• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it doesn't involve a vehicle on the interstate, they aren't interested.

A few years ago an ISP detective was very helpful in resolving a case of embezzlement. I was surprised such crimes were within their purview since it didn't involve hiding in a truck disguised to look like an INDOT vehicle and waiting to pounce on poor, unsuspecting me.

Not so many years ago, a couple of ISP detectives were in my place of work to remove a scumbag (not me, that time) who had warrants for his arrest for some inhuman crimes that did not involve the road, but there was extradition involved.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A few years ago an ISP detective was very helpful in resolving a case of embezzlement. I was surprised such crimes were within their purview since it didn't involve hiding in a truck disguised to look like an INDOT vehicle and waiting to pounce on poor, unsuspecting me.

Not so many years ago, a couple of ISP detectives were in my place of work to remove a scumbag (not me, that time) who had warrants for his arrest for some inhuman crimes that did not involve the road, but there was extradition involved.

In my limited experience ISP is more involved in rural and smaller communities that lack police resources large urban areas have.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In my limited experience ISP is more involved in rural and smaller communities that lack police resources large urban areas have.

That makes sense! The two situations I mentioned were Vigo County and Indianapolis, respectively, so maybe sometimes the do venture into more crowded waters.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’m not a legal dude, but being in video at the payment kiosk in a lane scanning a card at the same millisecond the stolen card was scanned at the same kiosk at the same lane sure sounds like solid evidence to me. Maybe it’s not, I honestly don’t know. If not then our system is more flawed than I know.

The problem is proving it’s you. I have quite a few decent surveillance shots of people conducting illegal activity, but I still don’t have any idea who they are. Assuming I can somehow identify them, I still have to prove it was you and not just someone who looks similar to you. Obviously it’s a lot easier when the victim knows the suspect, but that’s usually not the case in these situations.

I know it’s frustrating, and we share that frustration too. None of us got into this job to blow things off and let criminals have their way.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That makes sense! The two situations I mentioned were Vigo County and Indianapolis, respectively, so maybe sometimes the do venture into more crowded waters.
    In 2007, I started getting collection letters from several businesses in the Terre Haute area. Some POS had gotten an appartment, Comcast internet, electric, gas, and had written checks all over the place. I had collections after me, and leans on my car and house. I tried to report to Marion County and their response just pissed me off. So I called the Indiana Atty General's office. They told me since it involved multiple counties and ID theft/fraud, I needed to call the State Police. So I did. The ISP said "what do you want us to do" and all but refused to take a report. I called the Atty Gen's office back and told them. Their response was "let us make a few calls". The next day, a very nice ISP Lt. paid me a visit. Took my information, apologized and assured me that the lack of professionalism is not acceptable in his department. A few days later, I had a copy of the report and the Atty Gen's office helped me submit affidavits to all the collection offices. Took about 6 months, but got it all straightened out.

Crimes that cross county lines and involved ID theft/fraud should be addressed by the ISP.

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I will try to keep this short & simple. My daughter had a "friend" take her billfold out of her purse in Danville, it had her drivers license and SS card, where she had needed it at work. She noticed it the next day and looked everywhere for it. Then we started getting credit cards, credit denials, etc. We filed charges in Danville and the Detective started working the case along with us finding out what we could. We have now narrowed it down to an address in Marion County where the packages are being sent and the person who did its name(because she used her real cell number and address). The lady in Marion County is a friend of the girl from Danville who took it.

Here is the problem. Hendricks County Prosecutor won't let him go to Marion County...so he needs an IMPD Detective to help him out. The address she lives at and the shipping address are both about 1/2 miles south of Washington St and 1/2 West of Holt Rd. If any of you guys can help him out, please contact me or contact Det. Allison at Danville P.D. He said he has all the paperwork and files he can send you. He has the name of the person doing it, their home address and the address next door where packages are being sent.

Thanks for any help or advice.
    I am terribly sorry for sll the trouble your daughter is experiencing, and I hope IMPD helps out. I hope your daughter takes time to review her friends list. I hope the dirt bags who are involved die a slow death.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am terribly sorry for sll the trouble your daughter is experiencing, and I hope IMPD helps out. I hope your daughter takes time to review her friends list. I hope the dirt bags who are involved die a slow death.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind words, it is sure appreciated. As parents all we can do is teach our children right from wrong, give them opportunities and hope they understand they don't have to make our mistakes again....sometimes it works, other times they have to learn the hard way. I think the last few months has really caused her to stop and rethink her future.

On another note....it sounds like this has blossomed into other crimes going to be solved as well. I don't want to say much about it and interfere with any investigations. Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom