• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't have any friends in to outdoorsy things that don't involve hunting, and certainly none who will take a vehicle off road through anything other than a farm pasture. I would be solo.

I foolishly test drove an F-150 Raptor today. I know it's too wide for a lot of the trails, but holy crap do I see the appeal in driving one. It was quite a bit of fun and very comfortable. Just. So. Big.
    I went alone last time. Ended up winching myself out of a tough spot, in the rain. Pretty dumb of me. A second vehicle would have made it no big deal. IMHO: solo is a ton of fun, but does increase risk notably.

I guess "internet friends" don't count. ;)

Take the Raptor up to Silver Lake. That would be a blast.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm curious if a full size truck is capable of doing the Kentucky Adventure Trail and the Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail or if I need to wait until I buy a midsize. I've seen some videos online but they are all in Jeeps or they are older. They refer me to Facebook for up to date info, but I am not bothering with Facebook.

Conversely, would these two "trails" be boring on a dual sport? I don't get mine out enough anymore.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I don't have any friends in to outdoorsy things that don't involve hunting, and certainly none who will take a vehicle off road through anything other than a farm pasture. I would be solo.

I foolishly test drove an F-150 Raptor today. I know it's too wide for a lot of the trails, but holy crap do I see the appeal in driving one. It was quite a bit of fun and very comfortable. Just. So. Big.
    I bought the four-door Wrangler Unlimited when it first came out and I didn't think it was that big as a daily driver but then when I started off-roading it was pretty much the biggest thing out there! Scared the dejeezus out of the group I was with, they got pics of me coming off a rock wall and all that canvas roof looks like a stretch limo standing on it's nose! But it wasn't cumbersome and felt quite stable in spite of it's size so I was hooked. Of course mods make a big difference in capabilities but even stock that's what a Wrangler is, you just have to know what your rig can do. Nowadays I joke when I take new Jeep owners off-road I tell them in the parking lot to go ahead and key their own Jeep right now to get it over with or they're not going to have any fun at all worrying about the first trail rash they will inevitably put on it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    If you haven't been to Moab, it's beautiful. I've Jeeped there three times. So much to see out West and a lot of free land for dispersed camping. I have plans to explore a lot more of Utah. If you aren't familiar with Funtreks, they have great trail books for many states. I just noticed they have a nice website with the trails listed.

https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/
    Maybe there's a similar trail resource to be found for the subject trails?

I did look at the KAT online and wasn't aware of it. Looks like it's broken up into sections and one that fits your vechicle and difficulty level could be chosen. It's definitely much closer so it's on my radar for the Van.

Edit...Well I just saw there may not be maps for the KAT according to this website but there are GPX files to download if you have something for that.

Yep, I've been three times. We absolutely love it.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I’m not a trial person per-say ,but I do prefer the twat . :dunno: :joke: :rockwoot:

This thread wasn’t what I was expecting so just had to add my :twocents:

And I don’t believe I used one pronoun . :bacondance:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I test drove an F-150 Raptor. It would have been an easier sell if he hadn't let me park it. I nearly needed a ground guide and only the 360 camera system let me get it in there the second go (giggity).

It's a fun truck on the highway and I'm sure it's fun off road, but you've got to balance that against how absolutely annoying it is tighter city streets and in parking lots. It is a chunky, chunky boy.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I test drove an F-150 Raptor. It would have been an easier sell if he hadn't let me park it. I nearly needed a ground guide and only the 360 camera system let me get it in there the second go (giggity).

It's a fun truck on the highway and I'm sure it's fun off road, but you've got to balance that against how absolutely annoying it is tighter city streets and in parking lots. It is a chunky, chunky boy.
    You’ll get used to it. If I can parallel park my kenworth flatbed you can definitely park that bad boy, it just takes a little getting used to the size.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am surprised none of you mentioned a Peterbilt......like this one from BangShift. Can't make this up.....

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

So, to answer your original question there’s a ton of info here…
    Not sure how active the forum is now, it was no INGO but it was pretty good.

FB really is where the state groups and individuals are active at, just make a fake account if you can, the info can certainly be worth it. There is constant chatter on trying to get trips together.

My Tundra is pretty phaat sitting on 4” lift with 35’s on 10x20’s with a +25 offset, looks a lot like the raptors. Or, the raptors look a lot like mine!
    A lot of fun to drive and coming from a crew cab 8’ bed it’s a breeze to get around in, relatively.
    I’ve had it on some pretty narrow trails in MI and CO.

Top Bottom