• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm really impressed with the "old school" LSWHP.
    Push them hot (for a 38) and the results are impressive!
    I originally loaded them for the lil' lady, was so impressed with the accuracy, the reduced recoil (compared to 357) and the penetration and expansion, carry them myself now.

I find it interesting how people sometimes cook something up for someone else, and then end up liking it so much they do it for themselves.
    I've done that a few times and went, 'Wow, that's awesome!' And, then, 'hmmmmmmmm......'

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I stumbled across this round Federal Premium HST Micro .38 Special +P Ammo. Looks like a jacketed wadcutter hp. I wonder how they preform from a snubnose 38.

I was really interested in these and hoped they would be a nice low recoil alternative. They are low recoil, but performance is marginal to poor. Soft tissue strikes you'll be ok-ish with good expansion but less penetration then I would like to see. That's kind of par for the course on most expanding .38's, though. Anything that expands much tends to not get to the 12" mark. This particularly load can be good for 8-9", which isn't terrible but isn't ideal. Where it falls apart, literally, is on bone strikes. Auto glass test, which is a good predictor of performance against bone, showed core/jacket seperation and core fragmentation. I don't know if it's the shape or the hardness of the lead, but it doesn't hold together once the jacket is separated. Penetration was minimal, easily less than 4". That means a forearm strike isn't going to continue on into the body and should you need to shoot into or out of a car you'll be wasting at least your first shot.

I wanted them to work, but the performance against intermediate barriers is so poor I wouldn't use them.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I was really interested in these and hoped they would be a nice low recoil alternative. They are low recoil, but performance is marginal to poor. Soft tissue strikes you'll be ok-ish with good expansion but less penetration then I would like to see. That's kind of par for the course on most expanding .38's, though. Anything that expands much tends to not get to the 12" mark. This particularly load can be good for 8-9", which isn't terrible but isn't ideal. Where it falls apart, literally, is on bone strikes. Auto glass test, which is a good predictor of performance against bone, showed core/jacket seperation and core fragmentation. I don't know if it's the shape or the hardness of the lead, but it doesn't hold together once the jacket is separated. Penetration was minimal, easily less than 4". That means a forearm strike isn't going to continue on into the body and should you need to shoot into or out of a car you'll be wasting at least your first shot.

I wanted them to work, but the performance against intermediate barriers is so poor I wouldn't use them.

This is disappointing to hear , do you have an opinion on the Speer Gold Dot 357 short barrel?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This is disappointing to hear , do you have an opinion on the Speer Gold Dot 357 short barrel?

Yeah, I know I'm repeating myself but I really wanted those to be a viable option. I was also disappointed with the results.

Gold Dot is a solid option. It's bonded, so it retains it's weight and doesn't shatter on a bone strike/intermediate barrier. Expansion is reliable. Penetration is typically a bit shy of actually passing the FBI protocols from a 2" barrel but is close. I would carry it without issue as long as it shot point of aim from my given revolver.

The Winchester Ranger Bonded or PDX-1 Defender Bonded 130gr +P has very similar characteristics and performance for a .38 Special offering. IIRC, the Gold Dot penetrates a touch more, but all are adequate if not quite 12" (something like 9-12" in heavy clothing). It's tough to get an expanding bullet to pass the entire FBI protocol from a 2" barrel and have tolerable recoil.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I bought three revolvers at at gun auction today. It doubled the number of revolvers that I own. I will not be carrying them. Just wanted to post here as a sort of public confession.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought three revolvers at at gun auction today. It doubled the number of revolvers that I own. I will not be carrying them. Just wanted to post here as a sort of public confession.

A full confession would include the name & model of the revolvers.
    It is good for the soul to come completely clean. :)
    Don't hold back, now!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It is good for the soul to come completely clean. :)
    Don't hold back, now!

Rock Island .38 special with a 4 inch barrel. six shot.
    Smith and Wesson 28-2 in .357 with a 4 inch barrel. Also six shot.
    Smith and Wesson 686 in .357 with 6 inch barrel. Also six shot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

It's been decades since I went to a gun auction in Indy.
    That's a good solid assortment that you got today!

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    As of late, I have been carrying a couple of semi-autos. But I started with a Taurus Titanium in 38spcl. with 125 gr Starfires. Carried in a jacket pocket when on the motorcycle, and inside the waist band when the jackt was not being worn. I never felt, as some say, "under gunned". I now carry a S&W .380 Body Guard or a Khar CW9.

dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    Taurus 856 is my desk gun at work in case I leave home without my EDC which happens far less than I leave without my cell phone or wallet. Federal HST. I really like the ease of carry, comfort, weight etc, but 6 rounds of 38 special sure makes me feel out armed.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

It is good for the soul to come completely clean. :) Don't hold back, now!

Ha Ha...nice 'confession' and great pick-ups!
    I'm a Ruger guy myself but there's been a few times that I've looked awful hard at the 686...especially the 3" short-barreled version!

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Smith 642-1 +p with Nyclad standard pressure 125gr HP.

Only other gun I occasionally carry is the Ruger LCP 380. Just never worried about capacity.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I almost put some +P in a Smith today to carry something small, but ended up taking a small Baretta already loaded in the safe door.

Just saw the above post.

+P:rockwoot:

Heavy barrel recommended.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yes, the smaller the wheelgun, the heavier you want it to be. I saw a Facebook post where a man (who may or may not be an INGO member) had given his wife an airweight as her first revolver. I have owned and shot my fair share of wheelguns, and I no longer own any airweights. They are more difficult to shoot accurately, especially for a beginner.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yes, the smaller the wheel gun, the heavier you want it to be. I saw a Facebook post where a man (who may or may not be an INGO member) had given his wife an air-weight as her first revolver. I have owned and shot my fair share of wheel guns, and I no longer own any air-weights. They are more difficult to shoot accurately, especially for a beginner.

I once owned a S&W 637 from the Performance Shop and, while it was a beautiful revolver, it was not comfortable to shoot as compared to my 30 year old, nickel, Taurus 95! Needless to say, I kept the Taurus!
    That's also one of the positives regarding the Ruger SP101, even in .38 Special...the weight of the revolver diminishes the felt recoil, making it easier to shoot repetitively!

Top Bottom