• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    There's a couple different methods but they all do the same thing. Matching the entire cartridge (brass, primer, powder weight, seating depth) to YOUR barrel. More specifically to your barrel's harmonics.

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I have read the first one before. Was wondering where you were in your development. My assumption is that after you find your charge weight, you would work on seating depth?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have read the first one before. Was wondering where you were in your development. My assumption is that after you find your charge weight, you would work on seating depth?

Yeah I'm at the beginning stages. Powder first and then you can change one variable at a time: seating depth, primer type, etc. and see if you can shrink your groups even more. I'm building this as more of a "tactical" rig not necessarily a competition gun, so my seating depth/CAOL was determined by the magazine.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I saw a youtube of jerry miclete shoot a 9mm a 1000 yds and hit 10" ballon with a revolver. Any bullet can be tuned. Some flatter than others.
    There is lots and lots of load data for 308. Chrono - testing - grouping and practice

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Good advice. What factors affect bullet flatness? And the tuning?

Curious to know.

I'd like to take a stab at this one. If I'm not mistaken, gravity acts on all objects the same way. When we say a bullet shoots flat, are we not just saying that it travels fast? In other words the bullet gets to the target in a shorter amount of time, meaning that the bullet will have less vertical travel in the time it takes to reach the target. As far as tuning goes, I have nothing.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd like to take a stab at this one. If I'm not mistaken, gravity acts on all objects the same way. When we say a bullet shoots flat, are we not just saying that it travels fast? In other words the bullet gets to the target in a shorter amount of time, meaning that the bullet will have less vertical travel in the time it takes to reach the target. As far as tuning goes, I have nothing.

Yes sir! "In theory" if you want to say that but more so the case is... IF the Earth was flat and you dropped a round from the same height as the barrel at the same time you fired the level gun then the two rounds would hit the ground at the same time.

Top Bottom