• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I have a good friend that was diagnosed with krohn's disease. Sounds very similar to some of your symptoms. He was having a difficult problem with any food. Nerves will wreak havoc on one's digestion system...hope you folks find something that helps.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Guys you are worrying me!!
    A complete blood work-up is useful for self-diagnosis.
    If it is autoimmune (celiac) in nature you can have your immunoglobulins checked.
    If your intestines are compromised you cannot absorb nutrients so a blood work-up can also tell you deficiencies.
    Any of you out there with IBS having gum problems or regular headaches??

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I have had upper gi's, lower gi's, two colonoscopies, an endoscopy and lots of blood work looking for the cause of my gastrointestinal distress. I just turned 26, had it since I was 12 or so. My trigger foods have morphed over the years. Generally, red meat, dairy, lettuce, excess sugar, carbonation, caffeine, stress. Sometime there is no explainable cause to attacks. Immodium AD always at my side along with benzos for stress. I have eaten the same thing for lunch (peanut butter sandwich, rice cakes, and rice crispy treats) for probably five years at work. Everyone kids me about my diet but it works for me. I strayed from my diet two weeks ago at work and had to leave early. My routine is paramount to defeating my symptoms along with Immodium for backup. Good luck, mine comes in waves, sometimes I go months with zero symptoms.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was on IV feedings, aka hyperalimentation, via PICC line. I gained weight (15 pounds or more) only to lose it once I got off. So, in MY mind, it WAS or IS a nutritional absorption issue. But Hyperal required a nurse visit up to 3 times a week, and daily TWELVE HOUR Intravenous feedings. So, $180/week out of pocket was a bit more than I could take. Plus risk of infection, and bloodclots. I had to prep the food (IV bags) and inject saline and blood thinner every day. Blood thinner also has other side effects that I was experiencing. So, the cost and side effects and possible serious other issues made me go off of it. I felt great while on it, though.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Those of you that are suffering with IBS. I recommend checking immunoglobulin counts and types instead of celiac blood teat. The reason being is you can still be reacting to gluten (wheat) or similar proteins but test negative with celiac test. If your immunoglobulins are whacked, knowing which ones and the ratios may help direct you to the source of your distress. Meaning if you are having an autoimmune reaction or an allergic reaction from anything you are eating. I had similar problems and suffered more than 15 yrs. Doctors were worthless and bills ridiculous. I almost died before correctly diagnosing self 3 yrs ago.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've never been thin but compared to my obese family, I am. I found out I had low thyroid and went on med for that. I went off of it for awhile and started gaining weight and feeling worse. I went back on it and it's helped but I'm not getting the weight back off. I had a good diet and exercise program going but quit. I need to start again.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I think I have it. Ive had some real photo finishes. The problem I have is that I dont work where I can just go to the can. I have to make it to somewhere. The worst is when Im in a hurry and go to where I know there is clean restroom and there is somebody in there.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    There are a surprising number of individuals that have had colectomy operations due to IBS.
    A friend of mine went through this experience and forwarded the following links.
    These were helpful for me to understand what the heck it was all about. I am listing three sites, all about someone named Mark, and his surgery journey, which includes photo's. It's probably a more complete and human description than
    anything I read in any of the medical resources. caution: can be a bit graphic.

http://www.jpouch.net/photos/surgery-1/
    http://www.jpouch.net/photos/surgery-2-inbetween-surgeries/
    http://www.jpouch.net/photos/surgery-3-jpouch-or-takedown-surgery/

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think I have it. Ive had some real photo finishes. The problem I have is that I dont work where I can just go to the can. I have to make it to somewhere. The worst is when Im in a hurry and go to where I know there is clean restroom and there is somebody in there.

Couldn't help but laugh about your comment about "real photo finishes." Dang, I'm still laughing.

I'm lucky enough to work in an office environment where the "can" is accessible. I have to get on airplanes from time to time and that can be nerve-wracking.

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Thanks for every one's input. I don't drink sodas ..

Jon, My wife had a terrible initial flare up back in Feb. Was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Was until late May before she regained anything close to "normal". She was on Asachol, Prednisone, and finally 6-MP. We're now working on tapering off the prednisone. Probably will be on some kind of meds for several years if not the rest of her life.

Nasty disease. If you've not found a good gastroenterologist, find one, get a colonoscopy, and get started on some meds that will help.

Good luck!
    AB

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    READ THIS

OK, I am not a doctor or any kind of expert and I do not have IBS, but I have a very good friend that does and I wanted to help so I started looking into it and this is what I have found.

The docs will do test after test on you and if they cannot pin it down to krohn's disease or ciliac disease or something else, they call it IBS. There are two kinds of IBS, the constipation kind and the diahrea kind. I will address the diahrea kind. The only medication on the market right now addresses the constipation kind.

I also read, and connot find again, a doctor that treated this kind of IBS and had a 50% success rate. He claimed that it was caused by an exotic bacteria in the gut, probably from Africa. He treated for the bacteria and had success.

I found a book called "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Vicious-Cycle-Intestinal-Through/dp/0969276818"]Amazon.com: Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet: Elaine Gloria Gottschall: Books[/ame], and read it. It makes major sense. In short, the bacteria in the gut that causes this feeds on complex carbohydrates (Mt. Dew Sugar, or any complex carbs). The author became a doctor to study this to help her son that had krohn's disease and corrected it for him. The fix is to go on a Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) which eliminates all complex carbs. There is a website with info in SCD, [ame="http://www.scdiet.org/"]http://www.scdiet.org[/ame] . A tough diet that my friend was unwilling to follow through on.

The bacteria feed on the complex carbs and emit waste that damages the intestinal walls, destroying the villa that digest for you. The damaged areas appear flattened out. The damaged intestine produce mucus in response, which produces the diahrea.

What brought his home to me as the only valid path was when my friend had to give up bagels (one of the highest complex carb foods) because they would give her a massive headache. One of the byproducts of the bacteria are toxins, which get into the system and produce these headaches. As a result, she needs to avoid all grains, per the book. She is not willing to avoid all grains but will avoid wheat and wheat gluten, which seem to be the worse. As she has gotten older, it has gotten worse, but avoiding the worse of the worse foods had helped. One of the things I learned from it is that dairy products will make it worse and that only home made yogurt can be used. Store yogurts have trace amounts of complex carbs in them. The only sweeteners you can use are honey and one of the fake ones, I can't remember which one. Honey is a simple carb and gets absorbed before it gets to the part of the intestine that the bacteria reside in.

There are no drugs that will fix this. I would suggest that anyone with this should get the book and read it. It comes with suggested diets and good and bad food lists. There is a supplementary book that lists more foods.

If you could avoid the symptoms by changing your diet radically, would you do it?

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a byproduct of all the man made crap that is now in our food. I don't trust crap like Splenda either. I believe what God made is perfect and we can't replace it. It never fails that every time man makes something, years later we find out that it destroys your organs like the lasted diet drug story.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a byproduct of all the man made crap that is now in our food. I don't trust crap like Splenda either. I believe what God made is perfect and we can't replace it. It never fails that every time man makes something, years later we find out that it destroys your organs like the lasted diet drug story.

If what I learned is true, then Splenda in a box would be bad because the way they make it measure by measure equal to sugar is by adding carbohydrates. Sorry but Splenda came after IBS; although, I do agree and feel if you stick to fresh foods and avoid all of the processed foods you will be much better off.

My friend that has this problem ate major amounts of complex carbs as a kid, shakes, candy, etc., all processed foods and very very high in complex carbs.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I didn't mean to put the blame on splenda alone. I just used it as an example of all the crap that is in our food now. Everything is processed and so full of preservatives that it can't be good for us.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    Something else you might check out is Eating right for your blood type do a search if needed

I went through this a few years ago several tests later no clue I had a high white blood count and a high red blood count and was producing to much blood. they would drain blood off every visit and the best i ever felt

I was having a CBC and a Chem 23 done evey two weeks for almost two years along with monthy visits to a cancer Dr. still nothing and I finally gave up

I had IBS so bad I could not go anywhere without my stash of TP just incase i had to stop along the road or ???????

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    so whats the deal do a lot of people have abs, out there I haven't heard much about it. I have a friend that has it but he dosn't talk much about it. just that he cant eat spicy food

Top Bottom