• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a Crosman Storm xt that I think has a broken spring. Rattles a bit if i shake it, and accuracy has droped to a large degree.

Any advice on replacement spring or any other advice regarding this?
    when I was researching upgrades for my rifle I came across a lot of people that said to call Crosman (can't order on the web site, but you can get the phone #) and they are very willing and helpful getting you replacement parts.....a BIG strike AGAINST Gamo btw.....and you can usually find exploded assembly prints for the Crosman's online....
    hope it helps....

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    In addition to my air rifle weighing over 11 lbs, I have a 5.25 lb lead weight screwed into the handstop rail. 50 hard holding shots from the offhand position really takes a toll on the muscle systems. Of course, the more I practice, the lighter my centerfire match rifle feels and the higher my 200 yard offhand score.

It is fun to see how well you can mechanically make a rifle/ammo combination perform, so sandbags and benches have a place, but I could never stop there. It is far more personally rewarding to develop your skill set to actually hold the rifle. It is meant to be a portable piece of equipment, not an artillery piece. When you shoot well from the offhand, knelling, sitting or prone position with no artificial support, That is YOUR skill displayed on the target. Good or bad, it is a reflection of your riflemanship skills.

...that's what I'm "shooting" for Leo :rolleyes:...(I should smack my OWN back of the head for that one)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    question for you IndyGunworks that has puzzled me; I can see the use of a sled or bags (on a "real" rifle) to zero the scope/sights but, by not letting the air rifle "buck" as it will when I infantry hold, isn't that procedure useless to zero-ing an air rifle?

Not sure I entirely understand your question... Can you please refrase? To clarify, my thoughts about a lead sled are the same regardless of it being an air rifle OR a firearm.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    In addition to my air rifle weighing over 11 lbs, I have a 5.25 lb lead weight screwed into the handstop rail. 50 hard holding shots from the offhand position really takes a toll on the muscle systems. Of course, the more I practice, the lighter my centerfire match rifle feels and the higher my 200 yard offhand score.

It is fun to see how well you can mechanically make a rifle/ammo combination perform, so sandbags and benches have a place, but I could never stop there. It is far more personally rewarding to develop your skill set to actually hold the rifle. It is meant to be a portable piece of equipment, not an artillery piece. When you shoot well from the offhand, knelling, sitting or prone position with no artificial support, That is YOUR skill displayed on the target. Good or bad, it is a reflection of your riflemanship skills.

How long did it take you to develop the fine motor control w/ that much weight hanging off the end and a rifle that heavy? My goal is 50 shots a day at least 5 days a week. I figure in about 6 months I might be able to be competitive at the local level.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I only have a couple of Gamo's. Good for fun in the backyard and chipmunk control. One question for you guys....What are some high quality .177 pellet brands out there? I've only seen Crossman and Gamo at the stores. The Crossman's seem a bit more consistent than most of the Gamo pellets...With some of the Gamo pellets it seems every other pellet has a screwed up skirt or a different diameter. Seems to really impact accuracy at 25+ yds

most of the Beeman pellets are good, a lot of them are rebranded H&N, which, you know.

I personally shoot JSB Exact (Czech Republic) in all calibers. they are made of softer lead, very consistent in size and weight, and slightly over sized on the skirt. i.e. for .22/5.5mm, JSB is 5.52mm. the oversized skirt helps seal the projectile and less air/gas blow by. it helps making more consistent predictable shoots, more importantly, more efficient.

Exact22.png

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Not sure I entirely understand your question... Can you please refrase? To clarify, my thoughts about a lead sled are the same regardless of it being an air rifle OR a firearm.

ok, if I use the infantry hold, which is commonly agreed to be produce the most repeatable accuracy in air rifles
    the purpose is to let the rifle recoil and move the way "it wants to" and I adjust my aim accordingly to bring the impact on target (either by hold or scope adjustments)
    if this is true so far,
    isn't using a fixed hold on the air rifle (like a sled) to zero the scope useless? ..better?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Hmmm... I honestly don't know if I have an answer to your question. I have never heard the term "infantry hold" before, and googling it doesn't really produce much for me to read about it with. IMO the key to accuracy while shooting a pellet gun is follow through. Since its traveling so slow any movement you make after pulling the trigger before the pellet is out of the barrel will hinder accuracy.

Also, the position you are in, in relation to the stock/trigger as well as head pressure on the cheek comb and everything come into play during the firing of the rifle. So using a lead sled to zero the gun may very very well not be the same zero once its taken out of the lead sled. Also while using it you yourself are not learning anything, and even the most experience shooters in the world learn something even if its just a little muscle memory every time they pull the trigger. Using a lead sled is not by any means helping you as a shooter.

Pellet guns are also very picky with vibrations and I cannot wrap my head around how the vibrations would be the same of a lead sled as they would be otherwise.

Hopefully that answers your question, and you may have a different opinion on the matter, but that's mine.

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Hmmm... I honestly don't know if I have an answer to your question. I have never heard the term "infantry hold" before, and googling it doesn't really produce much for me to read about it with. IMO the key to accuracy while shooting a pellet gun is follow through. Since its traveling so slow any movement you make after pulling the trigger before the pellet is out of the barrel will hinder accuracy.

Also, the position you are in, in relation to the stock/trigger as well as head pressure on the cheek comb and everything come into play during the firing of the rifle. So using a lead sled to zero the gun may very very well not be the same zero once its taken out of the lead sled. Also while using it you yourself are not learning anything, and even the most experience shooters in the world learn something even if its just a little muscle memory every time they pull the trigger. Using a lead sled is not by any means helping you as a shooter.

Pellet guns are also very picky with vibrations and I cannot wrap my head around how the vibrations would be the same of a lead sled as they would be otherwise.

Hopefully that answers your question, and you may have a different opinion on the matter, but that's mine.

I think we agree....as you say, any slight movement will affect it and "sledding it" is no where equivalent to shooting it

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Been enjoying air guns for the past three years and have been shooting in competitions for the last two years. Pictured are my Steyr LG110 HP .22 rifle with Hawke 8-32x56 scope and Steyr LP10 .177 pistol.
    steyrrifleandpistol003.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    How long did it take you to develop the fine motor control w/ that much weight hanging off the end and a rifle that heavy? My goal is 50 shots a day at least 5 days a week. I figure in about 6 months I might be able to be competitive at the local level.

If you are diligent for 6 months you will certainly see a marked improvement. You will be surprised how much you gain in a month. I started training with an Air rifle in 1996. I trained 5 or more days a week until 2003. That was the peak of my good history, prior to becoming legally blind and developing heart disease. I started shooting again last summer, and it is physically challenging, but even three days a week with the air rifle is helping me. Your practice must be good quality. Lots of shots is not good practice. Lots of good shots IS good practice. Hold hard on the sight picture to perfect it as much as you can before breaking the trigger. If you cannot get a good sight picture in 5 or 6 seconds, lower the rifle, breathe deep and start over. Only pull the trigger when you are confident of a good shot. This is the hardest thing, to discipline yourself not to pull the trigger in the eight ring, esp. when you are getting tired. Keep making yourself hold for tens. If that means you can only get 7 shots into the target that day, accept that as practice. The higher shot count will come with time.

When I was getting better, people kept commenting on how lucky I was. Yep, the harder I trained the luckier I got.

Be sure to keep it fun!

Jammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I'm not as serious as some of you, but I do enjoy hunting wasps and yellowjackets with my .22 QB78D.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I mostly shoot international air pistol, but have dabbled in international air rifle. For the air rifle, you'll find that a good fitting shooting jacket (must have buttons, not straps for international rules) will tighten up your groups and will help with the fatigue factor.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hoosier Hills will host international matches, including air rifle and air pistol beginning with the first match on October 5, 2013. Their indoor range in pretty much on the airport in Columbus, IN. Jerry Thomas will be running these matches. Here is his contact info: Phone: 812-376-8922 (home) E-mail: jathomas725@gmail.com

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I agree with "aim small, miss small" but what the h$%# kind of skills are YOU practicing?

At 10-15 yards it's not that difficult to swat a wasp. On the wing I have no chance, but when they land it's all over!

Optics help. A lot.

Top Bottom