Any Audiophiles, Home Theater aficioinados?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    As a young buck stationed in West Germany I went with Pioneer. Had an entire rack of equipment, and 4 of the big HPM 1100 speakers. Yes, I won some of the barracks stereo wars. Yes, Top had it locked up in the arms room a time or two... lol.

View attachment 272619

All that's left 40+ years later is 2 of the speakers in the garage hooked up to a Denon AVR 1000 and a bluetooth receiver for jamming with the songs on my phone when working on my jeep.

In the house, I also have Denon receivers. 2 different ones. One, the AVR 3805, (that has a "pure direct stereo" setting) is hooked to a pair of Martin-Logan Motion 20 speakers, and a 12" Klipsch sub for streaming my music off my phone. (bluetooth)

The other receiver, a AVR X2200W, is for the TV. It runs Klipsch speakers, a second 12" sub and center channel. The surrounds are Polk, and Pioneer.

It's not really "audiophile", but it's probably above average. Anyway, I'm happy with it. Very happy with the music set-up. Just got the Martin-Logans not long ago (here off INGO) and there are very clear and accurate sounding. I heard an echo from the reverb on the drum kit on "Teanage Jail" by the Eagles after getting them that I never heard before... and I've been listening to that song for around 40 years... It just rolls off like a thunder clap does in the countryside... Gave me chills. "Dark Side of the Moon"... sweet Lord. Not as harsh on the high end as the HPMs are either. They almost don't need the sub... almost, but it does fill in that missing bottom end nicely. I have them in a big living room. Guy I got them from had them in a small "listening room".
    That's cool you have the photos and stil have 2 of the speakers. I will be seeing if old pictures and any of my old vinyl or receiver/phono player combo are still at my parents house. I just moved my 12 yr old 54" Panasonic Plasma tv to the garage for the mancave and it'd be nice to repurpose the 12 yr old 7.1 Onkyo for mancave duty. I still have some Bose 301s and cheap Sony 5.1 satellite speakers.

I almost bought a Denon since they're owned by the same company as Marantz. That 7.1 Denon 3805 you have listed for $1200 back in 2004.
    Wow you got a sweet deal on those Martin Logans floorstanding. Very nice!

The 2.1 you have is a good idea also for my second AVR. Got me to thinking about a setup on the enclosed porch. I'm starting to mess around with the pure direct settings on the Marantz and look forward to getting the phono player to test it out well. The multi channel stereo seems nice for Spotify.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    A bit. 7.4.4 atmos thx ultra II. The amp rack is as tall as me. Haha
    I have a friend who built a theater room, not quite that big, that our group of friends watched all sorts of tv series and sports. He's moving to Florida in a year or so for retirement so I'll pickup up a bit where he left off for entertainment. Had some friends out for the NFL draft and ended up watching the Pat McAfee livestream in the cigar friendly mancave. Watch UFC closely also.

Wow, nice room! Give us a little info on equipment :cool: I even know what seperates are:) The Marantz Cinema 50 I bought is 11.4 with an external 2 channel amp so I have two channels left for my 5.1.4, but it's a small room and may be piped into the enclosed porch. I do however plan to add a second sub in the back of the room.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I still have a disk based netflix subscription because the streaming services for the audio tracks. Haven't moved to an atmos setup yet because I would be in trouble making holes in the ceiling to do the install.
    They just mailed their last DVD either this or last week.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The multi channel stereo seems nice for Spotify.
    Spotify for hifi streaming audio.

A couple setting to get high resolution streams until Spotify is forced to go lossless.

Turn on gapless payback. So when listening to say a live album you don't get the track gap between songs.

Turn off audio normalization. Audio steams near lossless but this will make certain song louder or quieter while listening.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Spotify for hifi streaming audio.

A couple setting to get high resolution streams until Spotify is forced to go lossless.

Turn on gapless payback. So when listening to say a live album you don't get the track gap between songs.

Turn off audio normalization. Audio steams near lossless but this will make certain song louder or quieter while listening.
    Thanks. I had gapless playback on but did turn off audio normalization. My Marantz AVR has dynamic EQ which I think is like audio normalization. Should I turn it off also to help audio for things like streaming movies? It said it helped with lower volumes.

Even after the Audyssy room correction, this AVR allows adjustment of independant speakers from an app and I tend to increase the center speaker a bit. Think I can permanently adjust in with a manual correction. I found another setting on the App called dialog enhancer with low, medium and high settings that was useful in the older movie remake, 4k disc Apocolypse Final Cut.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I almost bought a Denon since they're owned by the same company as Marantz. That 7.1 Denon 3805 you have listed for $1200 back in 2004.

Glad I got it, and nobody beat me to it. Found it on facebook marketplace for $150 last year. I went on a stereo buying spree, picked up a pioneer receiver, and two Denons, plus I already had the AVR1000. I sometimes DJ at the VFW in Rensselaer where I'm Commander, and I wanted a wall of sound. All the newer receivers only have one output for main speakers. The rest are for surround sound, but I just want a powerful L + R stereo with good quality sound that doesn't sound like a typical DJ set-up. I like the "home stereo" sound better.

Worked out good for me because now I have a receiver and speakers just for music... and another set up just for movies... plus one in the garage... and a spare receiver I'm planning on using to convert an old stereo console into bluetooth with.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Something I always wanted back in the day was time delay. It involved another amp and another set of speakers, a no-go on my income back then. You could adjust the apparent size of your space from dorm room to cathedral.

As it was, my setup was rather expensive for the time, and I did a lot of research to get the absolute best equipment I could afford. Back when research meant reading many magazines and catalogues.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I have a 1995 dennon AV 5.1 attached to kLIPSCH speakers and a diffenative technologies sub. Was great till a mouse crawled into the sub and ate the cone for bedding. (Little bastard). Now instead of the sub handling the bass I have to route it to the kLIPSCH maybe I can get the speaker cone cause the wife (non audiophile) does not think it sounds 500 dollars worse than it currently sounds. To me it lacks now during movies. To me it lacks in music also. Not enough to use my veto power and order a sub.

I run old pioneer two ways offf the b channel and even with those old pioneer's the front room sounds great. These were not expensive speakers but whoever designed them did a lot of good for the money.

I have a couple old tube amps/pre amps My wife wants me To part with. She wanted them gone more when she saw what the sell for used. Carver tube amps And pre amps are definitely nice sounding audiophile equipment. A little scratching while adjusting the volume but I think I can fix that with a can of spray.

Now streaming digital audio.

WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver, Chromecast Audio, WiFi Multiroom Streamer, Compatible with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant, Stream Hi-Res Audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal and More https://a.co/d/3GPQEBk

For the money I would look into this. Airplay 2 for us Apple users. Will run lossless audio well. No wifi worries when you have a Ethernet port on the device.

Thinking about adding this in but have not pulled the trigger
    AIYIMA T8 6N3 Digital Tube Preamplifier Bluetooth 5.0 Hi-Fi Headphone Vacuum Tube Preamp for Home Wireless Receiver Audio Decoder Preamp PC-USB DAC APTX + with Remote Control https://a.co/d/8XIiUqj

Nice Dac for the money
    I've looked at these media players but there's so many. I have Android phone. My audiophile friend is looking at that Nvidia Shield. Don't think I can use the Wiim without Apple? I only have a few streaming apps. I don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars to enhance the digital media but the choices are many and confusing. Nvidia, Aiyima, etc, what do you think? I was only able to get internet here around 3 years ago, so a bit behind.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Something I always wanted back in the day was time delay. It involved another amp and another set of speakers, a no-go on my income back then. You could adjust the apparent size of your space from dorm room to cathedral.

As it was, my setup was rather expensive for the time, and I did a lot of research to get the absolute best equipment I could afford. Back when research meant reading many magazines and catalogues.
    If you look at the photo of my old Pioneer system I posted... the third piece down... that's a time delay. I didn't use it that often though, and when I did, I didn't put much echo into it as I preferred a more pure sound most of the time, but it was fun to play with sometimes. Especially when drunk... lol.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL

Well if you ever get this new stuff, maybe retirement gift, it updates software by wi-fi and this AVR app is quite user friendly. It has delay on it but I haven't messed wit it yet. I'm quite surprised going from a 12 yr old receiver to a new one, and just getting internet 3 years ago to utilize the programming and equipment capabilites. The AVR manual is only online! Here is just one app screenshot:
    Screenshot_20230428_205136_Marantz AVR Remote.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Picked up a marantz receiver at the goodwill outlet for 7 bucks.

Paired with bridged klipsch towers, klipsch surround, polk center and sub.

I'm not allowed to turn it up that loud anymore.

Garage has a basic sony with a pair of cerwin vega 10s. I try to not turn it up that loud for the neighbors.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I guess this system is NOT audiophile worthy, but for an easy to setup, "affordable" Dolby Atmos capable home theatre system, I think it sounds great. It has one feature that may be of interest in this discussion. The two satellite speakers and the bass are wireless*.

It is the JBL Bar 9.1 We have it in our small TV room and it is immersive, with plenty of power.

1682783591046.png

*The bass must be connected to ac power. The satellites are battery powered and truly wireless. They can be powered by with micro USB cables.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I guess this system is NOT audiophile worthy, but for an easy to setup, "affordable" Dolby Atmos capable home theatre system, I think it sounds great. It has one feature that may be of interest in this discussion. The two satellite speakers and the bass are wireless*.

It is the JBL Bar 9.1 We have it in our small TV room and it is immersive, with plenty of power.

View attachment 272699

*The bass must be connected to ac power. The satellites are battery powered and truly wireless. They can be powered by with micro USB cables.
    I ran a Sony system similar to this, not as nice, up to about 5 years ago when the youngest child finally left home (came back after a divorce!). You can see the Sony subwoofer in bottom left of post #5 that I used due to my Axiom subwoofer being replaced by warranty. I stepped it up to the 5.1 Axiom speakers when the home was clear of children and upgraded the F/R/C channels and AVR just recently. I looked into wireless this time but still patching holes in the top of the walls from running speaker wire :cool:
    PXL_20230428_151045035.jpg

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have a friend who built a theater room, not quite that big, that our group of friends watched all sorts of tv series and sports. He's moving to Florida in a year or so for retirement so I'll pickup up a bit where he left off for entertainment. Had some friends out for the NFL draft and ended up watching the Pat McAfee livestream in the cigar friendly mancave. Watch UFC closely also.

Wow, nice room! Give us a little info on equipment :cool: I even know what seperates are:) The Marantz Cinema 50 I bought is 11.4 with an external 2 channel amp so I have two channels left for my 5.1.4, but it's a small room and may be piped into the enclosed porch. I do however plan to add a second sub in the back of the room.
    Separates of course. :)
    Front: Klipsch THX Ultra II KL650 LCR
    Surrounds: Thx Ultra II 8000s in wall
    Atmos and rears: Klipsch reference flagship stuff, I don’t care as much about those
    Subs: 4x KW-120
    Marantz AV7704 receiver
    Marantz mm7055 & mm8077 amps
    2x KA-1000THX sub amps
    Behringer NX4-6000 for 4 butt kicker advance

The room is narrow for the theater size, so I removed drywall, made 3/4” nominal acoustically transparent panels, and did sound treatment inside walls behind the Guilford of Maine at reflection points.

False wall with bass traps, AT 150” screen.

It sounds alright.

Attachments

• E799A4BB-AAD4-492D-82FF-AE1DAEF04616.jpeg
      E799A4BB-AAD4-492D-82FF-AE1DAEF04616.jpeg
      263.3 KB · Views: 10

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    That sounds quite expensive to not use and enjoy. I've read on AVS forums if the AVR doesn't provide enough power/watts per channel to the speakers, or the speakers are mismatched, the higher volumes are not clean and enjoyable. Hopefully that's not the case but if so a proper amp for a receiver with pre-amp outputs may completely change the home theater. Also if it's not a receiver that has audio correction software using a small external microphone, it could not sound as well also.

You're operating at a level I'm not at with the the mixing board. I've been watching this guys YT channel and he has a test room and does a lot of technical audio testing that I've learned from.
    I appreciate the comments, though I'm only a beginner when it comes to the audio world. My stepdad was a musician who did his own recording and mastering, so I'm mainly learning everything from him.

The Infinity speakers are self powered, but receive a signal from the receiver. Don't know about the Polk speakers, though. I don't think they even make Infinity's anymore. The setup sounds much better than the concert level PA system in their basement, though.

As for the mixing board, we use that for recording, mixing, engineering, and mastering. Not so much for use in the home theater system, however you can still use one. Especially if you have multiple inputs (DVD/Blu-Ray, game console, PC, etc.), it gives you instant and independent gain, volume, and EQ control for each channel. Don't know about exporting in 5.1 or 7.1 formats yet. Perhaps that's where the Optical fiber optic output comes in.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Finally set up the 12 yr old Onkyo in the garage playing CDs on a PS3 with the 80s Bose 201 (I think) speakers from the mid 80s. Sony sub from a old cheap surround system. Sounds surprising good.

Someone mentioned playing Spotify through their receivers, but I don't think this Onkyo is Wifi. Is there another way?

Attachments

• PXL_20230524_235847136~2.jpg
      PXL_20230524_235847136~2.jpg
      620.6 KB · Views: 6

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Finally set up the 12 yr old Onkyo in the garage playing CDs on a PS3 with the 80s Bose 201 (I think) speakers from the mid 80s. Sony sub from a old cheap surround system. Sounds surprising good.

Someone mentioned playing Spotify through their receivers, but I don't think this Onkyo is Wifi. Is there another way?
    I'm assuming it also doesn't have Bluetooth given the age.

Probably other ways as well, but this is a wifi music player. Controlled by an app on your phone, but the music doesn't stream through your phone :

Or a different route which is a Bluetooth adapter and you stream from your phone :

Last edited:

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I'm assuming it also doesn't have Bluetooth given the age.

Probably other ways as well, but this is a wifi music player. Controlled by an app on your phone, but the music doesn't stream through your phone :

Or a different route which is a Bluetooth adapter and you stream from your phone :

Thanks. I misspoke, I don't have Wi-Fi in the garage but the bluetooth adapter looks like what I need. I need to talk to Crutchfield anyway as I'm thinking about switching out the new AVR to a slimline.

Top Bottom