• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Life is all about choices. If you want to send your kids to decent school, move out of Marion county. If you want a lucrative credit card fraud kind of lifestyle, Marion county might be for you. This ain't rocket surgery.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    it’s up to the doc whether he sees the low acuity patient. But we review all the charts.

A booking sergeant reviews all the reports. And it's not "insigificant" that decides if it gets booked, it's is it workable. Sometimes your completion is the guy dies. No matter what you do, it's dead. Sometimes they are already dead when they get there. Is the dead guy's life "insignificant", or is there just nothing you can do?

I'm not sure how SWAT entered the discussion. Seems like you're moving the goal posts on your warrant comment, but whatever. I've given you just a glimpse of why reality isn't the ideal you'd like and why what you think would fix it is unlikely to. You can continue to assume and complain, or you can take it as it's offered.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A booking sergeant reviews all the reports. And it's not "insigificant" that decides if it gets booked, it's is it workable. Sometimes your completion is the guy dies. No matter what you do, it's dead. Sometimes they are already dead when they get there. Is the dead guy's life "insignificant", or is there just nothing you can do?

I'm not sure how SWAT entered the discussion. Seems like you're moving the goal posts on your warrant comment, but whatever. I've given you just a glimpse of why reality isn't the ideal you'd like and why what you think would fix it is unlikely to. You can continue to assume and complain, or you can take it as it's offered.

I was not given the chance to make a report. I was told they were not interested. Maybe my case of one is isolated but every officer here agrees that unlikely to be convicted so why bother which makes me think it’s the norm. I’m not a legal dude, but being in video at the payment kiosk in a lane scanning a card at the same millisecond the stolen card was scanned at the same kiosk at the same lane sure sounds like solid evidence to me. Maybe it’s not, I honestly don’t know. If not then our system is more flawed than I know.

swat came in to explain why an ER doc does not see every patient. Different level training for different scenarios

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think if people were allowed to snaps the neck of someone who steals their identity or credit, there might be less of it. Not easy to find them, but after a few . . .

giphy.gif

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Anyway my point is that it’s frustrating when “white collar” crime affects you and there’s no recourse. You wish there was some means to get satisfaction and punish the one who did it. The retailer is hosed when stolen CC are used to take product from a store. It’s not just a bank issue. Usually the bank is fine.

my issue is with the system, no one in particular

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Life is all about choices. If you want to send your kids to decent school, move out of Marion county. If you want a lucrative credit card fraud kind of lifestyle, Marion county might be for you. This ain't rocket surgery.

Where do I move for the methbilly lifestyle?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Anyway my point is that it’s frustrating when “white collar” crime affects you and there’s no recourse. You wish there was some means to get satisfaction and punish the one who did it. The retailer is hosed when stolen CC are used to take product from a store. It’s not just a bank issue. Usually the bank is fine.

my issue is with the system, no one in particular

The police are frustrated too. We want to be able to catch criminals, no matter how "petty" the crime is. But our hands are tied most of the time. And many of have been victims of crime as well and have been told that the crime wasn't going to be prosecuted for whatever reason.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Funny thing is, the system may have no interest in investigating or prosecuting your case, but the moment you render a little justice of your own, suddenly everyone would be getting their panties in a twist.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Funny thing is, the system may have no interest in investigating or prosecuting your case, but the moment you render a little justice of your own, suddenly everyone would be getting their panties in a twist.

Maybe, maybe not. I can give you examples both ways, and again it goes back to evidence, how cooperative your victim is, etc.

I had a woman who was the victim of an attempt murder with an ax. A bunch of urban outdoorsman were sitting around a fire and during an argument a guy hit her in the side of the head with an axe, removing part of her ear. The only reason it didn't kill her is the handle shattered and the blade didn't penetrate her skull, but she had permanent disfigurement.

She didn't show up to trial and I learned she and the suspect had made a deal. She wouldn't show up to court, he would lay prone and four of her friends got to kick him for a set time (30 seconds, IIRC). He never officially reported it, and while he was obviously injured exactly nothing happened with it due to uncooperative witness.

Had he cooperated and there been sufficient proof, yes, it would have been treated exactly the same as the original crime. But, he didn't, so it wasn't.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Voluntarily accepting punishment for doing stupid stuff...that's almost refreshing. I have to say though if somebody hit me in the head with an axe hard enough to break the handle I'm not sure a 30 sec curb stomping would seem like justice.

I have got this nice bearded Viking hand axe that I could try out though...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Every legal case, both civil and criminal, is unique. Just as is every medical case. The problem is that we do not have the resources to live in a utopian society where every criminal has heroic resources sent to track him or her down, just as we don't use heroic resources on every single medical patient. Sad, but true. Some of this is human fault, some of it is system error, and some of it is a systemic fault by design.

Then we need to look at the judges. How many police and prosecutors want to spend time, money and other resources to track down a $200 credit card fraud when they KNOW the goober judge will not punish the criminal? As much as I would want nail every bug that ruins a credit rating for years right to the floor I would not waste my time if I knew the judges wouldn't make it painful for the criminal.

This will continue to be a frustrating problem in our society until we as citizens start yelling about it.

Regards,

Doug

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Where I work, I put in EASY, at least a dozen cases a month of shoplifting. It is very rare for a detective to contact us for investigation. This doesn't bother me, I know what it takes and if I can't identify the suspect, how do I expect them to. Yes I have video, yes I have them putting it down their pants, in their purses, etc. But I don't know who they are. It's just a video.
    Now, when we had an "armed" robbery at work, BBI and other staff from IMPD were there, collecting evidence, video etc. Fortunately the suspect was caught, thanks to a customer, our money is in evidence, the case is being dealt with. I don't know where the investigation is, if the guy is pleading out or going to trial. I was just manager on duty when it happened.
    IMPD and Detectives do what they can. If I didn't have the customer that followed our robber, the case probably would have been dead in the water. As much as that would have upset me, I get it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Voluntarily accepting punishment for doing stupid stuff...that's almost refreshing. I have to say though if somebody hit me in the head with an axe hard enough to break the handle I'm not sure a 30 sec curb stomping would seem like justice.

I have got this nice bearded Viking hand axe that I could try out though...

The interesting thing is they can all go back to being friends afterward. Both parties felt like they were even, so the matter is settled. The tribe is preserved, so to speak, with no member having to be cast out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The interesting thing is they can all go back to being friends afterward. Both parties felt like they were even, so the matter is settled. The tribe is preserved, so to speak, with no member having to be cast out.

I see that...but something tells me that more than one member of the tribe has had or will have (or both) interaction with the official criminal justice system.

Top Bottom