Any John Deere experts? Or someone who can diagnose a riding mower problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    So I finally had time to look into the issues with the JD. The most pressing one was it not shifting out of gear. Not sure how the newer JD riders are, but mine won't start in gear.

My dad and I took off the rear part of the body and immediately noticed the vent hose for the fuel tank was rotten and had fallen off. I took off the vent hose connector and made sure it wasn't clogged. We removed the fuel tank from the mower and upon manipulating the gear shift lever, my dad noticed the linkage between the lever and the transmission was catching on other parts. So we tightened up the bolt and voilà, the mower shifts into all the gears and back to neutral. So what I was thinking was going to be a several hundred dollar transmission fix turned out to be a loose bolt.

As far as the mower quitting after a relatively short time of use, I wasn't able to diagnose due to the weather keeping me from mowing and seeing if it still happens. I checked the vent hole in the gas cap and it didn't appear to be clogged. Well see how it goes when I'm able to run it properly.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and checking in to see if it had been fixed.

Glad you got most of it fixed. If it gives you more problems, drop me a line.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    quick thought, I had a buddy with a simplicity that did the same thing, I helped him and we replaced almost the whole fuel system just to find out that the underbelly was so packed with old grass the motor couldnt cool itself, spent a good hour clearing all ventilation to the mower and it runs great again

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    quick thought, I had a buddy with a simplicity that did the same thing, I helped him and we replaced almost the whole fuel system just to find out that the underbelly was so packed with old grass the motor couldnt cool itself, spent a good hour clearing all ventilation to the mower and it runs great again

Sometimes that packed grass can do serious stuff.
    Which is why they recommend cleaning it out.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Sometimes that packed grass can do serious stuff.
    Which is why they recommend cleaning it out.

The grass has been cleaned out from all around the engine. I checked the hole in the fuel cap and it isn't blocked. It is still shutting off so I am going with previous advice and ordered a new coil. Will update when I receive it and it has been installed.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well Frank, sorry it isn't working yet.

Sidenote: I finally cut my grass for the first time Friday. Man did I luck out.
    While cutting the grass at the entrance to the subdivision, first, I ran over a rope. One of those that you use for tug of war with your dog. Thick, and has knots tied in it.
    Fortunately, I killed the mower fast.
    Unfortunately, the rope got caught between the blade and the mower deck. I spent probably 15 minutes worrying that thing out.
    I finally found another rope I could put around the blade to help me turn it a bit.
    Mower worked, I was worried.

2nd, driving back to my house, there's a high pitched squeal. Sounds like a bearing going out.
    Squeal happens even when stopped.
    Finally pulled over shut down mower.
    Found small branch/stick stuck between power take off and the belt.
    Once I pulled it out, I was good to go.

I was just thinking of this thread, so each time I was worried.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well Frank, sorry it isn't working yet.

Sidenote: I finally cut my grass for the first time Friday. Man did I luck out.
    While cutting the grass at the entrance to the subdivision, first, I ran over a rope. One of those that you use for tug of war with your dog. Thick, and has knots tied in it.
    Fortunately, I killed the mower fast.
    Unfortunately, the rope got caught between the blade and the mower deck. I spent probably 15 minutes worrying that thing out.
    I finally found another rope I could put around the blade to help me turn it a bit.
    Mower worked, I was worried.

2nd, driving back to my house, there's a high pitched squeal. Sounds like a bearing going out.
    Squeal happens even when stopped.
    Finally pulled over shut down mower.
    Found small branch/stick stuck between power take off and the belt.
    Once I pulled it out, I was good to go.

I was just thinking of this thread, so each time I was worried.

First time cutting the grass this year??? Was it 3' tall?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    First time cutting the grass this year??? Was it 3' tall?

Mine in the back yard, and at the front of the subdivision was high enough to hide hazards, such as the rope.
    My front yard wasn't too bad.

I was holding off because of the rain.
    I ended up sinking, almost getting stuck at the front of the subdivision. It was still swampy.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Mine in the back yard, and at the front of the subdivision was high enough to hide hazards, such as the rope.
    My front yard wasn't too bad.

I was holding off because of the rain.
    I ended up sinking, almost getting stuck at the front of the subdivision. It was still swampy.

Yeah mine was pretty tall but not tall enough to hide much more than small branches. It was really soupy in spots still.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    An update to the problems with my mower. I have replaced the coil, spark plug, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, and changed the oil. The transmission shifting problem turned out to be a loose bolt. It has always been difficult to start due what I finally figured out was a bad ignition switch, so that was replaced as well. It is still losing power and acting like it is starving for fuel. Sometimes I can catch it in time to keep it running, other times I have to start it again. My dad and I checked the fuel pump last weekend and found it is working, and we took the bowl off the carb but didn't completely remove it to check the innards. So like some of you have said, it is likely a fuel issue. My dad suggested I rig up a line that bypasses the fuel pump and goes straight to the carb and see if the carb or the fuel pump is the problem. I have yet to order a new gas cap, so that is on the agenda as well.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    it could be some trash in the carb. I would clean it thoroughly. Open it up and anything that can be removed then take it out and clean it and put it back together. Check all diaphragms for tears. Use compressed air for parts and places that can take it without breaking. Was the fuel filter full of debris, or did it look okay? If there was any debris then the tank may need to be cleaned.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Chances are the carb will not gravity feed from the tank, due to the tank being lower than the carb. I would start by cleaning the carb and check the movement on the shut-off solenoid, on the bottom of the bowl. If that solenoid is getting weak, it could be shutting the fuel off or reducing the flow. If you need a hand, PM me and we can meet up.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    it could be some trash in the carb. I would clean it thoroughly. Open it up and anything that can be removed then take it out and clean it and put it back together. Check all diaphragms for tears. Use compressed air for parts and places that can take it without breaking. Was the fuel filter full of debris, or did it look okay? If there was any debris then the tank may need to be cleaned.

We pulled the bowl off the carb but didn't remove the entire carb from the mower. The bowl was spotless but of course that doesn't mean the carb isn't gummed up. When I replaced the fuel filter I didn't notice any big chunks.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Chances are the carb will not gravity feed from the tank, due to the tank being lower than the carb. I would start by cleaning the carb and check the movement on the shut-off solenoid, on the bottom of the bowl. If that solenoid is getting weak, it could be shutting the fuel off or reducing the flow. If you need a hand, PM me and we can meet up.

We checked the solenoid, it activates as soon as the key is turned. I'm not sure how far it is supposed to move, but it appears to work.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    We pulled the bowl off the carb but didn't remove the entire carb from the mower. The bowl was spotless but of course that doesn't mean the carb isn't gummed up. When I replaced the fuel filter I didn't notice any big chunks.
    I'd try removing the rest of it, but before you do I would clean the outside of it otherwise when you go to remove it there could be debris that falls into it from the outside, then you would need to remove what was already inside plus what just fell into it.

Top Bottom