• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm curious why you think Vista keeps the money? I just found a card I forgot today and Amex had eaten $26 of the $100 because I forgot it. The company offering the rebate that bought it gets nothing as I see it.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I received my prepaid card from Vista Outdoors for ammo that I purchased on Black Friday. I used the card to pay for groceries, Rural King, whatever until the card was empty. But I should be getting 2 more rebates from Vista for Uncle Mike's holsters that I purchased! Vista sent me an email saying the rebates have been approved, yet still I wait for my money. 6 days a week my sad face returns from the mailbox, no prepaid cards for me today. It's my money and I want it now!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I just used a pre-paid card last night at WallFart in self checkout. My total was more than the card's limit but to my surprise, the card it just gave the max and the machine just asked for the rest. Before you had to have a person enter the max you would like each card to be used which was a hassle because I found that some derps didn't know how to do this.

They have finally updated the tech to keep up.... so far.

Anyone not wanting their rebate cards, please contact me and I will take them off your hands.
    My kids like to eat....... EVERYTHING! :n00b:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm curious why you think Vista keeps the money? I just found a card I forgot today and Amex had eaten $26 of the $100 because I forgot it. The company offering the rebate that bought it gets nothing as I see it.

Because that's how debit cards work. Money that isn't spent stays in the account, which in this case is Vista's account.

American Express is different than Visa and Mastercard. Visa and Mastercard are payment processing systems; they don't hold any money for you. A bank holds money, and the payment processor tracks how much money is to be transferred from one account to another. That's why Visa and Mastercard are both issued by a bank rather than simply from themselves.
    American Express is both a payment processing system and a financial institution in its own right. (Discover is, too.) Banks don't issue Amex cards; only Amex does.

When you have a prepaid Visa or Mastercard, the money connected to that is in some bank account. Visa and Mastercard don't have the money connected to that card.
    When you have a prepaid Amex card, Amex has all of the money already.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I just used a pre-paid card last night at WallFart in self checkout. My total was more than the card's limit but to my surprise, the card it just gave the max and the machine just asked for the rest. Before you had to have a person enter the max you would like each card to be used which was a hassle because I found that some derps didn't know how to do this.

OK, if this is now the case, then I don't have any complaints anymore.

I'll give it a try... after the hold from Amazon falls off.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Somebody needs to get some ****ing perspective in life.

True. I said that this is the worst thing that has ever happened. I said that everyone should boycott. This is basically my own version of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Is this a dealbreaker to where I am going to boycott all Vista products? No, probably not. First world problem? Yeah, definitely.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm thinking of starting a business, paying 80% of the value of any prepaid MasterCard or Visa in cash to people who are not smart enough to figure out that having an extra $20 to spend wherever credit cards are accepted = $20 of their own cash that is now free to be spent anywhere cash is accepted.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    While we're talking about things that aren't right and misleading. I want the last 6 minutes of my life back, for being mislead into thinking there was something of value in this thread.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm thinking of starting a business, paying 80% of the value of any prepaid MasterCard or Visa in cash to people who are not smart enough to figure out that having an extra $20 to spend wherever credit cards are accepted = $20 of their own cash that is now free to be spent anywhere cash is accepted.

Yep, I am stupid.

I genuinely thought that I could post about an annoyance on INGO and not get a bunch of responses like this. I should have known better.

But don't worry; next time you post something for sale in the classifieds, I'll tell you that I will take it, and then after you've driven to the arranged meeting location, I will show up with a prepaid debit card for you. After all, nobody could reasonably be annoyed by such a thing.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    But don't worry; next time you post something for sale in the classifieds, I'll tell you that I will take it, and then after you've driven to the arranged meeting location, I will show up with a prepaid debit card for you. After all, nobody could reasonably be annoyed by such a thing.

Wow. I was right. :):

Yep, I am stupid.

No argument there.

:coffee:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I usually take mine and go to the gas station and use the full amount towards a tank of gas. Simple. No hassle. I always need gas.

The idea of using it as an Amazon credit is an easy solution, as well.

This all assumes I even remember to apply for the rebate....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I may be dreaming, but I thought there was legislation passed recently that stopped retailers from putting expiration dates/deducting value for these cards. Or am I thinking of gift cards (as opposed to prepaid debit cards)?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Anyone not wanting their rebate cards, please contact me and I will take them off your hands.
    My kids like to eat....... EVERYTHING! :n00b:

It's designed to run the Snap Card first and then the not needed consumables.. Geesh..

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I usually avoid rebate offers, I perfer to pay a little more due to the hassle. BUT the Federal Black rebate offer of about 12/18 was too good to pass up! Son and I both decided to take advantage and I ordered four (4) bulk packs of 22LR ~ after rebate cost was about $16 ~ $17 a brick. Ended up with a debit card for $80 after about 3 months later.

As it happens I was in RK a week or so later and needed to purchase some ammo for a couple of new rifles - a 300 Win Mag and 450 Bushmaster. SO I picked up a couple of boxes of Bushmaster and one Win Mag at a cost of near $100 (dang that ammo is costly). Gave the clerk the card and told him to ring it up and I would pay the balance in cash. A couple minutes later the transaction was complete and I told him to trash the card. No hassle!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I usually avoid rebate offers, I perfer to pay a little more due to the hassle. BUT the Federal Black rebate offer of about 12/18 was too good to pass up! Son and I both decided to take advantage and I ordered four (4) bulk packs of 22LR ~ after rebate cost was about $16 ~ $17 a brick. Ended up with a debit card for $80 after about 3 months later.

As it happens I was in RK a week or so later and needed to purchase some ammo for a couple of new rifles - a 300 Win Mag and 450 Bushmaster. SO I picked up a couple of boxes of Bushmaster and one Win Mag at a cost of near $100 (dang that ammo is costly). Gave the clerk the card and told him to ring it up and I would pay the balance in cash. A couple minutes later the transaction was complete and I told him to trash the card. No hassle!

I used my last one on more ammo that was also eligible for rebate. Love turning rebate money into more rebate money.

Use it for groceries or whatever essentially turns it directly into something you would spend money on anyway.

I personally have no issues with these types of cards. I have turned them into groceries, guns, more ammo, etc without any issues in the past.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom