Anybody burn wood, what chainsaw do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I too have an outdoor boiler, so I cut A LOT of wood. Husky 359 with a woods port, gutted muffler, and 18" bar is my weapon of choice.

You guys are seriously tempting me to do a make over on my saw.

I ran 2 cycle powered Go-Karts as a kid and dirt bikes. I must resist.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Give in. It's OK.:yesway:

My tweaked 359, with 59cc, will outcut a stock Husky 372 and weighs a pound and a half less.

But if you really want a beast, get that 372 ported. My little brother just had one built and it's incredible.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My tweaked 359, with 59cc, will outcut a stock Husky 372 and weighs a pound and a half less.

But if you really want a beast, get that 372 ported. My little brother just had one built and it's incredible.

The Re-man is over bored. I have the ability to do my own porting. A decent pipe. Looking at the muffler this morning.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    echo 520 with 20" and 16" bars. Mainly use the 20 and it's like a hot knife through butter. My only complaint was from the few times I've needed longer than a 20" bar.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hmmm... the 1st is obvious... but I'm a bit unclear of the other, what other "orange" brand are you referring to?
    Husqvarnas are orange, as are Stihl.

Speaking of colors. Dont even THINK about buying the white Stihl gear. They brought out "consumer grade" gear a while back in all white plastic instead of the white/orange. Price point on par with big box store stuff, just a little higher.

Everyone I know that bought them says they are crap. Not sure who actually makes the gear, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was the same factories putting out the crap the likes of Troy Bilt, etc.

My neighbor across the street fell for it and bought a string trimmer. Worked for one season, then wouldnt start. At the end of the first season she was already having trouble starting it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yup. Camerachimp is on it.

Only Stihl, or Husky. I prefer Stihl, but only because I've been running them for 20 years. Husquvarna makes a fine saw.

On Stihl, he is again correct. Buy nothing below the "Farm" grade saws. NO "homeowner" series.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm debating the same thing. I am currently leaning towards Echo because of my experience with my dad's saw, I know its at least as old as I am and cuts about 15 truckloads per year. Still runs like new.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Husqvarnas are orange, as are Stihl.

Speaking of colors. Dont even THINK about buying the white Stihl gear. They brought out "consumer grade" gear a while back in all white plastic instead of the white/orange. Price point on par with big box store stuff, just a little higher.

Everyone I know that bought them says they are crap. Not sure who actually makes the gear, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was the same factories putting out the crap the likes of Troy Bilt, etc.

My neighbor across the street fell for it and bought a string trimmer. Worked for one season, then wouldnt start. At the end of the first season she was already having trouble starting it.

If the reddish-orange of husqy can be called "orange" then certainly the orangish-red of Dolmar is also orange; afterall, it's a spectrum, orange doesn't stop at 1 specific spot...

Yup. Camerachimp is on it.

Only Stihl, or Husky. I prefer Stihl, but only because I've been running them for 20 years. Husquvarna makes a fine saw.

On Stihl, he is again correct. Buy nothing below the "Farm" grade saws. NO "homeowner" series.
    I'm curious why you don't include Dolmar as a good saw-maker? They are really only well-known within the ranks of true professional wood-cutters/fellers, and many in the Midwest haven't even heard of them because of their lack of a dealer presence here, but that doesn't make their product inferior. You won't get a better bang-for-the-buck professional saw than the Dolmar's (especially those used rentals wearing Makita clothing)... Arboristsite is where I first learned of them and I've got to say, I don't regret my Dolmar (Dolkita) one bit, best chainsaw money I ever spent; I would have easily spent 3-4X to get a used Stihl of similar size (64 cc).

Lastly, "meh" to your comment of "nothing homeowner series". I've been cutting enough wood to heat my home for a decade now, I started out with a MS170 that I muffler modded, carb-modded, and put a 6-pin rim sprocket on. I cut 30 cords with that saw before I even got a 2nd saw for the big stuff. I've never had to do anything to it and to this day it's still my absolute favorite saw. I can cut all day without wearing out. The smaller chain kerf compensates nicely for the smaller hp. I once ran head-to-head with a MS460 limbing and bucking 2 identical trees and I ran circles around him. Why? Because in the process of limbing the tree out (most of the work in cutting trees or cutting wood from tree-tops) I could more quickly maneuver my short, light saw, and the power didn't make a difference until we got to 6-8" stuff. We both finished our trees up within a minute of one another, and I was much less exhausted than he was. I burned less fuel, and I only had $110 invested in my chainsaw, he had nearly $1000. The whole "clamshell engine" thing is a bunch of BS; you can just as easily rebuild a clamshell, if the need ever arises, but if you take care of your saws you shouldn't ever need to. MOST saw failures happen due to neglect and abuse. That hasn't been an issue for me.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The Dolmars don't get mentioned because they are predominantly large felling saws and not suited to average homeowner use, which as you point out is usually best served by a smaller lighter saw. From what I understand they are well built professional machines.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Ive owned my Dolmar for years. It's muffer, intake box, timing, carb modded. I'd put it up against any other brand.
    It's the old all orange model.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm curious why you don't include Dolmar as a good saw-maker? ...their lack of a dealer presence here, but that doesn't make their product inferior.

Lastly, "meh" to your comment of "nothing homeowner series". I've been cutting enough wood to heat my home for a decade now, I started out with a MS170 that I muffler modded, carb-modded, and put a 6-pin rim sprocket on. I cut 30 cords with that saw before I even got a 2nd saw for the big stuff. I've never had to do anything to it and to this day it's still my absolute favorite saw. I can cut all day without wearing out. The smaller chain kerf compensates nicely for the smaller hp. I once ran head-to-head with a MS460 limbing and bucking 2 identical trees and I ran circles around him. Why? Because in the process of limbing the tree out (most of the work in cutting trees or cutting wood from tree-tops) I could more quickly maneuver my short, light saw, and the power didn't make a difference until we got to 6-8" stuff. We both finished our trees up within a minute of one another, and I was much less exhausted than he was. I burned less fuel, and I only had $110 invested in my chainsaw, he had nearly $1000. The whole "clamshell engine" thing is a bunch of BS; you can just as easily rebuild a clamshell, if the need ever arises, but if you take care of your saws you shouldn't ever need to. MOST saw failures happen due to neglect and abuse. That hasn't been an issue for me.

For the first, you answered your own question. I want to be able to get parts within 1 hour at most, all the way to pistons and rings, and I want parts to be available for no less than 20 years (my oldest saw is 21).

About the homeowner saw deal. I've run:

MS192TC
    MS210 Dead
    MS250 Dead
    038 Magnum
    MS211CBE
    MS241 CM
    MS261 CM
    ....and an HT103. That I can think of. There may have been another couple at the State Park. Rebuilt that DNR 044 from the piston bearings up.

3 different Husky saws as well. Can't remember the models.

In NO way are the Stihl homeowner series saws of current production the equal of the mid-grade "Farm" saws, much less the Pro Saws. I cut a lot. A lot a lot...not quite professional, but enough days a year to matter. ALUMINUM chain stops, aluminum cases, improved vibration reduction, higher horsepower-to-weight ratios, and a host of other "little" things are what you find on a better saw than a 170/210/250.

There's a lot of plastic on saws these days, and I am appreciative because it lowers the weight, but there are areas where it doesn't belong. Chain stops and bar adjustments do not belong being made of plastic.

But hey, that 250 was a fine saw. High rpm, threw chips like hell, good fuel economy, easy to live with....but it died in 4 years. That's not due to misuse or abuse. And that flat-out is not good enough when you have an 029 that is over 2 decades old and still in regular use.

I'm not saying everybody needs a really nice saw, or even that I do, and I'm certainly not saying I want to PAY for their nicest saws either. But if a guy thinks the cheap saws are equal to the expensive ones, he's dreaming of rainbows and unicorns.

-Nate

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Stihl. Buy once, cry once.

CSB:
    I have my late father's 028HV. It is so old that the bar says "made in WEST Germany". 25 years ago he finished with it and put it in the case. No prep as he didnt expect it to be the last time. He never used it again. Fast forward 20 years. I found it in the barn, put fuel and bar oil in it, and 3 pulls later she roared to life. Crazy.

They are cutting machines. You cant go wrong.

I wanna see pics...

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.

I just have a base gasket delete and muffler mod on my 359, which made a marked improvement over stock.

Here's my Husqvarna 3125xp with 60 inch bar.

Nice! I've been wanting to get a 3120 to use for milling work. I currently use my Homelite 750 but hate using it too much due to parts availability and cost.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For the first, you answered your own question. I want to be able to get parts within 1 hour at most, all the way to pistons and rings, and I want parts to be available for no less than 20 years (my oldest saw is 21).
    Have you even checked where your nearest dealer is? My dad has one 5 minutes from his house in NE Indiana, and I have one within 40 minutes... There isn't one on every corner like Stihl, but they're still there.

For a pro, or "nearly pro" I can see not waiting on parts, gotta get the saw going again asap. But for the OP I don't think that's a priority. However, if he can't do his own work then he most definitely needs a servicing dealer nearby.

In NO way are the Stihl homeowner series saws of current production the equal of the mid-grade "Farm" saws, much less the Pro Saws. I cut a lot. A lot a lot...not quite professional, but enough days a year to matter. ALUMINUM chain stops, aluminum cases, improved vibration reduction, higher horsepower-to-weight ratios, and a host of other "little" things are what you find on a better saw than a 170/210/250.
    I wasn't saying that they were, I'm simply making the case that they're adequate, and sometimes actually preferred for "firewood cutters".

But hey, that 250 was a fine saw. High rpm, threw chips like hell, good fuel economy, easy to live with....but it died in 4 years. That's not due to misuse or abuse. And that flat-out is not good enough when you have an 029 that is over 2 decades old and still in regular use.
    What died on it? The 250 used to have notorious coil problems, and Stihl changed the design and the old coil was NA and the new one couldn't be retrofitted. That's about the only thing I can imagine that would absolutely dead-line a Stihl.

I'm not saying everybody needs a really nice saw, or even that I do, and I'm certainly not saying I want to PAY for their nicest saws either. But if a guy thinks the cheap saws are equal to the expensive ones, he's dreaming of rainbows and unicorns.

-Nate
    This is pretty much the point I'm making. Not everybody NEEDS a pro saw.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)

When you give up resisting and get those modifications done let us know. We lost a few large trees across some of our lanes in the last series of storms. IndyJohn has our chains sharpened and ready to go, you are welcome to come out and knock the dust off yours. LOL, it's work but it sure is fun!

Top Bottom