Any Audiophiles, Home Theater aficioinados?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks. I misspoke, I don't have Wi-Fi in the garage but the bluetooth adapter looks like what I need. I need to talk to Crutchfield anyway as I'm thinking about switching out the new AVR to a slimline.
    There are some better (more expensive) bluetooth adapters, I just happened to pick the low end as a starting point. That said, depending on how good your receiver is that you are using, there are receivers with bluetooth built in that are cheaper than just some of the bluetooth adapters.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    There are some better (more expensive) bluetooth adapters, I just happened to pick the low end as a starting point. That said, depending on how good your receiver is that you are using, there are receivers with bluetooth built in that are cheaper than just some of the bluetooth adapters.
    I think the cheap bluetooth adapter will be a good fit for the garage. I looked the receiver up. Bought in Feb 2011 for $380 to the door from Amazon.
    The new AVR was 6 times more (with open box) but its been very enjoyable with the new audio processing and 4 ceiling Atmos speakers I added for movies and music. I've got a lead on a collection of classical vinyl and looking forward to that. Only recently bought a record player and albums.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think the cheap bluetooth adapter will be a good fit for the garage. I looked the receiver up. Bought in Feb 2011 for $380 to the door from Amazon.
    The new AVR was 6 times more (with open box) but its been very enjoyable with the new audio processing and 4 ceiling Atmos speakers I added for movies and music. I've got a lead on a collection of classical vinyl and looking forward to that. Only recently bought a record player and albums.
    You have a more capable receiver in your garage than I have in "home theater" receiver that I "inherited" with this house. Mine is this one https://www.denon.com/on/demandware...ds/archived/avr-2801-owners-manual-global.pdf

No HDMI, etc and I just have the TV going into it using optical and the Xbox going into the TV via HDMI.

I'd probably upgrade/replace it, but I just don't know that much about this AV stuff and it works for now. It's in some built in cabinets with the speakers, etc. I've done a little bit of rewiring on a couple of items with in when we first moved in, but haven't pulled it out to get a full view of all the speaker wiring, etc.

That said I also have a couple of Sony https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STDH190/Sony-STR-DH190.html in different places in the house, that I use to stream music from my phone.

One in in a closet wired into some pre-existing ceiling speakers and a set of wired speakers out on the back deck.

I have another in the basement hooked up to a couple of Bose speakers (even though I also have ceiling speakers down there that are connected to the one upstairs - and I can stream from it, just a bit easier for the wife to operate, etc)

Last edited:

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Not a high end Macintosh type ... but have had Marantz receivers - more Pioneer & Sony in the past

Now doing more Sound Bar just to increase Volume of Laptops

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    It you have an old iPhone/android phone /tablet the good old 3.5 MM to TCA cable is all you need. Bluetooth and audiophile don't go hand in hand well.

Download your songs to the device and plug it into the stereo.
    Thanks, would not have thought of that. I have a decade old little 8" screen tablet I can download Spotify and music on. It has the 3.5mm I believe as the old headphones plug into it. I will have to get the 3.5 to RCA cable for my component input.

I have a newer tablet with Verizon internet so I believe I could use it, even streaming, with a USB C to HDMI?

You have a more capable receiver in your garage than I have in "home theater" receiver that I "inherited" with this house. Mine is this one https://www.denon.com/on/demandware...ds/archived/avr-2801-owners-manual-global.pdf

No HDMI, etc and I just have the TV going into it using optical and the Xbox going into the TV via HDMI.

I'd probably upgrade/replace it, but I just don't know that much about this AV stuff and it works for now. It's in some built in cabinets with the speakers, etc. I've done a little bit of rewiring on a couple of items with in when we first moved in, but haven't pulled it out to get a full view of all the speaker wiring, etc.

That said I also have a couple of Sony https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STDH190/Sony-STR-DH190.html in different places in the house, that I use to stream music from my phone.

One in in a closet wired into some pre-existing ceiling speakers and a set of wired speakers out on the back deck.

I have another in the basement hooked up to a couple of Bose speakers (even though I also have ceiling speakers down there that are connected to the one upstairs - and I can stream from it, just a bit easier for the wife to operate, etc)
    You have a lot of audiophile real estate to expand if you want then. I bought those Bose 201 Speakers in college and glad I kept them for the garage. I see you have them also, from a previous post. I didn't buy newer speakers till about 5 years ago and just upgraded the fronts and center with Axioms trade up program that gave me 90% of their value. I was surprised.

I recall getting those Crutchfield magazines and not looking at them over the years till recently when I was ready to upgrade :cool: The lead I got on the classical vinyl collection said "a music lover uses equipment to listed to their music and an audiophile uses music to listen to their equipment". As much as I enjoyed the upgrade project and placing speakers in my ceiling for the Atmos and multichannel stereo that will play through it, I think I am leaning heavily towards music lover.

I didn't realize till a month ago after getting the record player, how much I would enjoy the sound and the physical media. The Marantz was a lifetime purchase to me as I made the comment that the equipment is a diminishing return at certain costs. The collection owner said "NO true audiophile admits there is such a thing as diminsihing returns!":cool:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Just bought that sony for my outdoor speakers.

Was going to use my old hk avr325 but it looks like it gave up.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I purchased Denon 5.1 about what 20 years ago with a unforseen tax check. HDMI was not an option then. HD out coax RBG.
    Klispch speakers and a definitive technology sub. Still plays well today but since it has been on for 20 years the lights in the display are pretty dull and the remote does no longer work. I have old pioneer two ways in the front room for kind of a whole house audio with the B Speakers out.

The family are Apple users. so airplay 2 and the wiim pro is not wieless but a wired airplay 2 reciever the does lossless audio streams (normally not used by me) and gapless playback. Still works well in 5.1 (but the .1 cone was chewed by a rogue mouse). Apple TV remote controls volume on movie tv (bad remote on denon) I do miss the sub more on movies (sci-fi or action) than my music which gets more play. I just set the dennon mains to full range instead or high/medium range and one gets good bass. The sub my wife says can wait. I am running the WIIM right into the reciever using that DAC on the unit The treble and bass adjustments are good enough for the very hard rooms in which the TV is

i Have a peavey 150 which does 70 volt output and will be buying some outdoor speakers maybe JBL (just big and loud) or something like QVS. I could run almost 20 speakers at 15 watts Each. (Future add) I want to add at least 6 outdoor speakers but the wife said 2. The denon has a out to run the outdoor speakers off the peavey amp.

At mom and dads I have a wooden pioneer tape deck a couple other nice tape decks (remember mix tapes) , two or three old turntables, a real to real tape, a 8 track deck you can record to my carver tube pre amp and tube amp.
    the tube amps require at least a ten minute warm up period. If you change the volume they do have a slight scratch to the potentiumiters. about 2 yards worth of records including a few half speed masters and a few that have some collectors value. I think I have a comador pet PC and an IBM XT as new in box up it that attic also.
    Not nearly the hifi shops around like there used to be. Better test before you buy or know how to repair it.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My set up.

Receiver is Denon AVR 3805, Speakers (INGO find) are Martin Logan Motion 20, and the subs are Martin Logan Dynamo 700. I stream the music from my phone with a bluetooth receiver that sit's behind the TV. Probably missing some quality without a dedicated DAC, but sounds good to me. Optical cables come in from the TV, and Blue Ray player. I've tried several receivers here lately (used from facebook marketplace) and this one sounded the best. It has a real good "pure direct" stereo mode that bypasses all the 7.1 crap.

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    What about just regular audio equipment? You can't go wrong with an early 80's HK (Harmon Kardon) amp and tuner. You also can't go wrong with the other HK (Heckler Kock). Either way, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. :koolaid:
    I was lucky to buy many classical records and a Rotel RP-3000 vintage turntable from a forum user. Enjoying it very much. Do you have vintage equipment? Pics added.

Amplifiers were built differently back then and lacked the room correction and other things the current generation can do so they will certainly have their own sound. Personal preference will dictate what you like best. If you want to enjoy the array of audio channels now available for movies though you'd have to process the signal with a modern unit and send each channel to one of the older amplifiers. Certainly doable, but lots of wires and amplifiers. :)

I've had a few AVRs starting from the 2000's era. Each time I tried something new. The shift from DTS/DD to DTS-HD/DD TrueHD was a good upgrade and more recently the Dirac Live room correction made a significant difference even over Yamaha's room correction from 2015.
    Do you feel like the Dirac is worth it? I went from Audyssey 2 EQ on a 12 yr old Onyko to MultEQ XT32 on the new Marantz AVR, with option of upgrading to Audyssey's $199 MultEQ-X or the Dirac. Everything is sounding good so far so I haven't done anything.

Attachments

• PXL_20230603_200859431.jpg
      PXL_20230603_200859431.jpg
      353.4 KB · Views: 4
    • PXL_20230603_200911804.jpg
      PXL_20230603_200911804.jpg
      429.1 KB · Views: 4

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    After going through this thread, and enjoying my livingroom setup more... I decided to dump the Bose computer speakers in favor of a more traditional stereo. I hooked up my old 2215B to the computer with a mini plug/RCA cable to the "aux" input. I'm using a set of old Polk Audio P10s for now that are feeding through a Polk PSW10 subwoofer. The PSW10 has speaker level inputs, so not having a sub output doesn't hinder me. Planning on some enclosures for a set of in-wall speakers I got off ebay cheap that have better high end. Just mover the receiver over tonight. Sounds good, but not sure I like the monitor up high. I may build a shelf over it for the receiver and printer. Plenty more plywood in this redneck's garage.

IMG_3750.JPG

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    After going through this thread, and enjoying my livingroom setup more... I decided to dump the Bose computer speakers in favor of a more traditional stereo. I hooked up my old 2215B to the computer with a mini plug/RCA cable to the "aux" input. I'm using a set of old Polk Audio P10s for now that are feeding through a Polk PSW10 subwoofer. The PSW10 has speaker level inputs, so not having a sub output doesn't hinder me. Planning on some enclosures for a set of in-wall speakers I got off ebay cheap that have better high end. Just mover the receiver over tonight. Sounds good, but not sure I like the monitor up high. I may build a shelf over it for the receiver and printer. Plenty more plywood in this redneck's garage.

View attachment 280087
    The Marantz receiver is nice. This article states 1973.

I definitely have a curiosity about the vintage equipment after just starting to use this Rotel turntable from the '70s. I'm still trying to track down my receiver / record player from the late 70s at my parents home.

Here's one that just sold for $690.

That version Polk subwoofer is still being sold on crutchfield. I'd briefly looked at subwoofers to add a second one to the home theater.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I bought this jukebox from 1974, gutted it, cleaned it up, installed all new lights, all new speakers, this Pyle amp and she just rocks. I can run it from my phone or my computer. It looks great and sounds amazing in my office. Of course, my good speakers help too.

Tried to put a link to my amp, will not attach for some reason. Its a Pyle 6 channel 750W off Amazon. Just $125.00.

JB3.jpg

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Marantz receiver is nice. This article states 1973.

I definitely have a curiosity about the vintage equipment after just starting to use this Rotel turntable from the '70s. I'm still trying to track down my receiver / record player from the late 70s at my parents home.

Here's one that just sold for $690.

That version Polk subwoofer is still being sold on crutchfield. I'd briefly looked at subwoofers to add a second one to the home theater.
    Here's an Indiana source for properly refurbished vintage equipment:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I thought of this old thread tonight. I don't often get to enjoy my music because my stupid wife doesn't like music.
    Well... she doesn't like music at the same intensity level as I do anyhow.
    She's one of those "as long as I can hear the words" people.

So, as many of you know I lost Brandy, my service dog back in November. Still reeling from that one, but she was used to my jamming music having rode in my car with me for 10 years, and been to many a concert with me. Tonight was the first time I had a chance to play anything on the Martin Logans and kick back in the lazy boy since Brandy died. Mommyusmaximus was gone to a high school ball game. My new pup Sophie (Brandy's replacement) was really tripping on the thunder at the start of "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straights. She sat up and stared at the front of the room (where the sound was coming from) Then for some reason I remembered this thread.

God I love my wonderful sound system. I really need to use it more. I cranked it up for "Telegraph Road" That jam session in the last three and a half or so minutes is probably the best ending to any song ever recorded.

Sophie listening to music.JPG

MartinLogan Motion 20 ans Dynamo 700.JPG

Telegraph Road.png

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I built a budget surround system for my Panasonic Plasma TV years ago with a Yamaha system and some Polk Audio speakers. Works well enough for my old ears.

And :thumbsup: on Telegraph Road. I dig Knopfler big time. He had a show here in Indy a few years ago at what was the Murat Theater. It sold out in minutes and inquired about ticket brokers - tix were going for over $1200, way too rich for my blood. I was pissed.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I've been in the hobby with high end audio over 50 years. I put myself though college working at high end audio stores and bought and sold tons of audio equipment way back when. The classic stuff from Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Sansui, Harmon Kardon, Luxman, Advent, KLH, etc. remains some of the best sounding audio equipment ever made! I looked at all the contributions to this thread and must say: Bravo!
    Enjoy! :wavey:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a couple of "70s era set ups.

Pioneer SX1080 with Technics (1080 Edit) SB - G500 speakers. 120 high current amps with 18" woofers and 3 way 7speakers. Concert level sound if you need it...I don't know why I can't hear anymore.

The other a Pioneer 450 with Acoustic Research AR-7 bookshelf speakers that can fill the whole house with sound.

If they don't stop working I can't imagine why I would replace them...nothing new can compare. My SX1080 weighs over 50lbs...no solid state amp can match the driving power. I tried one tied to my smaller AR-7's and the whole system browned out any time a beat hit. They don't have the balls to drive big magnet speakers and the sound will never be the same.

Last edited:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I have a couple of "70s era set ups.

Pioneer SX1080 with Technics 1080 speakers. 120 high current amps with 18" woofers and 3 way 7speakers. Concert level sound if you need it...I don't know why I can't hear anymore.

The other a Pioneer 450 with Acoustic Research AR-7 bookshelf speakers that can fill the whole house with sound.

If they don't stop working I can't imagine why I would replace them...nothing new can compare. My SX1080 weighs over 50lbs...no solid state amp can match the driving power. I tried one tied to my smaller AR-7's and the whole system browned out any time a beat hit. They don't have the balls to drive big magnet speakers and the sound will never be the same.
    That's a very large woofer at 18". Was able to look up the receiver but couldn't find the speakers, so.......

:postpics:

Top Bottom