• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Paul @ PW Knives told me he was impressed with how they ran the show behind the scenes. Very well organized. They did allow tempering off the clock in between rounds. I don't remember if he said the show was shot in one day or not. I can call and ask him if we don't hear back from the local guy.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    my biggest question is since they give him the steel to make the first blade, and they have to surrender it when they leave, do they get to keep the blade they made for the final showdown? since the smith supplies everything[/QUOTE]

I obviously haven't been on the show but if I understand correctly the 10K is basically buying your blade. and they keep them. If you look around on the wall during the show you will see a bunch of the old blades hanging around

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    my biggest question is since they give him the steel to make the first blade, and they have to surrender it when they leave, do they get to keep the blade they made for the final showdown? since the smith supplies everything

I obviously haven't been on the show but if I understand correctly the 10K is basically buying your blade. and they keep them. If you look around on the wall during the show you will see a bunch of the old blades hanging around[/QUOTE]

That is the way I've always understood it too. They appear to keep all blades made on the show.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I see all the losing blades on the walls, but I've yet to see a winning blade hanging (maybe doug markida takes them home and "keel's" things with them)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I love it when they can sever a pig or other large animal carcass with a slash or chop. When they severed with boars in two with those Espadas ... essentially giant pocket knives ... I giggled for quite a while.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ... They did allow tempering off the clock in between rounds...

Thanks for that info.

They show the knives being "quenched" (hardened) but never mention tempering which can take many hours. Without tempering I did not understand why the knives were not brittle as glass.

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I saw that show for the first time last week. Neat show knives have always been my first love. My oldest son saws its his new favorite show. Let the rerun Bing watching begin!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just an FYI for you budding smiths. My buddy will be in town teaching a class and having a demo this July. Should be a blast.

16i5qvp.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I get asked about three to five times a week if Ive seen the show. When I say that I haven't, whoever it is tells me I absolutely must watch it. For this reason alone I will never watch it.

Wouldn't mind taking a blacksmithing class from that Nagel guy, though, just to see what it's like. I could probably find someone more local or go down and visit Gamez down in SC and take a class from him (he used to be on here a lot and now blacksmiths for a living).

harmonyaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    I was really intrigued by the firest dozen or so episodes but then it seemed really repetetive to me. I am with some of the other members here, having a very limited time frame to produce your finest quality work seems like a bad idea but then it is TV after all.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I dunno... Having a limited amount of time to produce your best work is just what I call real life.

It also separates the true craftsman from the amateur.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i think the ultimate forged in fire competitors would be
    1 jay nielson
    2 Jason knight
    3 david baker
    4 ben abbot

all are blade smiths, all can make knives, one has won on the show twice, and the other 3 sit and pass judgement on the other makers, lets see what they can do in 6 hours!

since we know what ben abbot is capable of, we can change him out with a first round looser, someone who had no chance of making it to the second round

keep doug marcaida as a judge, and if ben abbot isn't a competitor, he's the second judge, and as a surprise judge, it's either a random winner for a past show, OR wil willis! I think he's seen enough to be a fair judge, he knows what they're looking for in a quality blade. or they could have 2 judges for the first round, and the one they don't pick becomes the 3 judge for round 2 and the home forging

the 10 thousand dollars for the winner would be donated to a charity of the winners choice.

I know it'll never happen, but that episode would be on my dvr forever!, but I think it'd be a pretty good show don't you?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd love to see Ilya Alekseyev compete on Forged in Fire. I've watched every video he's done on Man at Arms: Reforged. That guy is amazing to watch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    i think the ultimate forged in fire competitors would be
    1 jay nielson
    2 Jason knight
    3 david baker
    4 ben abbot

all are blade smiths, all can make knives, one has won on the show twice, and the other 3 sit and pass judgement on the other makers, lets see what they can do in 6 hours!

since we know what ben abbot is capable of, we can change him out with a first round looser, someone who had no chance of making it to the second round

keep doug marcaida as a judge, and if ben abbot isn't a competitor, he's the second judge, and as a surprise judge, it's either a random winner for a past show, OR wil willis! I think he's seen enough to be a fair judge, he knows what they're looking for in a quality blade. or they could have 2 judges for the first round, and the one they don't pick becomes the 3 judge for round 2 and the home forging

the 10 thousand dollars for the winner would be donated to a charity of the winners choice.

I know it'll never happen, but that episode would be on my dvr forever!, but I think it'd be a pretty good show don't you?

The smart money is on J. Nielson for the win.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Jahred makes great stuff, I have three of his knives.

I get asked about three to five times a week if Ive seen the show. When I say that I haven't, whoever it is tells me I absolutely must watch it. For this reason alone I will never watch it.

Wouldn't mind taking a blacksmithing class from that Nagel guy, though, just to see what it's like. I could probably find someone more local or go down and visit Gamez down in SC and take a class from him (he used to be on here a lot and now blacksmiths for a living).

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'd love to see Ilya Alekseyev compete on Forged in Fire. I've watched every video he's done on Man at Arms: Reforged. That guy is amazing to watch.

he was! he won the show, season 2 episode 3 the spiked shield episode

an interesting note the smith he beat (Michael Coffee) works at dragon breath forge, he was the 3rd smith from that forge to be on the show, and the first to be beat!

to me Ilya seamed arrogant, cocky, and full of himself, and he should have been! if I remember correctly he made both a good knife, and a great shield, he deserved to win!

tbh my favorite competitor on the show was ryu lim, watching him at his home forge (made out of a satellite dish) in his back yard hammering away makes me want to order one of his knives!

Top Bottom