• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I note that the article stated “the gun accidentally discharged.” Not to lessen the severity and sadness of this incident, but once again it seems the reporter mistates the obvious. The description should have read “ the gun was fired by an incompetent idiot who had no understanding of the four gun handling safety rules.”

The way it was written, however, supports the theory that guns in and of themselves are bad.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So sad.

About the stupidity of people, my daughter is a neuroscientist and her most asked question is "why are there so many stupid people". Years of research has yet to uncover the stupid section of the brain.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My guess is that a single rule--if you don't want to kill it, don't point a gun at it--would yield satisfactory results.
    im mostly good with that, excepting the fact that I’ve pointed in on somebodies that probably needed shot, but they decided the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. I did want to kill it, four times, alas, someone’s cooler head prevailed.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think the one thing we can all take from this is that if we know of someone who exhibits poor gun handling we must make it our responsibility to educate them!

This includes the people you see at the range. I am about as shy, timid, and quiet as anyone out there. In other words, there is no one less likely to speak up in a crowd than me. However, there have been multiple times that I have said something to total strangers at the range that weren't keeping the muzzle pointed downrange. Some of them have glared at me, some of them packed up and left, usually they are embarrassed and apologize, but they have all stopped doing it! I am not mean or condescending when I say something. I simply point out what they are doing and ask them to stop, but it is clear to them from my tone that what they are doing is unacceptable.

If you have a conversation about guns, simply bring up the topic at some point. Why not make sure everyone you meet knows the rules, and why they are important, instead of assuming they do?

If you work in a gun store, it should be something you discuss with every sale. I don't doubt there will be some people that are offended by it, but those are exactly the people that need to hear it. It would be a simple thing to make sure the rules are posted very visibly and just point to them while mentioning to the customer that it is vital to their safety and others that they know and follow those rules.

I'm going to go post this story on my Facebook page right now, with a discussion of the rules.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    While I place the responsibility for this tragedy squarely on the father, I SO wish gun designers would quit designing guns such that you have to pull the trigger in order to break them down for cleaning. I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but they were wrong. :xmad:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You assume people listen.

Need to work a gun shop to see what you're up against.

People usually only hear and respond to what they want to. If you push a rule/activity on them the resistance mode kicks in and they will not respond in an appropriate manner. Not all people but you get my drift. Hard headed self centered individuals (we all know them) are the ones that end up in these situations IMHO.
    Then there are those who are just to ****ing stupid to have a drivers license let alone own a gun. We all know of them as well.

We are all prone to brain farts and mistakes. Pointing a gun at a 6 year old is neither one of those. It is beyond stupid. Was this also an issue in an idiot shooting his daughter not all that long ago.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    How unusual that the father believed it to be unloaded. I'll bet no one has ever said that before.

If only there one simple rule that would have prevented this thinking and made us all realize that all guns were always loaded. If only we knew what they rule was without causing a Code Red Butthurt on INGO.

This is NOT the time for a “look at me, acknowledge I’m right!” moment.

Tragedy indeed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Precisely the time. Obeying the rules saves lives.

We cannot brig the child back. However, we can prevent another child from being killed if we only obey the Four Rules.

Stop making excuses, start obeying them.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The news story says it took place at 10:30pm. This makes me wonder if "Dad" was impaired somehow, alcohol, prescription drugs, too tired and should not have been cleaning the gun at that time.
    I'm sure the Father is sick to his stomach too. I could not imagine being that irresponsible.
    This will sound completely judgemental and condescending on my part, I was at the BMV branch closest to my house, Meridian St. just South of Thompson Rd.
    Looking around at the people there, a cross section of the population, first thing I told my Wife was: "We need to move", aside from that I truly see why Democrats or other "gun grabbing" Politicians want more gun control.

Just to be clear I am NOT for more gun laws, as we all know the current ones are plenty. But just based on appearance alone, and the distractedness of people not paying attention when their number was called.
    I thought some of these people should not have the privilege to drive, let alone be trusted with firearms.
    I was also thankful for my own job, as there is no way in h*ll I could work there and deal with idiots all day.

Anyway back on topic, like everything else in life, some people should not own firearms. And this guy is probably one of them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Predictably, you're about as helpful as the writers of the news piece. I'm not mad at you - I know this is your schtick - but neither cleaning the gun nor thinking it was unloaded would have harmed his child ...it was his actual violations of safe gun handling.

You know this, even if you choose to role-play right past that fundamental fact.

You know what would have been helpful here--teaching the father that all guns are loaded.

The little schtick of being smarter than the Four Rules so we can tell everyone how cool we are isn't helping.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The news story says it took place at 10:30pm. This makes me wonder if "Dad" was impaired somehow, alcohol, prescription drugs, too tired and should not have been cleaning the gun at that time.
    I'm sure the Father is sick to his stomach too. I could not imagine being that irresponsible.
    This will sound completely judgemental and condescending on my part, I was at the BMV branch closest to my house, Meridian St. just South of Thompson Rd.
    Looking around at the people there, a cross section of the population, first thing I told my Wife was: "We need to move", aside from that I truly see why Democrats or other "gun grabbing" Politicians want more gun control.

Just to be clear I am NOT for more gun laws, as we all know the current ones are plenty. But just based on appearance alone, and the distractedness of people not paying attention when their number was called.
    I thought some of these people should not have the privilege to drive, let alone be trusted with firearms.
    I was also thankful for my own job, as there is no way in h*ll I could work there and deal with idiots all day.

Anyway back on topic, like everything else in life, some people should not own firearms. And this guy is probably one of them.

I can't believe that I'm "that guy" dragging cars into the argument, but by your logic, some people should not own cars either. The problem with both cars and guns is that you don't know who is going to make a careless mistake with one until it's too late. If people used them responsibly and safely, we would not need to talk about taking them away.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I can't believe that I'm "that guy" dragging cars into the argument, but by your logic, some people should not own cars either. The problem with both cars and guns is that you don't know who is going to make a careless mistake with one until it's too late. If people used them responsibly and safely, we would not need to talk about taking them away.

You are correct, some people should not own cars either.
    We are ALL judgemental at times, we ALL stereotype at times too. I will not apologize for being the way I am.
    Reading CM's post, made me think of my experience yesterday while re-newing my DL to get my "Real I.D.", new law in case you are not aware.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You know what would have been helpful here--teaching the father that all guns are loaded.

The little schtick of being smarter than the Four Rules so we can tell everyone how cool we are isn't helping.
    I completely understand what you mean. And you are right. I do it too.
    People have ZERO self respect. I dont care if someone is covered from head to toe In dirt or grease because they just got off work, nor what type of clothes they have on from low to high. A persons economic status doesnt make him or her any less important than Warren buffett and he is no better than them. However who you are and the way you act and be to others does define you and rank you among your peera. You can tell soooooo much by a persons body language and how they interact among other people/strangers.
    My parents used a saying if us kids were acting up, stop acting like you were raised in a barn. One of many sayings I assure you.
    But today I think if some of these clowns were raised in a barn that would be a step up by the way they conduct themselves in public and towards others.
    And no not everyone should be able to own a car. It is a priviledge not a right and a car is meant to be driven on the road and it can be used irresponsibly just like a gun to kill but it is not a weapon of self defense (by constitutional definitions). I believe the rules and certifications to obtain the priviledge to drive on the roads among other humans should be a very high bar to pass and maintained.
    I think people should be getting their licenses AND cars taken away left and right.

My condolences to the family of this little angel. As a Dad I cannot even imagine the pain they are in. My wife & kids are my world.
    If other parents want to know how easily this can be prevented and somehow they are reading INGO (we do get a lot of readers who never join), please seek out gun training by a professional. Or at a minimum just look up the 4 rules of gun safety. Lives do depend on it. Maybe your own.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There's no update on the link in the OP. Many years earlier (early 1960s) and not far from where this tragedy occurred a teenager was killed by a ricochet off a concrete wall. The rifle was thought to be unloaded. The person who pulled the trigger was 16 at the time. I knew this this man as an adult, to say he was an alcoholic was an understatement. I don't think anyone who knew him would say he wasn't an alcoholic, or that anything other than the tragic accident that took another teen's life sent him down that path.

Did it go through a wall? Was there a ricochet? We don't know at this point. It comes down to a man did not ensure the weapon was unloaded by removing the ammunition source and looking in the chamber.

Having to live the rest of your life knowing you are responsible for your child's death is a fate worse than anything I can imagine.

We must never get complacent with firearms. We must also be willing to tell friends, relatives, and total strangers when there actions are dangerous to correct the behavior.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You assume people listen.

Need to work a gun shop to see what you're up against.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, I do not assume people listen. I assume that people not accidentally shooting their children is worth the effort it takes to try to educate them. Assuming that you can't make a difference is failing without even trying.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Seems like in any BMV I've been to, there does seem to be a preponderance of slack-jawed mouthbreathers. That branch doesn't seem to be any better or worse than others. Oh, and we must be neighbors! I only live about a block from that branch. Used to hunt rabbits where it now stands. :)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    How unusual that the father believed it to be unloaded. I'll bet no one has ever said that before.

If only there one simple rule that would have prevented this thinking and made us all realize that all guns were always loaded. If only we knew what they rule was without causing a Code Red Butthurt on INGO.

I think we can all agree that it is far more effective to be mad at Kirk Freeman for teaching us about gun safety rather than saving another life.

Another week, another life.

The Four Rules, they are just that simple, they are life.

:wrongdoor:

Top Bottom