Any ladies here have a husband with no interest in guns or shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not all were "slamming".
    Yeah, I know.
    I've just encountered enough of it over the last decade to make the subject touchy.
    You weren't in the crosshairs. lol

Hey, I apologized for responding under the influence of to many adult beverages on New Years eve....I did....really.......:)
    I was this close.....*this* close...to deploying my minions.
    Word.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I know.
    I've just encountered enough of it over the last decade to make the subject touchy.
    You weren't in the crosshairs. lol

I was this close.....*this* close...to deploying my minions.
    Word.

I see that now. It is one of my deepest regrets from last year....honest.....:alcoholic:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm definitely NOT slammin. My GF has the shooter bug as bad as I ever did. She wants to shoot every day, hits a lot of LGS, orders on line, etc. I love to shoot and I really enjoy guns BUT.....she's running it into the ground as any noob that got her first big grin and needs another fix.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    This problem comes up often on :ingo:. It is the same as the guys trying to get their wives interested. The difference here is that men tend to be sensitive when there are areas that are traditionally men's territory that they themselves know nothing about. I don't know if that's the case here, obviously, but I have met guys with a great resistance to going shooting. It wasn't that they weren't interested it was they didn't want to be on public display as the know nothing noob. You furthering your knowledge and experience would only aggravate this. Best get him on board quickly. The best way might be to find someone with a private range where he wouldn't feel like he was on public display. I might be way off base with this but, then again, maybe not.
    Hmmmm....you might be right. This reminds me of when I finally figured out his resistance to playing Euchre! He refuses to learn it because he doesn't want anyone knowing he has no idea how to play. This took him several years to admit after many failed attempts on my part to get him to join in at parties. This really might be it. Since he didn't grow up with guns in the home and a mother who is about as left as they come...he had no exposure.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    First of all, you're not alone in it.
    Secondly, I apologize for the SLOW-THINKERS slamming your man.

People, just because the dude doesn't dig it for himself doesn't make him a girly man. Geez!

Lori, it's not as uncommon as some would have you believe.
    Not only do I encounter it in some fashion every week or so at the store, I own one myself.
    He's just not that into it... though he doesn't begrudge me my "hobby" either and brags on it to others.
    Actually, he's a really good shot and will occasionally go with me when I hassle him enough...but he's more content to take pics of range trips and help me pick up my brass so I can reload it (when I can finally drag him out there!).
    My daughter shoots with me... I'm the one that took the reins with that, too.

I have shooter-friends that I meet up with when I get bored shooting alone...but actually, most of the time now I prefer being by myself out there!
    JetGirl - thank you so much! Finally, someone who understands - AND has my back ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Try the "Fire Extinguisher" approach....

"Honey, I am just not into guns."

"I know Dear, I am not into fire extinguishers. I do not belong to the National Fiire Extinguisher Association, I do not collect fire extingushers from different eras in history nor do I endlessly google my brand of fire extinguisher to see what others say who have my brand of fire extinguisher....But...I do know how to use it and be capable with it in case something should happen to you and I need it to protect our family from a fire.....

If you would shoot with us every now and again I would feel better knowing you are as efficient with a firearm as I am with the fire extinguisher we have...We are a team and have been for enough years for us to have grandchildren...When I practice shooting I feel like my partner needs to be there as well...If for no other reason than to tell me how proud you are of me and the abilities I have picked up since making our family's security a top priority...Plus you look like a little boy out there shooting and it reminds me of when we first met and you were eager to please me with the most trivial wants I had."

"Now come on...Let's put "Jack and Diane" in the CD player, grab some guns and bust some caps"

All offered IMHO ofcourse with no disrespect meant to you or your husband...Unlike Churchmouse I am typing this without the benefit of Bourbon and RC and have nothing to fall back on in case my comments are misconstrued...:):

Plus Jetgirl scares me........:D

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

th

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Try the "Fire Extinguisher" approach....

"Honey, I am just not into guns."

"I know Dear, I am not into fire extinguishers. I do not belong to the National Fiire Extinguisher Association, I do not collect fire extingushers from different eras in history nor do I endlessly google my brand of fire extinguisher to see what others say who have my brand of fire extinguisher....But...I do know how to use it and be capable with it in case something should happen to you and I need it to protect our family from a fire.....

If you would shoot with us every now and again I would feel better knowing you are as efficient with a firearm as I am with the fire extinguisher we have...We are a team and have been for enough years for us to have grandchildren...When I practice shooting I feel like my partner needs to be there as well...If for no other reason than to tell me how proud you are of me and the abilities I have picked up since making our family's security a top priority...Plus you look like a little boy out there shooting and it reminds me of when we first met and you were eager to please me with the most trivial wants I had"

"Now come on...Let's put "Jack and Diane" in the CD player, grab some guns and bust some caps"

All offered IMHO ofcourse with no disrespect meant to you or your husband...Unlike Churchmouse I am typing this without the benefit of Bourbon and RC and have nothing to fall back on in case my comments are misconstrued...:):

Can I just say - I haven't laughed this hard at any other post I have found on this entire site!!! I actually love it, lolol. I think I need to print it out and begin rehearsing my lines!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Can I just say - I haven't laughed this hard at any other post I have found on this entire site!!! I actually love it, lolol. I think I need to print it out and begin rehearsing my lines!

Use your own words Lori but speak from the heart. I think you will see he is still that guy that loped behind you like a lost puppy whose sole purpose in life was "to make that girl happy forever."

You Gals amaze me....Always so innocent of the true power and sway you have over us....

Or are you??????:cool:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Use your own words Lori but speak from the heart. I think you will see he is still that guy that loped behind you like a lost puppy whose sole purpose in life was "to make that girl happy forever."

You Gals amaze me....Always so innocent of the true power and sway you have over us....

Or are you??????:cool:

Does this 1911 make my butt look big? .......Beware!! answer with caution.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I dont really see it being a huge issue. Just because its perceived as being a male thing doesnt mean every male is interested. I think that if its that important that you be supported by him in this that you ask him to come watch, but i wouldnt make him shoot. Pushing someone to do something they arent comfortable in is just a recipe for disaster. Maybe as time goes on he will become more interested if he sees both his son and wife really enjoy it.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I dont really see it being a huge issue. Just because its perceived as being a male thing doesnt mean every male is interested. I think that if its that important that you be supported by him in this that you ask him to come watch, but i wouldnt make him shoot. Pushing someone to do something they arent comfortable in is just a recipe for disaster. Maybe as time goes on he will become more interested if he sees both his son and wife really enjoy it.
    Thank you, I will take this into consideration for sure. I am going to sleep on all of this and try to have a productive, but not pushy, conversation with him by this weekend. Wish me luck!

I really do appreciate everyone's opinion and feedback, well...almost everyone's ;)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thank you, I will take this into consideration for sure. I am going to sleep on all of this and try to have a productive, but not pushy, conversation with him by this weekend. Wish me luck!

I really do appreciate everyone's opinion and feedback, well...almost everyone's ;)
    Have you tried the "It can be a family activity" approach?

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    My MIL is way more interested in shooting than my FIL. We often practice together as a family, but he is rarely out on the range. My MIL is really good - maybe that plays into it? :dunno:

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Well, I am feeling a bit guilty for placing this on here now. I had a very productive discussion with him and all is good :) Although he doesn't have the same level of interest as me, he is willing to go to the range with me. I just had to take a different approach, and it wasn't pushy or manipulative at all. This is proof that even long-married couples can still discover hiccups in their communication ;)

Thanks everyone!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well, I am feeling a bit guilty for placing this on here now. I had a very productive discussion with him and all is good :) Although he doesn't have the same level of interest as me, he is willing to go to the range with me. I just had to take a different approach, and it wasn't pushy or manipulative at all. This is proof that even long-married couples can still discover hiccups in their communication ;)

Thanks everyone!
    Very glad to hear it, Lori. I know it sounds corny but love usually wins out.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well, I am feeling a bit guilty for placing this on here now. I had a very productive discussion with him and all is good :) Although he doesn't have the same level of interest as me, he is willing to go to the range with me.
    Good news.
    Maybe when he's not shooting, he'll be your personal photographer and applause group. :)

Top Bottom