My latest stipple job.

hk-p30-9mm-handgun-p45-grip-panels.jpg

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Agreed! Function and performance are always better than appearance.
    The trigger guard cut definitely improves recoil management. It's simple physics. The higher your hand is, in relation to the bore, the more lock you have at the beavertail. Of course, if I slowly pull the trigger once every 5 seconds, then all of this is moot.
    Two principles I go by
    1: If it looks stupid but works better, even slightly, its not stupid. Function is always > Form
    2: K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
    The stippling is better than grip tape, its not something that will come off and not an extra part. It may be unlikely sure, but I would rather have impossible over highly improbable. Its adds performance without adding any new parts. Good job

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The slide looks nice.

If it made the gun better to krylon the slide tie dye I would do it. Looks just don't matter... at all. Unless it's a 1911, in which case it better look good, because it won't run good. *without a large investment in time and money with a qualified person to fix and replace all the broken bits with proper ones.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    There is no way that shoots or feels any better than a stock G19 with talon grip tape.

Sure it does. Shoots better because you get a higher grip with the undercut, it's extremely noticeable after you have shot one with and one without. The undercut really screws up the placement of the fingergrooves, even more than factory so they must go. Grip tape is less and less effective the more sweaty your palms get, it just gets slippery. The large deep squid stipples let the sweat funnel away from your palm and help you keep a positive grip all day long. It's also less abrasive on your hand than sandpaper. It's an all around upgrade to grip tape, not to mention sweat, grease, and oil will not make the stipple fall off while the grip tape will eventually give up and curl off.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I finished butchering the 22's little brother, to be fair, when I got this 17 someone had cut an uneven arch in the front of the grip... Sooo it actually may be an upgrade from where it was.

JEPtrCX.jpg

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    It's like anything, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There are all sorts of people trading/selling DYI customized guns and knives on many online boards and swap meets. That said, I don't know why anyone would buy a tool or a toy that's been fitted exactly for someone else's hands or taste. Personally, I have 2 mottos. One, "my most favorite gun is my next one". Two, "once I buy it, it goes into the safe".
    What does this sort of personal "customizing" do to resale?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder what results folks have found when they are looking for "someone willing to pay," for their customization?

Do they make a higher return, compensating for the labor and craftsmanship involved?

Do they make less for the "butchered" gun, than they would for the same gun unscathed?

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    You'd have to consider the entire package. Almost always, when someone customizes his firearm, it's just not a stipple job here or a colorfill there. More than likely, the gun will also have after-market trigger, expensive sights, heavier guide rod, match grade barrel, etc. That's what I do to my guns. Those are the improvements that folks are willing to pay for. Let's use my Camaro SS as example. I bought it used 4 years ago with 15K miles. I immediately tinted the windows, added an amp and subwoofer, installed the invisible bra, etc. I swapped out factory rims for blacked-out ones. I modified the exhaust to get the rumble sound. I even hand-painted all the silver SS logos black to match the new rims. The interior plastic trimmings were silver; well, I made them all red to match the exterior color of the car. See, now the car is really mine, just the way I wanted it. After having done all of those things, I thought who in the world would want to buy MY car. Well, a couple months ago, I put it up for sale, it has 61K miles now. Guess what, to my surprise, I ended up getting $2200 more than what I originally paid for it. Sorry for the long story, but there are a lot of people who want things different than stocked OEM.
    I wonder what results folks have found when they are looking for "someone willing to pay," for their customization?

Do they make a higher return, compensating for the labor and craftsmanship involved?

Do they make less for the "butchered" gun, than they would for the same gun unscathed?

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Those deep gouges have me worried about the durability of the frame. I stippled my gen3 19 with a fine tip, and barely touched it until the polymer started to bubble. It actually raised from the surface area of the grip probably 0.1-0.2mm.

To each their own, but my fine tip stipple job flexes less than a factory gen3 non-stippled magwell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJO3AqbA93r/

I also basically used google images for inspiration for mine, and I wanted to mimic a sandpaper feel. The grip no longer needs readjustment, and doesn't slip, with anything on my hands. Now that the gen5 frame was released, the stippled gen3 is relegated to carry only when I feel like it. The gen5 17 grip is everything I wanted from removing the finger grooves in the first place, the stipple wasn't the priority.

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Looks good.
    Those deep gouges have me worried about the durability of the frame. I stippled my gen3 19 with a fine tip, and barely touched it until the polymer started to bubble. It actually raised from the surface area of the grip probably 0.1-0.2mm.

To each their own, but my fine tip stipple job flexes less than a factory gen3 non-stippled magwell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJO3AqbA93r/

I also basically used google images for inspiration for mine, and I wanted to mimic a sandpaper feel. The grip no longer needs readjustment, and doesn't slip, with anything on my hands. Now that the gen5 frame was released, the stippled gen3 is relegated to carry only when I feel like it. The gen5 17 grip is everything I wanted from removing the finger grooves in the first place, the stipple wasn't the priority.

Top Bottom