Any John Deere experts? Or someone who can diagnose a riding mower problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was at Superior Small Engine in Mitchell today getting parts for my mower. They've got a few used and a bunch of new ones in stock to choose from.

Those new Gravely's and Scags sure look nice...but for 5 digits, I expected more gold and diamonds. :):

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I was at Superior Small Engine in Mitchell today getting parts for my mower. They've got a few used and a bunch of new ones in stock to choose from.

Those new Gravely's and Scags sure look nice...but for 5 digits, I expected more gold and diamonds. :):

I'll keep them in mind, thanks. And I don't need a big, fancy mower. I mainly use it to pick up leaves in the fall because Beech Grove DPW collects them.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So I finally had time to look into the issues with the JD. The most pressing one was it not shifting out of gear. Not sure how the newer JD riders are, but mine won't start in gear.

My dad and I took off the rear part of the body and immediately noticed the vent hose for the fuel tank was rotten and had fallen off. I took off the vent hose connector and made sure it wasn't clogged. We removed the fuel tank from the mower and upon manipulating the gear shift lever, my dad noticed the linkage between the lever and the transmission was catching on other parts. So we tightened up the bolt and voilà, the mower shifts into all the gears and back to neutral. So what I was thinking was going to be a several hundred dollar transmission fix turned out to be a loose bolt.

As far as the mower quitting after a relatively short time of use, I wasn't able to diagnose due to the weather keeping me from mowing and seeing if it still happens. I checked the vent hole in the gas cap and it didn't appear to be clogged. Well see how it goes when I'm able to run it properly.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and checking in to see if it had been fixed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, never loan it out.

One of my brothers borrowed my old Craftsman, it wasn't 28, but it was probably 15-20.
    Hit a pipe, just bent the blade.
    But he didn't tell me.
    I went to start it, and it tried to shake itself to death.

So, a few years later, borrowed it again.
    Hit the same pipe. :xmad:
    Parts of the engine broke through the engine case.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Well, never loan it out.

One of my brothers borrowed my old Craftsman, it wasn't 28, but it was probably 15-20.
    But he didn't tell me.

Fool me once....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, never loan it out.

But he didn't tell me.

And I am sure he did not repair/replace it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, never loan it out.

But he didn't tell me.

Go big or go home, right? That's what I did... A few years ago, we moved from a house with a 1/10 acre lot to a house with 20+ acres. My brother had recently replaced his old lawn tractor with a bigger, new one. He let me borrow his old one for the summer, while I was shopping for a new one myself. First weekend I had it home, I burned it to the ground.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So we tightened up the bolt and voilà, the mower shifts into all the gears and back to neutral. So what I was thinking was going to be a several hundred dollar transmission fix turned out to be a loose bolt.
    I... err, some random guy on craigslist had that happen to him once on his really nice rear-tine tiller, so he listed it for free. I've been using that tiller for 8 years now. The pin that holds the shift-linkage onto the shift-shaft that goes into the transmission had backed out to the point that the linkage was just turning on the shaft and the shaft wasn't turning. I told him it was probably just a simple fix and he said, "I don't care, I'm sick of the stupid thing and want it gone" So I obliged, picked it up, got home and looked it over and within 5 minutes it was fixed and running! That being said, it does have a bearing out in the transmission; they (Craftsman tillers) are notorious for cheap bearings in the transmission, but it only squeals and screams in reverse or when there is no resistance on the wheels (just driving it).

Well, never loan it out.

But he didn't tell me.

Ouch, did he replace/repair it the second time?

I completely killed my new (to me) Exmark zero-turn last week mowing a new section of yard that was grown up. Apparently the previous owner wanted to leave me a dog bed so he put it out in the grass and let grass grow up through it. I didn't even see it, I hit it and instantly killed a 27 hp Kohler twin-cylinder engine. Only took a couple minutes to get it out of the deck thankfully and haven't noticed any damage... but that's hard on things.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Any luck Frank?

My older JD was doing the same thing and my dad and I tore into mine. There is a metal shroud covering the cooling fins near the front of the motor. The cooling fins on mine was clogged with cut crass. Once we removed the shroud and cleaned the fins, it's run like a top. We left the shroud off and I just check the cooling fins after I cut. The whole motor is covered with the engine cover so it's not like it's a high impact part.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My John Deere rider kept killing the battery. I replaced the battery and regulator and checked out wiring still would run the battery flat after mowing once. Only thing left was the stator so I bought a new one. Pulled the flywheel and the old stator was so packed in dirt and debris it wasn't able to charge. I put the new one in and boom. Running just fine. So if anyone needs a stator to try it is yours

Top Bottom