• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I just wish people would stop calling malfunctions "jams". Jam is something you put on toast.

It drives me batty... perhaps I'm just an a-hole. <shrug>

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rule 1. Learn the 4 rules of gun safety till you can recite them in your sleep!

Rule 2. KNOW HOW YOUR GUN WORKS!

Rule 3. This is one I created for myself: If you can' fix or clear the malfunction easily, lay it down keeping the muzzle down range, take a breath, and Think for a moment or two.

Had to do rule three three the fist time we took my wifes M4 to the range. got a weird cartridge jam. Shell was jammed partially in the chamber and bolt would not move, and stuck in the mag as well. Could not clear it easily, set it down, thought for a few moments. Cleared it by removing the mag, separating the upper and lower receiver, which gave me clear access to the round and No hammer or trigger to accidentally touch. With the mag out and receivers separated easily able to get the bolt unstuck and round removed.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just read this in our local paper. Anyone know the family involved, or any chance they are INGO members?

This weekend was a great day to be at the range enjoying the weather. It is a shame this happened and I hope the lady makes a full recovery.

Accidents do happen, and when it is all said and done, I think there were a lot of things that went wrong (such as following the 4 rules) that could have prevented it.

I think this is a great example of the need to make sure all shooters know safe shooting techniques, including how to handle malfunctions, and is yet another good reason to invest in some firearms training.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Blame will be assigned as fits the narrative. Either the firearm itself will be at fault, or the psychopath that would own such a device, depending on how it can be made to appear the worst. No surprises. Violations of accepted safety rules are irrelevant, since "stupid" or "negligent" don't fit into the "evil" storyline.
    This is pretty acurate about the reporting.

A failure of the four rules appears to be thinning the heard again.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I am colorblind, I already had my eyes checked. :(
    So sometimes I use blue and not purple, I meant to use the purple . :n00b:

It's a curse sometimes but I can see camo from a mile away and some other things that non-colorblind people cant see. ;)

I am too. That's why after i click a color I always check to make sure it says purple.

Good thing about color blindness is I can wear miss matched clothes and have an excuse!!

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    While it's a shame that this happened, I for one am happy that it wasn't a child this time, we've had so many kids shooting each other with there parents improperly stored firearms in the past 6 months, that I've had trouble distinguishing between accidents and plain negligence. My prayers are with the family, hopefully she makes a full and speedy recovery.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If she survives, I bet she learns to clear her own jams from now on.

One of the First things I teach Persons, Functions, Malfunctions, and How to Clear the Issue...

My wife was pretty annoyed with me by the time "we" actually got to the Range and started shooting. After She understood why I was such an Ass about it...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I've read of a gun locking up just out of battery with a live round, being unable to remove mag, and being unable to rack the slide....at least that person realized they needed a smith...

That time I believe it was a broken barrel link on a 1911 getting wedged between the slide and barrel...

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Great post. Just because you cannot repeat them too many times, here are the 4 rules:

1. Always treat all guns as if they are loaded. This applies to a gun you "know" is unloaded.
    2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. A safe direction means that if the gun were to fire, no one would be injured and nothing would be damaged.
    3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. This means only place your finger on the trigger when you are lined up and on target.
    4. Always know your target and what is beyond. This means you can see your target and what is behind it. If you miss the target, no one will be injured and nothing will be damaged.

If only these rules are followed, things like this wouldn't happen.

Rule 1. Learn the 4 rules of gun safety till you can recite them in your sleep!

Rule 2. KNOW HOW YOUR GUN WORKS!

Rule 3. This is one I created for myself: If you can' fix or clear the malfunction easily, lay it down keeping the muzzle down range, take a breath, and Think for a moment or two.

Had to do rule three three the fist time we took my wifes M4 to the range. got a weird cartridge jam. Shell was jammed partially in the chamber and bolt would not move, and stuck in the mag as well. Could not clear it easily, set it down, thought for a few moments. Cleared it by removing the mag, separating the upper and lower receiver, which gave me clear access to the round and No hammer or trigger to accidentally touch. With the mag out and receivers separated easily able to get the bolt unstuck and round removed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let's all sing the Four Rules Song (kirtan):

My gun is loaded, yes it is;
    This one's Kirk's and so is his.

I'll point my gun at nothing at all;
    if I do it'll be a brick wall.

My finger is straight, in this I'll never hesitate;
    It'll never linger on the trigger.

I'll check my target to see what will be hit;
    I never want to end up in a pit.

You can sing or chant it. It works good for kids.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If she survives, I bet she learns to clear her own jams from now on.

This!

If a person doesnt know how to clear jams (with apologies to Full-Auto) they should not be handling a firearm. Every person I ever taught how to shoot, is in for at least 15-20 minutes of talking about safety... and honestly, that's not nearly enough.

Thomas Carey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Very sad to see this. It seems like shooter safety is not being taught to as many people as it should be.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    My Great grandpa called a "jam", a jam. So the term has probably been around far longer than any of us. But keep this in mind also, there several types of malfunctions that can occur with a firearm, a jam is just one of them.

Per m-w.com jam as a verb has been in use since 1706.

linky: Jam - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

:)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Top Bottom