried to explain that a 38 hidden behind a box of crackers wouldn't do him any good. He was worried that if it happened again and they found the gun he would end up dead so we left it alone. At least it gave him a little peace of mind knowing it was there.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Once I'm home and in my sweats I don't carry but it's never more than arm length away while I'm in the house. Sometimes I am doing yard work or walking the dog without carrying but now after thinking about that I'm going to make more of an effort to always carry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Within arm's reach.

My neighbor David's handgun was within arm's reach. One in the house, one in the glove box. He was shot in the head in his driveway. Just sayin'...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I carry whenever I am awake and have one nearby when I am not. I wear my pistol in the house, while gardening or whatever I am doing in the yard. I used to just take it with me when I left to go off the property but there is just too much craziness in our world anymore to not be prepared. My neighbors cannot see my house or into my yard so I doubt anyone would hear or see anything if someone came here to do us harm.

She sure does! I snapped a few pictures last weekend while Mom was doing yard work.
    ddfef28ce41baab275b6b8a8b7c83285.jpg

Top Bottom