Any ladies here have a husband with no interest in guns or shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I started shooting back in '94 with a pistol class out in Arizona that a friend talked me into attending. I was interested in some good basic instruction-- I came home HOOKED!! My husband (who initially thought this was just a passing fancy) was (searching for the right phrasing). . . . *freaked out* when he realized this was not going away! Although an accomplished martial artist, GUNS were not in his repertoire. As a teacher in an inner city school system his experience with guns was kids getting caught in the crossfire. We had some interesting discussions!! To his credit he's very adaptable! He went to the range with me a few times, even took a pistol class with me, got into air rifle some but still is not really a shooter. I got seriously hooked on Highpower Rifle shooting, now getting back into pistol after way too long away!! Shooting is my hobby, he has his- and we have plenty of things we love to do together.
    If any perp every broke in here he'd probably get off scott free with the silver while we were arguing over whether I get to shoot him, or hubby gets to use a blade. :)
    That's great, lol ;)

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Actually have a similar issue myself...I did encourage mine to get his LTCH and do some practicing simply to make sure there weren't issues if something happened to me, which he did. But it is very much my hobby. Not his. It started as a way for me to feel safe when running whenever or wherever I wanted, and has turned into something I enjoy very much. I guess I never looked at it as an issue that we didn't do it together. As for the kids, I'm actually debating an appropriate age (or maturity level) to introduce them to my hobby. In the interest of full disclosure however, I am very much used to being the rare female in male dominated fields due to my profession, so I've had a bit of practice (as has he with handling it).
    He has now said he will go shooting with me, at least a couple times to become familiar with my gun in case he needs to use it, AND to watch me and our son shoot :) That is really all I can ask for and am now quite content.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Here is my perspective on the question. Maybe it doesn't apply..

We have always been a "gun family". My youngest daughter married a fine, well educated man who I have lots of respect for. Eddie comes from a non-gun family. Not an anti-gun family, but there just is absolutely no firearms ownership in his immediate family for any reason. He never even had plastic toy guns as a child. He never played army or cowboys and indians. He was an only child.

I think that he feels totally intimidated by the whole gun thing because he isn't knowledgeable enough to even risk asking questions. He doesn't want to feel or look stupid. Of course, we wouldn't make fun of him, but the whole gun thing is totally a new concept for him. Perhaps fragile self esteem? We all love him....

I asked him tonight if he would be interested in taking possession of my Henry 22 lever action and a brick of ammo for him to shoot and carry as he sees fit and to become comfortable with on the farm. The grin on his face told the story. He asked me to show him the fundamentals of safety and shooting and of course I agreed. I told him that when the brick is gone, I would either give him another brick or he could choose a different rifle to borrow and to become comfortable with. I told him that he should consider carrying the rifle every chance he got so it felt good in his hands.

I talked to daughter and explained that she should leave him alone to work it out himself. I think she understands.

It is what my grandfather did for me and my brothers when we were 8 or so. He showed us the safety stuff and how to line up the sights then we walked out on our own in the Minnesota northwoods to explore and learn to be comfortable with our rifle and a .65 cent box of 22 longs.

BTW, SIL is 40 years old, daughter is 38.

Just something to consider.....

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Hmmmm....you might be right. This reminds me of when I finally figured out his resistance to playing Euchre! He refuses to learn it because he doesn't want anyone knowing he has no idea how to play. This took him several years to admit after many failed attempts on my part to get him to join in at parties. This really might be it. Since he didn't grow up with guns in the home and a mother who is about as left as they come...he had no exposure.
    I may be the only Hoosier who doesn't know how to play Euchre...but I hate most card games/board games.

Top Bottom