Any John Deere experts? Or someone who can diagnose a riding mower problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    One year later update...

Finally had a chance to have my dad come down and we tore into it again. Checked the fuel lines both from the tank to the fuel pump and from the fuel pump to the carb. Both were clear. Pulled the fuel shutoff out of the tank and found that the metal tube that goes into the tank was partially blocked. We cleaned it out as best we could and put the mower back together. I mowed half my yard and never lost power, so I am optimistic that we solved the problem. I'll mow the rest of the yard with it this weekend and see how it does. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and offers to help.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    One year later update...

Finally had a chance to have my dad come down and we tore into it again. Checked the fuel lines both from the tank to the fuel pump and from the fuel pump to the carb. Both were clear. Pulled the fuel shutoff out of the tank and found that the metal tube that goes into the tank was partially blocked. We cleaned it out as best we could and put the mower back together. I mowed half my yard and never lost power, so I am optimistic that we solved the problem. I'll mow the rest of the yard with it this weekend and see how it does. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and offers to help.

Great news!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw the subject and was expecting a "name that Johnny Popper" thread. :( OK I stopped reading at John Deere experts.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Thanks for the update Frank.

Mechanical problems like yours can be frustrating. One positive aspect to your issue was the opportunity to spend some time with your dad working on the problem. I imagine there are lots of INGO members who would love to spend time with their dads again. :yesway:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks for the update Frank.

Mechanical problems like yours can be frustrating. One positive aspect to your issue was the opportunity to spend some time with your dad working on the problem. I imagine there are lots of INGO members who would love to spend time with their dads again. :yesway:

Yep. With my parents both turning 80 later this year I have to make the most of it.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have no idea who Johnny Popper is/was.
    The 2-cylinder John Deere tractors made from the 1930s (maybe late-20s for some) up through 1961. They had a distinctive sound that led to the term Johnny Popper. At the State Fair you can see a lot of them. They also had a hand clutch for a reason I can't explain other than John Deere gotta be different. The older B Model below has a manual (flywheel) starter. Parking these tractors on a hill and roll-starting them was a better choice.

1941-John-Deere-B.gif

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The 2-cylinder John Deere tractors made from the 1930s (maybe late-20s for some) up through 1961. They had a distinctive sound that led to the term Johnny Popper. At the State Fair you can see a lot of them. They also had a hand clutch for a reason I can't explain other than John Deere gotta be different. The older B Model below has a manual (flywheel) starter. Parking these tractors on a hill and roll-starting them was a better choice.

1941-John-Deere-B.gif

Gotcha. I have no experience with JD products other than this mower.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Gotcha. I have no experience with JD products other than this mower.

I spent a great deal of my youth on a John Deere 4000 (a 4020 with the transmission from a 4010 and a few other differences.) John Deere didn't make a lot of the 4000 model, they made over 184K 4020s from 1964-1972, one hell of a tractor.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I spent a great deal of my youth on a John Deere 4000 (a 4020 with the transmission from a 4010 and a few other differences.) John Deere didn't make a lot of the 4000 model, they made over 184K 4020s from 1964-1972, one hell of a tractor.

I have never seen a 4000, and I've seen a lot of JDs. Looks like they made about 60K of them.

I spent entirely too much time on a 3010, with a 2 row corn picker mounted on the front.:rolleyes:

We still have every tractor my grandpa ever bought. He first bought a 1950 John Deere A. Then the 3010 and a 2020 in the late 60s. My dad restored the A in the early 80s. Grandpa was so pleased with it, he started collecting 2 cylinders for dad to restore. Now there's a couple As, couple Ls, a B, a G, a H, and a really old GP on steel wheels. They are cool, but I was always jealous of the neighbor kids whose dad restored 1960s muscle cars.:):

UbXrVl7.jpg

We are all out of room for tractors, so the old man has moved on to restoring implements for them. Mainly plows.

A5zUngN.jpg

DH3C33I.jpg

The problem now is that he needs two of every plow. One fully restored that I call his parade plow, and one just mechanically restored for playing in the dirt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The 2-cylinder John Deere tractors made from the 1930s (maybe late-20s for some) up through 1961. They had a distinctive sound that led to the term Johnny Popper. At the State Fair you can see a lot of them. They also had a hand clutch for a reason I can't explain other than John Deere gotta be different. The older B Model below has a manual (flywheel) starter. Parking these tractors on a hill and roll-starting them was a better choice...

I wouldn't disagree with that. Gotta be different combined with "that's the way we always did it" FTW.

The old Waterloo Boy used a hand clutch on the stationary engines that latter became the Waterloo Boy tractor, and the company was bought by John Deere so it could get into the tractor business and they kept the hand clutch. The hand clutch worked well for belt work and the old-timers who grew up with it swear by it. The rest of us swear at it.

Allis Chalmers had a hand clutch too, but they had a foot clutch for tractor movement and the hand clutch was primarily used to engage/disengage the pto while moving...which actually made sense.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...The hand clutch worked well for belt work and the old-timers who grew up with it swear by it. The rest of us swear at it...

Those old timers probably never had the pleasure of loading/unloading them on a beaver tailed trailer. I have no doubt that's how my old man is gonna go out.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom