Any Audiophiles, Home Theater aficioinados?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I've enjoyed movies and music since the days of VCR and Radio Shack eight track car audio. Started out with the typical record player/eight track home receiver in the early 1980's. I first bought a receiver, cd player and Bose 301s from Crutchfield in the later 80's. Well as you know things have changed a lot.

I bought a Plasma TV and Onkyo 7 channel AVR in 2010. Had a Sony PS3 that upconverted dvds well. I recently upgraded to a Samsung Frame TV and Marantz 9 channel receiver. The last few years I had a 5.1 surround using Axiom speakers from Canada. They have a trade in program and I was able to get 90% of the value of the center and front speakers to upgrade to larger wall mounts. The 55" Frame TV is my second Frame wall mount, the other a 43 inch on an enclosed porch. The artwork feature is a gamechanger for me and very pleasing to see instead of a black retangular blob on the wall. Of course I liked the OLEDs but they don't offer artwork and couldn't do it anyway due to burn in.

I researched quite a bit on AVS forum and decided to go ahead and purchase four Atmos in-ceiling speakers. They are not real expensive but the install, although not difficult, was a chore. The new 5.1.4 system is a huge improvement driven by the Marantz Home Theater AVR, creating a sound bubble that's quite enjoyable for movies and music. I bought a few 4k Blue ray discs to try out a budget Panasonic blue ray player I bought. I know that the hard media does not have the compressed or lesser AV info as streaming. Even Spotify music in multichannel stereo mode is pushed through the ceiling Atmos speakers.

I've learned a lot but would be interested in learning more and hearing about your setups. The new sound and video formats and equipment to utitilize have advanced geatly and it seems the media reformating is trying to catch up with the AVR equipment capabilities. I plan to get a phono record player soon and collect some vinyl many of got rid of decades ago. I've also heard that the older tube style equipment has a resurgence.

GridArt_20230427_092759994~2.jpg

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    we plan to get a Frame and similar setup for our bar lounge once progress moves further. looks great Tim, thanks for sharing. following for more ideas/advice

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I still have a disk based netflix subscription because the streaming services for the audio tracks. Haven't moved to an atmos setup yet because I would be in trouble making holes in the ceiling to do the install.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I still have a disk based netflix subscription because the streaming services for the audio tracks. Haven't moved to an atmos setup yet because I would be in trouble making holes in the ceiling to do the install
    I'd read on AVS forum that Netflix is ending the mail service. I've used it prior and really enjoyed the convenience. Was just announced April 18 that it is ending Sept 29. See this link:

I cut holes not only in the ceiling, but in the tops of the wall to fish the speaker line down to the bottom of the wall where I cut another hole! The accessories I used to run wall rated speaker wire into that bottom of wall hole are:

I don't have install experience but I have a sawzall ;) These are the speakers and they look great.

I bought some 4k discs from using this site that links to Amazon. It shows deals, Atmos based sound movies and plenty of other search types.

So far I've only found this 4k by mail rental service. Redbox lists 4k but none locally.

GridArt_20230427_150126704.jpg

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    This was the setup prior. Not even close on appearance, performance and sound mainly due to the 12 year old AVR processor, not the speakers.

PXL_20230324_141044840.jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I haven't had the chance to try any newer hi end audio stuff but the older pioneer Marantz and Kenwood stuff from the 70s and early 80s is having a resurgence in popularity. It really does sound different and to me better.
    My system is a Pioneer SX750 receiver 4 Bose 501s and a Sansui turntable with all the vintage vinyl from my youth.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    My mom has a setup with a JVC receiver with 1,000 watt Infinity speakers surrounding a 70" TV, with Polk audio woofers and sub-woofer acting as surround. This proved to be a little too much horsepower for her house, and unfortunately they rarely use it. The JVC has an onboard equalizer, further refining the experience. We also have a proper CD recorder/player/equalizer that we use for playing music as we don't use streaming services.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I'd read on AVS forum that Netflix is ending the mail service. I've used it prior and really enjoyed the convenience. Was just announced April 18 that it is ending Sept 29. See this link:

I cut holes not only in the ceiling, but in the tops of the wall to fish the speaker line down to the bottom of the wall where I cut another hole! The accessories I used to run wall rated speaker wire into that bottom of wall hole are:

I don't have install experience but I have a sawzall ;) These are the speakers and they look great.

I bought some 4k discs from using this site that links to Amazon. It shows deals, Atmos based sound movies and plenty of other search types.

So far I've only found this 4k by mail rental service. Redbox lists 4k but none locally.

View attachment 272282
    Thanks on the comments on the Atmos stuff. I'll have to look into that when I'm building my own home theater system. My stepdad and I may eventually get into Atmos recording/mixing/mastering, and would be nice to have a place to properly test it out. We'll have to get a new mixing board though, as it only supports stereo and 5.1. The Dolby Atmos mastering software is pretty cool, but is expensive and mainly runs on Mac.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    What about just regular audio equipment? You can't go wrong with an early 80's HK (Harmon Kardon) amp and tuner. You also can't go wrong with the other HK (Heckler Kock). Either way, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. :koolaid:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes I saw that too. It's unfortunate. I might have to buy disks again...

Nice work. I would have to so something similar. Speaker holes, small hole thorough several joists to reach the center, wall/ceiling corner, and thanks to our 10' ceilings, a hole around the 8' mark in the wall. Then patch/paint/enjoy. :cool:

I haven't worried about 4k too much. I enjoy the audio tracks more than a few extra pixels of resolution. Even on our 77" OLED I don't see a significant difference when watching one of the 4k streams vs my 1080 collection but I certainly hear the difference.

I haven't had the chance to try any newer hi end audio stuff but the older pioneer Marantz and Kenwood stuff from the 70s and early 80s is having a resurgence in popularity. It really does sound different and to me better.
    My system is a Pioneer SX750 receiver 4 Bose 501s and a Sansui turntable with all the vintage vinyl from my youth.
    What about just regular audio equipment? You can't go wrong with an early 80's HK (Harmon Kardon) amp and tuner. You also can't go wrong with the other HK (Heckler Kock). Either way, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. :koolaid:
    Amplifiers were built differently back then and lacked the room correction and other things the current generation can do so they will certainly have their own sound. Personal preference will dictate what you like best. If you want to enjoy the array of audio channels now available for movies though you'd have to process the signal with a modern unit and send each channel to one of the older amplifiers. Certainly doable, but lots of wires and amplifiers. :)

I've had a few AVRs starting from the 2000's era. Each time I tried something new. The shift from DTS/DD to DTS-HD/DD TrueHD was a good upgrade and more recently the Dirac Live room correction made a significant difference even over Yamaha's room correction from 2015.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    In the house we purchased in late 2019 (built in 2001) there was a home theater setup (multi channel receiver including Klipsch fronts, center, a Velo sub, and rear in the ceiling speakers) in a media room in the basement, that I purchased from previous owner. I stripped out some of the extraneous stuff and for now dropped my old Plasma TV down there (just an optical link to the receiver) and my Xbox One, etc. It has a built in set of cabinets which will house a pretty good sized TV (maybe a 65" I need to measure) but not some of the bigger ones. It's older equipment (don't believe it has HDMI, etc) and I'll admit I don't know much about "tuning" the sound, etc but I like it. I could replace the home theater multi channel receiver with a more modern one (It's an older Denon) but not sure I have a reason to dig into that currently.

Many of the other rooms were also hardwired with ceiling speakers (some with jacks in the walls), and he had an interesting setup in a closet on the main floor called a speaker distribution impedance matching system which basically keeps the long speaker wire runs and multiple speakers from drawing too much off the receiver, I believe.

He took the receiver he had in there when they moved, but I dropped in a cheap Sony STRDH190 receiver in the closet to feed the distribution system and that's kind of cool to pipe music into various rooms of the house through ceiling speakers or to the speakers outside in the deck area (I replaced the dead speakers out there with Polk Audio Atrium speakers). I can connect to the closet receiver bluetooth from my phone and play music from there.

Previous owner had wired some of speakers in the ceiling in the other room in the basement to feed off the home theater audio vs the closet receiver up stairs (I presume when they were entertaining and watching sports in media room). I cleaned that up and routed them back to the closet receiver for music as I prefer to keep the media room for movies, video games, etc and that sound contained.

Anyway, all older stuff that would be much better done these days with wireless, multi room, etc setups, but I haven't put much money into it (at least yet), except replacing speakers outside, and a cheap receiver, etc.

I probably would never have put any of this together to start with, but have done some rerouting, replacing, etc where needed.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a 1995 dennon AV 5.1 attached to kLIPSCH speakers and a diffenative technologies sub. Was great till a mouse crawled into the sub and ate the cone for bedding. (Little bastard). Now instead of the sub handling the bass I have to route it to the kLIPSCH maybe I can get the speaker cone cause the wife (non audiophile) does not think it sounds 500 dollars worse than it currently sounds. To me it lacks now during movies. To me it lacks in music also. Not enough to use my veto power and order a sub.

I run old pioneer two ways offf the b channel and even with those old pioneer's the front room sounds great. These were not expensive speakers but whoever designed them did a lot of good for the money.

I have a couple old tube amps/pre amps My wife wants me To part with. She wanted them gone more when she saw what the sell for used. Carver tube amps And pre amps are definitely nice sounding audiophile equipment. A little scratching while adjusting the volume but I think I can fix that with a can of spray.

Now streaming digital audio.

WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver, Chromecast Audio, WiFi Multiroom Streamer, Compatible with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant, Stream Hi-Res Audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal and More https://a.co/d/3GPQEBk

For the money I would look into this. Airplay 2 for us Apple users. Will run lossless audio well. No wifi worries when you have a Ethernet port on the device.

Thinking about adding this in but have not pulled the trigger
    AIYIMA T8 6N3 Digital Tube Preamplifier Bluetooth 5.0 Hi-Fi Headphone Vacuum Tube Preamp for Home Wireless Receiver Audio Decoder Preamp PC-USB DAC APTX + with Remote Control https://a.co/d/8XIiUqj

Nice Dac for the money

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I bought a couple Bose 301s in the mid/late 80s (think that's what they are). See one in post #5 on the bottom left. I like the vintage and just asked my Dad if my late 70s/maybe early 80s combo receiver/turntable was in his basement. If not I may no longer have a use for them and if you do I'd be glad to pass them along. I've stepped into a whole new system with the new setup, and can switch the audio to stereo and multichannel stereo for anything.

Here's a neat article and refurb video when I looked up your receiver.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Audio only. Setup from the early 80s:
    Hitachi 70 watt SR-604 class G receiver
    Onkyo CP 1020F turntable
    Harmon-Kardon HK 3500 tape deck, with bias trim, onboard Dolby test tone, mike-line mixing, multiple tape formulation settings
    Pioneer T300 ported speakers

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    My mom has a setup with a JVC receiver with 1,000 watt Infinity speakers surrounding a 70" TV, with Polk audio woofers and sub-woofer acting as surround. This proved to be a little too much horsepower for her house, and unfortunately they rarely use it. The JVC has an onboard equalizer, further refining the experience. We also have a proper CD recorder/player/equalizer that we use for playing music as we don't use streaming services.
    That sounds quite expensive to not use and enjoy. I've read on AVS forums if the AVR doesn't provide enough power/watts per channel to the speakers, or the speakers are mismatched, the higher volumes are not clean and enjoyable. Hopefully that's not the case but if so a proper amp for a receiver with pre-amp outputs may completely change the home theater. Also if it's not a receiver that has audio correction software using a small external microphone, it could not sound as well also.

Thanks on the comments on the Atmos stuff. I'll have to look into that when I'm building my own home theater system. My stepdad and I may eventually get into Atmos recording/mixing/mastering, and would be nice to have a place to properly test it out. We'll have to get a new mixing board though, as it only supports stereo and 5.1. The Dolby Atmos mastering software is pretty cool, but is expensive and mainly runs on Mac.

You're operating at a level I'm not at with the the mixing board. I've been watching this guys YT channel and he has a test room and does a lot of technical audio testing that I've learned from.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bought a couple Bose 301s in the mid/late 80s (think that's what they are). See one in post #5 on the bottom left. I like the vintage and just asked my Dad if my late 70s/maybe early 80s combo receiver/turntable was in his basement. If not I may no longer have a use for them and if you do I'd be glad to pass them along. I've stepped into a whole new system with the new setup, and can switch the audio to stereo and multichannel stereo for anything.

Here's a neat article and refurb video when I looked up your receiver.
    I've also got a pair of Bose 2.2 series II's I got from previous home owner as well.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Audio only. Setup from the early 80s:
    Hitachi 70 watt SR-604 class G receiver
    Onkyo CP 1020F turntable
    Harmon-Kardon HK 3500 tape deck, with bias trim, onboard Dolby test tone, mike-line mixing, multiple tape formulation settings
    Pioneer T300 ported speakers
    I just posted I'm going to see if my early 80s setup is in my Dad's basement. Any pics to share?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    As a young buck stationed in West Germany I went with Pioneer. Had an entire rack of equipment, and 4 of the big HPM 1100 speakers. Yes, I won some of the barracks stereo wars. Yes, Top had it locked up in the arms room a time or two... lol.

Pioneer rack stereo.png

All that's left 40+ years later is 2 of the speakers in the garage hooked up to a Denon AVR 1000 and a bluetooth receiver for jamming with the songs on my phone when working on my jeep.

In the house, I also have Denon receivers. 2 different ones. One, the AVR 3805, (that has a "pure direct stereo" setting) is hooked to a pair of Martin-Logan Motion 20 speakers, and a 12" Klipsch sub for streaming my music off my phone. (bluetooth)

The other receiver, a AVR X2200W, is for the TV. It runs Klipsch speakers, a second 12" sub and center channel. The surrounds are Polk, and Pioneer.

It's not really "audiophile", but it's probably above average. Anyway, I'm happy with it. Very happy with the music set-up. Just got the Martin-Logans not long ago (here off INGO) and there are very clear and accurate sounding. I heard an echo from the reverb on the drum kit on "Teanage Jail" by the Eagles after getting them that I never heard before... and I've been listening to that song for around 40 years... It just rolls off like a thunder clap does in the countryside... Gave me chills. "Dark Side of the Moon"... sweet Lord. Not as harsh on the high end as the HPMs are either. They almost don't need the sub... almost, but it does fill in that missing bottom end nicely. I have them in a big living room. Guy I got them from had them in a small "listening room".

Top Bottom