Anybody burn wood, what chainsaw do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    For a pro, or "nearly pro" I can see not waiting on parts, gotta get the saw going again asap. But for the OP I don't think that's a priority. However, if he can't do his own work then he most definitely needs a servicing dealer nearby.

I think no matter what you run, you need to have a back up.
    My main saw is a Dolmar, but I have a back up Husqvarna 395xp.
    And if need be I have a few other Huskies and a Stihl or two ready to go.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Not putting Dolmar's down. They're just not as common around here.

As far as pro/firewood cutter/homeowner saws, I picked up a 170 last summer from the John Deere dealer in Muncie. Vibration control is almost non existent compared to the better saws, but this little "limbing" saw has cut more wood for me in the last year than all the others put together. I'm not saying the 170 is a race saw, but I'm impressed for what it is.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Ive own 372's and a 272. The 372-s were ported and muffler modded. My Dolmar will hand them their ass. They were.great saws though.

i had a PS-7310 and it wouldn't keep up with a stock 372xp so it went down the road.....must have got a bad one :dunno:

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Large and a small Stihl, those and a Timberwolf splitter keeps me in firewood all winter.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I always think these debates are the same as Chevy, Ford, or Dodge? Who is best? Me? I'm a ECHO guy. All my handheld equipment is Echo. The only problem I've ever had with a piece is on my 10 year old string trimmer, 20 bucks and a rebuilt carb and it runs like it was new again. I like the warranty better on Echo. It is a 5 year for homeowner or 2 years for commercial. Stihl would give you the second year if you bought a 2 year supply of their oil when you buy the equipment. I run AMSOIL in all my equipment so that would have been a waste of money. I just bought a CS400 18" bar chainsaw and I can't bog that thing down with what I do with it. I also have the biggest pole saw Echo makes and I can cut a 8" limb out of a tree so fast you wouldn't believe it.

I would never knock Stihl, it just wasn't a good fit for me when I was building up my tools. I also would never buy my Echo equipment at the orange box store that sells them. I equate it to buying a firearm, you want a dealer you can trust and will help you out if or when you get in a jam. -Jason

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    One of of the most important things said. For Honda and Stihl, the small shops have always had the same or very similar prices as the big box stores. The difference is, the small shops will most likely be able to fix it if something happens. The one I use actually bumps warranty work to the front of the line for repairs.

I also would never buy my Echo equipment at the orange box store that sells them. I equate it to buying a firearm, you want a dealer you can trust and will help you out if or when you get in a jam. -Jason

used Stihl when we were cutting for the grandparents. They were great saws.
    when I was buying for myself I chose echo. CS310 I've been running for around 10 years, and more recently a CS590. I grab the 310 more often, and it's been a good saw. The only problem I have with it is the oiler, it never stops. If you forget to store it on the side, or drain the oil, it will all run out.

For what it's worth, I would buy the saw I can get the best local support.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In

I would agree this is the most important thing when buying equipment like this. That is what I did. The closest dealer was an Echo dealer. Now that I have moved my new local dealer sells both. I also talked to pros before buying. I was told if you are solo Echo is the way to go. Stihl is for multiple people using the equipment and don't treat it like their own. -Jason

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    One of of the most important things said. For Honda and Stihl, the small shops have always had the same or very similar prices as the big box stores. The difference is, the small shops will most likely be able to fix it if something happens. The one I use actually bumps warranty work to the front of the line for repairs.

used Stihl when we were cutting for the grandparents. They were great saws.
    when I was buying for myself I chose echo. CS310 I've been running for around 10 years, and more recently a CS590. I grab the 310 more often, and it's been a good saw. The only problem I have with it is the oiler, it never stops. If you forget to store it on the side, or drain the oil, it will all run out.

Edwards Equipment in Danville is exactly that! Great people, and they back what they sell. They`re Stihl folks.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Don't heat with wood but got 2 Stihls I use around the homestead, a 041 Farm Boss with 20" bar and a 009 with 14" bar. The 041 has had some tweaks done to it and runs like a scalded dog. Bad thing is it weighs a ton and will flat wear you out running it. Use the 009 about 95% of the time but even it is more saw than I need most of the time. Since I screwed up my back I've been thinking about getting something even smaller and lighter simply to save the wear and tear on the ol body.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I have my late Fathers Echo 452 and 650evl. The 650 took a hard break last weekend. The left side case is cracked so bad I cannot mend it. These are probably 30-35 year old saws. I didn't realize how much a new saws costs.

If anyone knows of an used Echo parts source please let me know. I've been scrounging ebay and used parts sources with no luck.

Thanks.
    :ingo:

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I have my late Fathers Echo 452 and 650evl. The 650 took a hard break last weekend. The left side case is cracked so bad I cannot mend it. These are probably 30-35 year old saws. I didn't realize how much a new saws costs.

If anyone knows of an used Echo parts source please let me know. I've been scrounging ebay and used parts sources with no luck.

Thanks.
    :ingo:

Might find someone that sells Echo and put your name in. Maybe if the take one in on trade they will call you, it's a long shot but who knows.

Try

Dannemiller True Value / Dannemiller Hardware

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Might find someone that sells Echo and put your name in. Maybe if the take one in on trade they will call you, it's a long shot but who knows.

Try

There are plenty of arborist sites that you can join and put feelers out. As many of those saws were made I am sure other folks have parts or know of. Good luck.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Try

There are plenty of arborist sites that you can join and put feelers out. As many of those saws were made I am sure other folks have parts or know of. Good luck.

Called Dannemiller... no luck.

Had to do some real scrounging... Found the part number, then goog'fu'd and a seller had new/old stock listed by 'part number' on ebay, not the saw or model number. Go figure. Anyway, part found, bought. Dads old saw will run again.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    I bought a Stihl MS250 about a year ago to take town a 50 foot tree on my property and clear dirt bike trails. I am very happy with it.

Top Bottom