Anybody burn wood, what chainsaw do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I still have the factory Reman Poulan I replaced the one you bought with.It runs and cuts just fine for what we do. If I were any deeper into it a Sthil would be the go to.

To the Poulan -- If you keep the chain clean and taught, the saw does the job. Ok, it leaks bar oil but if you store it on its side there is no problems.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Have 4 saws all stihl 023 025 029 460 and a stihl pole saw. I have a wood boiler and I really only use the 029 and 460. As stated a good Chain and bar is vital. I just tried a narrow kerf bar and chain and like it. Going to look at some of the mods I just read above.
    Who doesn't need more power? But I do like to save time when cutting.
    Good luck on your saw choice.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    From experience, I'll say your chain needs sharpening / replaced.

New out of the package oregon chain and it still seems to be kind of weak. When you pull the trigger from idle to wide open it boggs and then takes off. When cutting it seems to actually cut better @3/4 throttle than wide open. No idea how old it is or if I'm better off fixing it or buying a new saw

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    New out of the package oregon chain and it still seems to be kind of weak. When you pull the trigger from idle to wide open it boggs and then takes off. When cutting it seems to actually cut better @3/4 throttle than wide open. No idea how old it is or if I'm better off fixing it or buying a new saw

Carb needs attention. Check your mix (gas/oil) and put a new plug in it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Stihl. Buy once, cry once.

CSB:
    I have my late father's 028HV. It is so old that the bar says "made in WEST Germany". 25 years ago he finished with it and put it in the case. No prep as he didnt expect it to be the last time. He never used it again. Fast forward 20 years. I found it in the barn, put fuel and bar oil in it, and 3 pulls later she roared to life. Crazy.

They are cutting machines. You cant go wrong.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    My go to modern saw brand in Husqvarna. I currently have a 359 and 371XP. Covers most al general cutting.You can't really go wrong with any of the pro model saws from Husqvarna and Stihl. Even most of the homeowner clamshell designs from these manuafacturers can be a good choice for light to medium use. Just make sure to properly mix your fuel with a quality 2-stroke oil.I am also a collector and have many older saws, primarily McCulloch and Homelite. Love running my Homelite 1050 and 750.https://youtu.be/XXCpEWqPQoA
    30+ years ago, my stepdad had an old Homelite that cut tons of wood. We never did much felling, so he didn't have a very big saw, but that thing ran very well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Carb needs attention. Check your mix (gas/oil) and put a new plug in it.

Have tried a new plug and have only used the pre mixed canned fuel. Like say, I only gave $20 for it at a yard sale and it got me through a job that had to be done. There are 2 screws adjustments on the card "H" and "L" but they are finely splined and appears to require a special drive handle to adjust. May dig into it this weekend and see what happens

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've used Stihl for years. Still run an old Farm Boss with a 24" bar. I hear that Echo still makes a good saw and the Husqvarnas were ok when Dad was using them.
    I grew up running along behind my father trying to keep the wood picked up that he was cutting with an old Poulan that weighed in at every bit of 40 lbs and had a 36" bar. Dad was only 5'8" and about a buck fifty but he ran that saw about 6 hours a day for a lot of weekends in my memory banks. A tally of the cords I've stacked would scare most millennials to death. We heated an old two story farm house entirely with wood. I was glad when the children who came along after me were big enough to help.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Stihl 028 Wood Boss.

That saw survived a fire fire when my house burnt down 26 years ago. The saw was in a plastic case that I had the dealer throw in the deal. All it did was melt the case a little.

I used a McCullouch 1010 when I was 19. I cut timber for a living. Down south it's called pup wood for slang. Actually pronounced pulpwood. That saw was so heavy, I would set that beast on anything that would support it walking through the woods.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ok so I don't do a bunch of wood cutting, but am in the market for a chainsaw. I have an old 45cc poulan pro 20" (bought for $20 ata yard sale) but it seems to lack power when cutting logs. I have been looking and it seems Jonsered, poulan are both made by Husqvarna can anyone confirm this and steer me toward a reliable 20" saw that won't be lacking in power?

Johnsered and Redmax are both Husqvarnas as well as IIRC one other brand which escapes me. While Poulan is now made by Husqvarna, they are working toward the lower end of saw quality. Even a higher end 45cc saw is on the underpowered end of things with a 20 inch bar.

I currently use a red max G5300 which is a rebadged Husqvarna 353. It is a roughly 52cc higher end Husqvarna and I don't like to use it with anything more than an 18 inch bar.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Another stihl fan. My go to is a 361. My 066 gets whatever the 361 can't handle. The limbs meet the little 192t. I've got a few more but those 3 are my favorites.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Stihl, Dolmar/Makita, Husqy/Jonsered, they will all get you what you want, the rest is personal preference. Things that may sway your personal preference: cost, location of the nearest dealer, ergonomics, etc.

I'm a "die-hard Stihl fan", but I occasionally find more benefit/value in other products and I will buy them. The main benefit to Stihl is that they have a vast dealer network in this area, followed by Husqy, then Dolmar. If dealer is important to you then you most likely want Stihl (unless you know of a good local-to-you Husqy or Dolmar dealer). For me, a dealer isn't as important, cost/benefit ratio IS important. That's why when it came to acquiring a "big saw" I couldn't justify the high prices (even on the used market) that Stihl commanded. I picked up a Dolmar in Makita clothing (DCS 6401, 64 cc saw) used for a good price and it has served me very well!

Just about every other piece of OPE I have is Stihl though: Stihl MS170 (muffler modded & carb modded), Stihl 034 made in West Germany (dad handed this one down to me), Stihl FS130R trimmer, Stihl BG86 blower... and I would love to have the Stihl mini-tiller...

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Use a Husky farm boss or something like that, works great! Same size as my older poulan pro but the Husky has 5 times the power/rev. I grew up using Stihls, my dad still does. 026, 026 Super's work great.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Use a Husky farm boss or something like that, works great! Same size as my older poulan pro but the Husky has 5 times the power/rev. I grew up using Stihls, my dad still does. 026, 026 Super's work great.

I must be lucky or just know how to tune one. My Poulan (Factory Re-man) kicks butt even pulling a 20" bar. Revs well. Plenty of power. It has been stuck but only due to the idiot operator.
    I realize if it was used hard every day it's duty cycle would in no way match a Sthil but I have zero complaints with it.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I too have an outdoor boiler, so I cut A LOT of wood. Husky 359 with a woods port, gutted muffler, and 18" bar is my weapon of choice.

Top Bottom