Any ladies here have a husband with no interest in guns or shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Libs don't do weapons. They/We want to evolve into better beings. Weapons are soooo tribal. We'd rather die than kill anyone. It's like the PRIME DIRECTIVE. It's built into our DNA. It didn't help that I grew up in a place where you couldn't own a firearm by law. I was 68 before I bought my first bazooka. I have to hang out here because if they knew, they would feel sorry for me. Wife disapproved. I must admit I don't love my weapon and there are many like it, but this one is mine. I don't know how to play Euchre either.....
    So, it's me, my pistol and my dog, and we visit wifey on the weekends. With the pooch, but w/o the peashooter .WIN/WIN....I guess... YEMV.
    To me it's a tool I needed to become familiar with. It's loud, obnoxious and deadly (OK, maybe not, it's 9mm). I prefer quiet, tasteful and life affirming.

p.s. Though it's warm and sunny here in NW Indy, there are accidents everywhere. Be careful out there.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I am feeling a bit guilty for placing this on here now. I had a very productive discussion with him and all is good :) Although he doesn't have the same level of interest as me, he is willing to go to the range with me. I just had to take a different approach, and it wasn't pushy or manipulative at all. This is proof that even long-married couples can still discover hiccups in their communication ;)

Thanks everyone!

That is great news.
    You are right about finding hiccups even after long term relationships. My wife and I are still finding areas we have to make adjustments to (1st post aside, I am not that boisterous usually. Especially with her.....:)) and after good open discussion we find common ground.

Jet girl, do you rent out the minions. Hourly or by the day.....:)

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Lori, I'm glad you've made progress on this! Maybe he will develop an interest in firearms, and maybe he won't. But at least he will have insight on what interests you in them. :)

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lori....I was not into guns nor am I now but I look at how Indy is appearing a bit more unsafe to my liking. I am a moderate liberal who never thought handguns were necessary. I don't care about rifles and shotguns. I just recently decided to purchase a handgun for home and carry (I do have my LTCH). I would suggest that maybe you can point out to your husband that it isn't as safe as it was before. As some have said, just ask him to come with you to learn proper handling of a gun just in case he would need to use it if your home was invaded. Two people in the household defending their property is better than one.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I didn't get the memo. When were we aloud to say no to our wife's. So If I don't like to do something I can just say no. Well this opens up a whole new world to me.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This problem comes up often on :ingo:. It is the same as the guys trying to get their wives interested. The difference here is that men tend to be sensitive when there are areas that are traditionally men's territory that they themselves know nothing about. I don't know if that's the case here, obviously, but I have met guys with a great resistance to going shooting. It wasn't that they weren't interested it was they didn't want to be on public display as the know nothing noob. You furthering your knowledge and experience would only aggravate this. Best get him on board quickly. The best way might be to find someone with a private range where he wouldn't feel like he was on public display. I might be way off base with this but, then again, maybe not.
    Sometimes it's better to attend a class together. Having a structured lesson with others attending, delivered by *the instructor* takes care of all those issues. FWIW my son doesn't have any interest either. I've made him take a basic pistol class and he's gone shooting occasionally but he'd never choose it.
    Maybe father's day...

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I started shooting back in '94 with a pistol class out in Arizona that a friend talked me into attending. I was interested in some good basic instruction-- I came home HOOKED!! My husband (who initially thought this was just a passing fancy) was (searching for the right phrasing). . . . *freaked out* when he realized this was not going away! Although an accomplished martial artist, GUNS were not in his repertoire. As a teacher in an inner city school system his experience with guns was kids getting caught in the crossfire. We had some interesting discussions!! To his credit he's very adaptable! He went to the range with me a few times, even took a pistol class with me, got into air rifle some but still is not really a shooter. I got seriously hooked on Highpower Rifle shooting, now getting back into pistol after way too long away!! Shooting is my hobby, he has his- and we have plenty of things we love to do together.
    If any perp every broke in here he'd probably get off scott free with the silver while we were arguing over whether I get to shoot him, or hubby gets to use a blade. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I started shooting back in '94 with a pistol class out in Arizona that a friend talked me into attending. I was interested in some good basic instruction-- I came home HOOKED!! My husband (who initially thought this was just a passing fancy) was (searching for the right phrasing). . . . *freaked out* when he realized this was not going away! Although an accomplished martial artist, GUNS were not in his repertoire. As a teacher in an inner city school system his experience with guns was kids getting caught in the crossfire. We had some interesting discussions!! To his credit he's very adaptable! He went to the range with me a few times, even took a pistol class with me, got into air rifle some but still is not really a shooter. I got seriously hooked on Highpower Rifle shooting, now getting back into pistol after way too long away!! Shooting is my hobby, he has his- and we have plenty of things we love to do together.
    If any perp every broke in here he'd probably get off scott free with the silver while we were arguing over whether I get to shoot him, or hubby gets to use a blade. :)

Oh..0h...0h...use the blade.....:)

squintz22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Between FW and Indy
    Actually have a similar issue myself...I did encourage mine to get his LTCH and do some practicing simply to make sure there weren't issues if something happened to me, which he did. But it is very much my hobby. Not his. It started as a way for me to feel safe when running whenever or wherever I wanted, and has turned into something I enjoy very much. I guess I never looked at it as an issue that we didn't do it together. As for the kids, I'm actually debating an appropriate age (or maturity level) to introduce them to my hobby. In the interest of full disclosure however, I am very much used to being the rare female in male dominated fields due to my profession, so I've had a bit of practice (as has he with handling it).

Top Bottom