• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Also, projectile overall lengths vary from 1.230" to 1.250". Big deal? I don't have a comparator to compare ogive.

I personally haven't weight sorted my brass. I have no doubts that I could shrink my groups by doing so, however. I think Fred Sinclair says anything within 1.5% weight fluctuation on brass is GTG. Might want to verify the exact number, though. Those bullet weights are plenty close. What type of bullets? SMK? I wouldn't stress too much on the bullet length difference. What you really need to know is length from base of cartridge to the ogive, and the length of he bullet from base to ogive. If that number is consistent, you are fine. Comparators don't cost too much, you might want to get one for that. The big thing you're looking for is that there is a consistent distance between the ogive and the lands, and a consistent amount of bullet in the case, so that your pressures are consistent from shot to shot. Depending on where your bullet seater is contacting the bullet itself, you may or may not have much to worry about on the cartridge length.

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Also, projectile overall lengths vary from 1.230" to 1.250". Big deal? I don't have a comparator to compare ogive.
    Don't worry about the overall length of the projectile. Since your not measuring the ogive they'll all be different. That's because the meplat on SMK are always different. I weigh the SMK and pull the 175.1 and 175.2 for my match load since a bulk of the lot fell between that weight.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Don't worry about the overall length of the projectile. Since your not measuring the ogive they'll all be different. That's because the meplat on SMK are always different. I weigh the SMK and pull the 175.1 and 175.2 for my match load since a bulk of the lot fell between that weight.

Yeah, I forgot about the meplat. It's been a while since I shot an otm bullet.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I did some more tinkering. I used the rifle to seat a projectile into an unprimed brass. I continued to cycle the same round into the chamber until I could push forward and lock the bolt down with no resistance. COAL was 2.950". I could tell where the ogive was by the start of the markings the lands left on the projectile. Base to ogive was 2.330". That'll put me around .070" jump to fit in the mag.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, unfortunately, that's what I'm dealing with too. If you're out there and you're listening Remington, thanks for nothing.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My boss was kind enough to loan me his micrometer seating dies so I got those set up tonight. 2.890" COAL. I know I know, measure to the ogive, but I just got them to barely fit in the magazine and left it alone. Whatever jump is, I'll deal with it. Only thing I'm waiting on is the stinkin shell holder for the hand primer.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

And I weight sorted by brass the other night. Mainly cause I was bored. All of the brass between 173.0 and 173.9 got put in one bag. Everything between 174.0 and 174.9 in another. The five or six outside those parameters got put into a separate bag for foulers/sighters/whatever. I also weight sorted my projectiles. The vast majority fell between 174.9 and 175.1 grains. The few that were way outside of spec got put in the whatever bag.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It's been a while since I've updated. Made it out to the range to try and figure out max load for my rifle. Hodgdon's website states 45 grains max for a 175 SMK over Varget. Well I got up to 45.8 with no pressure signs at all. I know all rifles are different, but almost a full grain over max?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm running 44 grains of Varget with 168 gr. AMAX and using CCI BR primers. I have 175 SMKs but haven't tried those out yet. I'm still trying to find a place to stretch my 308 out. 100 yds. at Atterbury with a .308 gets boring after a handful of rounds.

Do you have 3 rounds touching or is that 5 with a couple of sight-in shots?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm running 44 grains of Varget with 168 gr. AMAX and using CCI BR primers. I have 175 SMKs but haven't tried those out yet. I'm still trying to find a place to stretch my 308 out. 100 yds. at Atterbury with a .308 gets boring after a handful of rounds.

Do you have 3 rounds touching or is that 5 with a couple of sight-in shots?

That's 5 shots with progressively higher powder charges. All 5 shots were taken after sight in.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Ammo fired in May can be totally different in the heat of August. Even though modern load data is notoriously conservative, being cautious when going above maximum is warranted.

What is the velocity? This data is very important to know.

Regarding "jump" to the lands, the SMK is pretty indifferent to it. Especially .070 which is actually quite good for a factory rifle. Your group proves that.

Last edited:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Ammo fired in May can be totally different in the heat of August. Even though modern load data is notoriously conservative, being cautious when going above maximum is warranted.

What is the velocity? This data is very important to know.

Yeah unfortunately I do not own a chrono and was not able to borrow one for that range trip. I remember hearing somewhere that Varget was specifically engineered to be less temperature sensitive. Is that just hearsay?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah unfortunately I do not own a chrono and was not able to borrow one for that range trip. I remember hearing somewhere that Varget was specifically engineered to be less temperature sensitive. Is that just hearsay

Hodgon makes a number of what they call "Extreme" powders, and are supposed to be less temp sensitive. They are, but it is always good to "trust but verify". Varget does fall into that category. I wouldnt be overly concerned going from 80 degrees to 100 degrees but I would build back up to the load for 100 degree weather if I had initially developed it below say 45 degrees.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am just getting into reloading. Have a 300 WBY Mag that I am looking forward to tinkering with. Frankly, I just finished reading this entire thread and have become worried about what I am getting into. Knowing how I tend to become obsessed with my hobbies and love "tweaking", this is going to consume me. <evil grin> Now I can't wait to play!

Thanks for a great thread folks!

Top Bottom