• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    It is on my list. Might do it in October instead of Moab, thanks to gas prices
    If you haven't been to Moab, it's beautiful. I've Jeeped there three times. So much to see out West and a lot of free land for dispersed camping. I have plans to explore a lot more of Utah. If you aren't familiar with Funtreks, they have great trail books for many states. I just noticed they have a nice website with the trails listed.

https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/
    Maybe there's a similar trail resource to be found for the subject trails?

I did look at the KAT online and wasn't aware of it. Looks like it's broken up into sections and one that fits your vechicle and difficulty level could be chosen. It's definitely much closer so it's on my radar for the Van.

Edit...Well I just saw there may not be maps for the KAT according to this website but there are GPX files to download if you have something for that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I knew what I'd get. :D

Just glad a few folks knew what was up.
    Oh, believe me it was hard to resist not going juvenile :): But you were seeking legit information about the topic, so I resisted joining in. Kudos to those who gave you some input on what you were actually looking for. I have no experience with those two trail rides, so I thought it best to just leave it alone. I'll refrain from commenting on my experience in the brush with the other. ;)

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've done much of the western section of the KAT in my Jeep Gladiator. Some narrow spots, but you could squeeze a full-size through. Some pinstriping may occur.

I've been trying to find time to run the parts east of I-75. There are some MUCH narrower sections there.

I've seen pics and videos of several full-size trucks and SUVs making the trip. It can be done. Good tires, maybe a winch, travel with friends, and suck in your gut.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hmm...until just now reading this post I haven't even thought about where I will take my Cherokee XJ once I'm done with it. And I haven't given any thought to having recovery points on the Jeep since I hadn't planned on anything more than forest service roads or maybe a 2-track here and there.

Something like these could be fun if they are not too far a trek just to get there. I may have to rethink my plan for mine. The body is already scratched and dinged up so if I leave it be and forgo the high dollar paint job, I wouldn't have to worry about some scrapes occasionally.

What would be essential to casually go off-road? Would factory tow hooks suffice for the front? Winch necessary? What about recovery points for the rear? Should I jump on the Jeep forum and start asking about all this?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've seen pics and videos of several full-size trucks and SUVs making the trip. It can be done. Good tires, maybe a winch, travel with friends, and suck in your gut.

I don't have any friends in to outdoorsy things that don't involve hunting, and certainly none who will take a vehicle off road through anything other than a farm pasture. I would be solo.

I foolishly test drove an F-150 Raptor today. I know it's too wide for a lot of the trails, but holy crap do I see the appeal in driving one. It was quite a bit of fun and very comfortable. Just. So. Big.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I don't have any friends in to outdoorsy things that don't involve hunting, and certainly none who will take a vehicle off road through anything other than a farm pasture. I would be solo.

I foolishly test drove an F-150 Raptor today. I know it's too wide for a lot of the trails, but holy crap do I see the appeal in driving one. It was quite a bit of fun and very comfortable. Just. So. Big.

Oh come on.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Raptor Bronco is your answer...maybe?

Top Bottom