• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Sometimes my mind flashes back to the old TV series "Untouchables" and i load up my M10, 4in Tapered barrel, wooden grips. Throw on the shoulder holster, spare ammo in leather loops on belt, and a longer windbreaker or flannel shirt as a cover. I know they used Colts on the show, but still like my M10 Military/Police S&W.
    I bought a Taurus 605-357 Mag. Stainless, and it isnt too bad with 38 Spec+P. Havent shot 357 Mags though. It is heavier than my Airweight 442. Like those J frames!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought my mother a Taurus Model 85 years ago had the rosewood grips and gold accents. Beautiful revolver. She picked it out and she loves it.

Advance 22 years. Dad stopped carrying his 1911 45. Couldn't rack the slide anymore. So he starts carrying moms revolver. So I decided to give him my Ruger LCRx in 38 special. So now both are armed with 38 snubnose revolvers.
    I had him fire it double action he was very happy with the smooth pull of the trigger.
    Seeing him with a big smile was worth it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought my mother a Taurus Model 85 years ago had the rosewood grips and gold accents. Beautiful revolver. She picked it out and she loves it.

Advance 22 years. Dad stopped carrying his 1911 45. Couldn't rack the slide anymore. So he starts carrying moms revolver. So I decided to give him my Ruger LCRx in 38 special. So now both are armed with 38 snubnose revolvers.
    I had him fire it double action he was very happy with the smooth pull of the trigger.
    Seeing him with a big smile was worth it.

I have had all the snub-nose .38 sp. & many of the .357 magnums.
    I couldn't believe it when I bought a Ruger LCR .357 magnum: the trigger pull was so smooth & recoil fine (as advertised, but who believes such claims?).
    Since I didn't run .357 through it anyway, I decided to save 4.5 oz and get the lighter LCR .38 sp., not experienced enough to realize I was taking a chance on the "same trigger" not being the same. :ugh:
    Since the trigger was not as good as the one on the .357 & I was really disappointed with the luck of the draw. :dunno:

It is all forgotten though since I love the Kimber 6s with its same size as the Ruger LCR but has 6 rd capacity & the trigger is delightful.
    The Kimber is a heavier, though: that was the trade off.
    23 oz = Kimber
    13.5 oz = Ruger LCR .38
    17.1 oz = Ruger LCR .357

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Advance 22 years. Dad stopped carrying his 1911 45. Couldn't rack the slide anymore. So he starts carrying moms revolver. So I decided to give him my Ruger LCRx in 38 special. So now both are armed with 38 snubnose revolvers. I had him fire it double action he was very happy with the smooth pull of the trigger. Seeing him with a big smile was worth it.

We purchased our mother a Ruger LCR in .22 WMR when she decided that she wanted a gun for her daily walks out in the county!
    She'd never been a shooter and handling a slide + a safety + handling even a moderate recoil was not in her favor at 78 years of age...
    I recommended the LCR in .22 WMR, with no safety + pull-point-n-shoot capability + light recoil...seemed sufficient for the time.

I have had all the snub-nose .38 sp. & many of the .357 magnums.
    I couldn't believe it when I bought a Ruger LCR .357 magnum: the trigger pull was so smooth & recoil fine (as advertised, but who believes such claims?).
    Since I didn't run .357 through it anyway, I decided to save 4.5 oz and get the lighter LCR .38 sp., not experienced enough to realize I was taking a chance on the "same trigger" not being the same. :ugh:
    Since the trigger was not as good as the one on the .357 & I was really disappointed with the luck of the draw. :dunno:

It is all forgotten though since I love the Kimber 6s with its same size as the Ruger LCR but has 6 rd capacity & the trigger is delightful.
    The Kimber is a heavier, though: that was the trade off.
    23 oz = Kimber
    13.5 oz = Ruger LCR .38
    17.1 oz = Ruger LCR .357

I've had a Ruger LCR in .38 special...liked the way it felt but didn't necessarily like the way the trigger felt nor the 'modest' recoil of even a .38 Special +P in such a light revolver.
    I ended up selling the LCR and keeping the 2.25" SP101 in .357 magnum because I could shoot either caliber through it and it helped mitigate .38's down to 'mild'!
    I've considered getting an LCR in .357 magnum with the heavier frame, to help mitigate the felt recoil...just have never pulled the trigger and purchased one...but it's on the list!
    I've also considered getting an LCR in .327 magnum...which still maintains adequate penetration capability but bumps it up 1 round to a total of six...in a pocket carry revolver!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Interestingly, I spotted a used but very clean S&W 360 in .38 special yesterday...still thinking about it!
    One reason I'm interested is the front sight is pinned on vs machined on, as the 637, 638, and 642's are...and I prefer a tritium front sight on my pistols.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interestingly, I spotted a used but very clean S&W 360 in .38 special yesterday...still thinking about it!
    One reason I'm interested is the front sight is pinned on vs machined on, as the 637, 638, and 642's are...and I prefer a tritium front sight on my pistols.

Those are nice! Buy it.:)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

I ended up picking up the S&W 360J Airweight .38 yesterday...and it shot fantastic at the range, putting 25 rounds of some Blazer FMJ's through it along with a box of Federal HST .38 +P's that I had along with...all shot to P-O-A at 15' and the recoil, with the factory Uncle Mike's rubber grip, felt fairly mild / manageable!
    Now...to find a tritium front sight and a comfortable wood grip!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ended up picking up the S&W 360J Airweight .38 yesterday...and it shot fantastic at the range, putting 25 rounds of some Blazer FMJ's through it along with a box of Federal HST .38 +P's that I had along with...all shot to P-O-A at 15' and the recoil, with the factory Uncle Mike's rubber grip, felt fairly mild / manageable!

Congrats! Post up what grips you end up with. I'm looking for grips for my 442. Currently looking at Hogues, but wood sounds like it might be an idea.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I just read a story on the "360J" models. Interesting background. Sounds like it's a good J frame to have.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I have always enjoyed shooting revolvers for fun or hunting but always carried a semi. Was considering a 38 snub for pocket carry for a while. Went to a local gun shop just to look and ended up walking out with a used(like new) LCR for under $300. So far I am really enjoying how light it is, and recoil is really not that bad.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A couple of years ago I won a Colt Cobra at my local FNRA banquet.
    I gave $20 for a raffle ticket and, well, BINGO!

It is still unfired and sitting inthe safe.
    I've been carrying a snubby in .44spl for some time so I didn't really want to "downsize".

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have always enjoyed shooting revolvers for fun or hunting but always carried a semi. Was considering a 38 snub for pocket carry for a while. Went to a local gun shop just to look and ended up walking out with a used (like new) LCR for under $300. So far I am really enjoying how light it is, and recoil is really not that bad.

I have had all the small .38 specials and many of the .357 magnums.
    I had a chance to pick up a LCR Ruger .357 at a shop in Westfield, and was amazed that what Ruger claimed for the trigger pull & recoil was true: superior to all the other small J frames.
    I then got the Ruger LCR 38 b/c it was a few ounces lighter, but was disappointed that it wasn't a sweet a trigger as the Ruger LCR .357: the luck of the draw since they should be the same trigger.
    I too, was amazed with the light recoil (comparatively) with its light weight!
    Enjoy!

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congrats! Post up what grips you end up with. I'm looking for grips for my 442. Currently looking at Hogues, but wood sounds like it might be an idea.

I was looking at some wood Altamonts (very nice-looking, BTW) but ended up seeing a Hogue rubber J-Frame two-finger 'boot' grip at a LGS for $22 and snagged it up...so far, it's been comfortable.
    Typically, I prefer a full-sized (three-finger) grip, but am actually comfortable with the Hogue...willl probably have a wood grip at some point, but for now, the Hogue will do!

I just read a story on the "360J" models. Interesting background. Sounds like it's a good J frame to have.

Any chance you could find and post the article! I've had two (2) people, in just the past week, tell me that, in their opinion, the 360J was the best of the 5-shot, .38 Special, revolvers from Smith & Wesson!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Amishman, I have that boot grip. As you said, it's a bit of a change from the typical grip, but it has its advantages. What I like best about it is that the rubber is smooth instead of tacky like most of the rubber grips that tend to get caught on your shirt if you carry owb.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was looking at some wood Altamonts (very nice-looking, BTW) but ended up seeing a Hogue rubber J-Frame two-finger 'boot' grip at a LGS for $22 and snagged it up...so far, it's been comfortable.
    Typically, I prefer a full-sized (three-finger) grip, but am actually comfortable with the Hogue...willl probably have a wood grip at some point, but for now, the Hogue will do!

Any chance you could find and post the article! I've had two (2) people, in just the past week, tell me that, in their opinion, the 360J was the best of the 5-shot, .38 Special, revolvers from Smith & Wesson!

Here is the link: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-smith-wesson-360j-japanese-service-revolver/

Which Hogue part number is that? I'm a little confused by which one I should be buying for my 442. They have a 60000 and a 60100 that appear to be larger and a 61000 Bantam grip.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Here is the link: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-smith-wesson-360j-japanese-service-revolver/

Which Hogue part number is that? I'm a little confused by which one I should be buying for my 442. They have a 60000 and a 60100 that appear to be larger and a 61000 Bantam grip.

The one I ended up with is the Bantam style #61000...and as Snapdragon said, it's slightly smoother than many others, is nicely gripable, and yet doesn't snag on clothing...I'm surprisingly happy with it!

Top Bottom