• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    CP, if you haven't make sure you checkout the Mixmag's YouTube feeds. A lot of good and varied DJ sets around one hour long.

[video=youtube;AN1Bgh_qwfA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1Bgh_qwfA[/video]

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm a big fan of EDM, couldn't make half the cool stuff of modern tech without it.

[video=youtube_share;rpHYBz7ToII]https://youtu.be/rpHYBz7ToII[/video]

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Ah, this is about music?

That's not what I thought EDM stood for.:dunno:

I'm a big fan of Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)...

That's what I thought EDM stood for.:yesway:

And for the record, I'm not a fan. It moves metal at glacial speeds. And cutting the electrodes is a PITA. But, it will do things that are otherwise impossible.

I'm a big fan of EDM, couldn't make half the cool stuff of modern tech without it.

[video=youtube_share;rpHYBz7ToII]https://youtu.be/rpHYBz7ToII[/video]

We have a crazy, CNC small hole EDM here at work. I don't hate it as much as the "sinker" machines. At least it's fast.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Isn't that what you get when you trigger a nuke high up in the atmosphere?

That's EMP.
    Electro Magnetic Pulse is the 'Boogy Man' for conspiracy theory types since they don't understand the electro-magnetic link or electro-magnetic induction.
    Get a metal box, cover it with sheet magnets (fridge magnets) and you will be fine.

That's a dead true statement!
    A good half the cool stuff we have now wouldn't be possible without EDM.
    EDM can do what regular machining & lasers can't do.

You couldn't have ceramic/metal machining or even modern jet engine turbine blades without EDM.
    EDM is used to both shape & drill cooling holes in those blades, along with fitting tolerances to the shaft 5 places behind the decimal point...

And for the record, I'm not a fan. It moves metal at glacial speeds. And cutting the electrodes is a PITA. But, it will do things that are otherwise impossible.

Impossible is correct!
    'Slow' is relative.

You can't do it period with conventional machining, or would have to drill a round hole, then do another set up or a dozen set ups for broaching or other conventional machining processes, the EDM doing it in one pass is actually a time saver.

Try cutting a curved slot or star shape in carbide on conventional machines then get back to me on time savings...
    :rolleyes:
    (We all love those dozen set up cuts on different machines!:xmad:)

I chuck up ONCE, use a curved slot or star shaped electrode, and it's a one pass process WITHOUT CNC controllers!
    Zero programming time, zero cost for CNC equipment, just jig/chuck up and go.

Try cutting a spiral hole, like cooling holes in a drill bit, with any other means...
    Try cutting anything but round holes in a single step by any other means...
    Try cutting a slot (or any other shape) in a diamond or carbide by any other means...

I made my first EDM machine around 1975 or 1976, a 50 amp battery booster, a vibrating engraver, a sheet of plexiglass, and brass tubing.
    Battery booster supplied current, vibrator supplied up & down movement, plexiglass kept me from being shocked stupid, and common brass tubing worked as electrode.
    When a middle schooler can build one, it's not complicated, and I removed hardened taps & bolts, broken off 'Easy Outs' for cash.

When the coal mines wanted slots cut in hardened wear plate, I was actually making more a week part time than my dad was making working full time.

Things have progressed with CNC controls, now you can machine to the millionth of an inch, contour shape/engrave, machine ANY shape hole, even machine with spiral electrodes for air or coolant passages can spiral in the base material.

For me, it's ported barrels with my name or initials, chambers & dies that are custom & precise, race car parts that are customized, etc.
    Want 'D' shaped ports? Star shaped ports? Oval slot ports? No problem at all, even your initials as ports!

It's like electromagnetic induction heating, I use it for sliver soldering & brazing, heat treating, even case hardening & anti-corrosion coating applications.
    It's not just for annealing brass anymore!

I never heard of any of these people.

I spent all my time building crap, so I don't know the EDM band either...
    Different strokes for different folks!

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What we need is a video of EDM machining with EDM music.

tenor.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Happy to see this thread come back.

I'm not into hardcore EDM, I tend toward more disco & melodic type,and a little chill.

However, I did see Illenium at Bonnaroo a year ago, and I just bought my tickets for next year, so let's see what happens.

But I hooked on Purple Disco Machine - I might even plan a European trip around seeing him perform.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Happy to see this thread come back.

I'm not into hardcore EDM, I tend toward more disco & melodic type,and a little chill.

However, I did see Illenium at Bonnaroo a year ago, and I just bought my tickets for next year, so let's see what happens.

But I hooked on Purple Disco Machine - I might even plan a European trip around seeing him perform.

Man I bet Illenium was awesome!

Some producers I’ve been into lately:

Tinlicker
    Sultan+Shepard
    Ben Bohmer
    Above & Beyond

All very chill/melodic.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Man I bet Illenium was awesome!

Some producers I’ve been into lately:

Tinlicker
    Sultan+Shepard
    Ben Bohmer
    Above & Beyond

All very chill/melodic.
    I was pretty crazy - my friend wanted to be up close so we did. It was so hot in middle TN, then those fire pots kicked in - :flamethrower:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Reviving for Christmas :rockwoot:

I’m a big EDM/Trance/Electronica fan, but that was… something. :lmfao:

I still have loads of CDs of classic/“vintage” trance, but haven’t bought much music in years. I miss CDs, if I’m being frank. Something about knowing I own the physical media. My most recent purchase was Daft Punk’s “Random Access Memories,” which I’ve known of for years but just last month broke down and bought it on iTunes.

Most of my listening in recent years has been via podcasts. Shane54’s “International Departures” is a favorite, as is Solar Stone’s “Pure Trance Radio.” I was a LOOOONG time listener of Above & Beyond, starting back when their show was still “Trance Around The World,” or TATW. Then they changed the show to “Group Therapy,” or ABGT for short. And a few years ago they basically cut it from the full 2hr podcast down to a crappy 20min “highlights” show, with the full show streaming on Spotify or some such. That pissed me off a good bit, but what can you do?

Lots of good recent stuff from the shows though, like Camel Phat, Tinlicker, Jerome Isma-Ae, The Blizzard, etc. Then there’s always the greats, like Armin van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Solar Stone, Tiesto, etc. I’m gonna dig out my old CD collection tomorrow!

A hidden gem of the early 2000s was a guy who went by DJ DoBoy. He didn’t do much of his own music, but the mixes he put out were amazing. They used to stream his stuff on a website called di.fm which is apparently still around and has an app. But way back when, he would burn you his entire collection for a fee, and I got it. It’s great stuff, some of them can still be found on YouTube if you look!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom