• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am surprised none of you mentioned a Peterbilt......like this one from BangShift. Can't make this up.....

There is a place just north of me on old 37 that builds these types of trucks. Personally they are cool, but I don't get it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    YOU CAN DO IIIIITTTTT!!!!

I mean, other than places you literally can't fit without a chainsaw and/or blasting equipment. I just watched a dude do some trail out in CA that the tires of his Gladiator squeaked on both sides of the canyon walls...

Not that I'm ever likely to get that far west with whatever I get, but it is a limiting factor in some trails.

C'mon Ford, launch the Ranger Raptor in the US already...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I mean, other than places you literally can't fit without a chainsaw and/or blasting equipment. I just watched a dude do some trail out in CA that the tires of his Gladiator squeaked on both sides of the canyon walls...

Not that I'm ever likely to get that far west with whatever I get, but it is a limiting factor in some trails.

C'mon Ford, launch the Ranger Raptor in the US already...
    I can see the benefit to the added width for stability, and let’s be honest, the raptor was designed more for Baja type off roading than tight trails. If that’s the goal I’d rather build an old jeep, at least then I wouldn’t be worried about bending it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can see the benefit to the added width for stability, and let’s be honest, the raptor was designed more for Baja type off roading than tight trails. If that’s the goal I’d rather build an old jeep, at least then I wouldn’t be worried about bending it.

I need something that will drive to the trail and do the trail. No way I'm driving an old Jeep to Big Bend or Moab. The Gladiator is on the low end of my highway driving experience expectations already. You see the conundrum. A midsize truck will probably be best for me. New Colorado ZR2 is supposed to launch soon, and I'm not in a big hurry. Sometime next year is fine, I'm giving my current truck to my son at that point.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I need something that will drive to the trail and do the trail. No way I'm driving an old Jeep to Big Bend or Moab. The Gladiator is on the low end of my highway driving experience expectations already. You see the conundrum. A midsize truck will probably be best for me. New Colorado ZR2 is supposed to launch soon, and I'm not in a big hurry. Sometime next year is fine, I'm giving my current truck to my son at that point.
    Ok, with that consideration I can understand wanting something more reliable. Is the Bronco raptor built off the F-150 frame or is it narrower than the F-150 Raptor?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ok, with that consideration I can understand wanting something more reliable. Is the Bronco raptor built off the F-150 frame or is it narrower than the F-150 Raptor?

It's built on the Ranger platform, so it should be somewhat narrower.

The Bronco Raptor is basically unobtainium anyway. I think a Sasquatch package Bronco would fit my needs just fine, other than not being a truck, if you could actually get one. I'm just not sure I want to go the SUV route and lose the utility of the truck bed. I have no interest in messing with a trailer.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    It's built on the Ranger platform, so it should be somewhat narrower.

The Bronco Raptor is basically unobtainium anyway. I think a Sasquatch package Bronco would fit my needs just fine, other than not being a truck, if you could actually get one. I'm just not sure I want to go the SUV route and lose the utility of the truck bed. I have no interest in messing with a trailer.
    Sounds like a decision has been made here. You know you want it, you know it’s going to be a beast on the streets and a blast on the trails…. Sure there’s some minor inconvenience but what major decision doesn’t require a little give and take?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sounds like a decision has been made here. You know you want it, you know it’s going to be a beast on the streets and a blast on the trails…. Sure there’s some minor inconvenience but what major decision doesn’t require a little give and take?

No, nothing firm decided. Current contenders:

Ram 1500 Back Country (no camera system available, otherwise checks all the boxes if a full size will work)
    Ram 1500 Rebel (Gets pricey)
    Ford F150 Tremor (Gets pricey)
    Ford F150 Raptor (Would have to buy used to stay in budget, not super wench friendly, takes premium fuel for full Raptor-ness)
    Jeep Gladiator Mojave
    Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Jeep pros: Relatively inexpensive to buy and to modify, easily takes a wench
    Jeep cons: Faster than walking, but not by a lot. :D, relatively low range on a single tank of fuel

I like the 500+ mile range on the Ram and F-150. Highway ride quality is best on the Ram. Honestly, the Raptor doesn't feel that much quicker than my hemi equipped Ram. Weight and gearing play a role. I'm sure the Raptor *is* faster, just not holy crap faster (faster meaning acceleration). I didn't try "sport mode" in the Raptor, but it takes a second for the turbos to spool and the tranny to down shift. The hemi just grabs a gear and goes.

Potential 2023 contenders:
    Colorado ZR2

Ranger Raptor if they ever release the damn thing.

Bronco Wilktrak if you can actually buy the thing and I decide an SUV is acceptable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I test drove an F-150 Tremor today. Nothing decided, but I liked it quite a bit and it may suit my needs better than the Raptor. It's plenty quick, rides pretty well, and doesn't feel quite as much like a dump truck when trying to park or manuever in tighter spaces. Plus I can order one and get it brand new for less than I'd pay for the certified used Raptor with similar options.

The one decision that is final is no Ram Rebel G/T. Pretties it up, but so many mandatory options that make it worse for off road, including the worst transfer case Ram has to offer. Who the EFF decided it was a good idea to put a clutch driven transfer case that can overheat in an off road truck? Duh.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    The desire for the aesthetic and functional upgrades of the Tremor vs a lifted Lariat or XLT.
    If you think you'd ever want to do more than an easy/moderate trail, a Jeep or Gladiator will have a lower center of gravity and most importantly, the solid axle/articulation needed for the obstacles. Gearing and an all terrain tire like the KO2 that is standard on the Jeep Rubicons now makes travel more maneagable. At some point you'll want to see the trails out West.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    These double cab trucks would have been totally unmanagable on midwest trails decades ago when I was offroading. Breakover and rear overhang are brutal on the Gladiator. If you really want to do trails in the midwest shorter wheelbase, narrower, and minimal rear overhang will be much more pleasant, get you further, and do far less damage to your vehicle. There is a great example in the classifieds here posted yesterday.
    Myself I find much better utility in owning a trailer for chores and a less than fullsize SUV for offroad use.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you think you'd ever want to do more than an easy/moderate trail, a Jeep or Gladiator will have a lower center of gravity and most importantly, the solid axle/articulation needed for the obstacles. Gearing and an all terrain tire like the KO2 that is standard on the Jeep Rubicons now makes travel more maneagable. At some point you'll want to see the trails out West.

Agreed. But you've got to drive it out there if you aren't going to trailer it. I hated the Wrangler on the road and, frankly, I've just always had a truck and can't see not having something available to me with an open bed. I have be able to envision spending 16 hours highway driving in it like I do my Ram with ease, and the Wrangler is not that. If I was going to do an SUV, it would be the Bronco *IF* you could get one. The mannequin I drove was so much better for me than a Wrangler. Ford nailed those seats, it was so comfortable.

The Gladiator was in the middle, the Mojave wasn't terrible to drive, but damn was it slow. It'd be fun off road but boring as hell on the road and the ability to remove the roof and doors is wasted on me. Side impact crash results aren't great, either.

I get the compromises, I'm asking one vehicle to be a road trip vehicle, utility vehicle, and off roader. I've been watching a lot of footage of various vehicles on different trails. I know I can't do everything with one truck, and there's things I'll have to rent a side by side or Jeep to see but I'll be able to do a lot more with my own stuff now as well.

If the salesman calls me back and blows my socks off with a price on the certified Raptor, I may still go that way, but if not I'm pretty set on the Tremor. I'd be more likely to stick with RAM if the G/T Rebel let me option it the way I want, but even then the Ford has the Torsen front locking axle, trail turn assist, and honestly just feels more updated and modern. RAM needs a midcycle refresh.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    These double cab trucks would have been totally unmanagable on midwest trails decades ago when I was offroading. Breakover and rear overhang are brutal on the Gladiator. If you really want to do trails in the midwest shorter wheelbase, narrower, and minimal rear overhang will be much more pleasant, get you further, and do far less damage to your vehicle. There is a great example in the classifieds here posted yesterday.
    Myself I find much better utility in owning a trailer for chores and a less than fullsize SUV for offroad use.

The LC? Yeah, but no way in hell I'm driving that thing to TX or AZ from Indy.

I've been watching a dude in a Power Wagon do sections of the KAT, and that's a giant ass truck. I'm sure he bypasses things, but I will to. I'm not in to offroading just for the offroading part, I mostly want to see features and views I couldn't otherwise see. I'm not real concerned with doing the hardest trail to get there, not taking a bypass, etc.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm seeing in the Jeep XJ world guys modifying the crap out of their vehicles and taking them in some extreme rock gardens and mud holes, deep water stream crossings, etc.

I also see guys doing extreme mods and not doing any of those things.

I'm betting a Tremor will do what you want it to do without giving up on road drivability and/or dependability. If you find the truck wanting later on because you decide you want to go more extreme, then get something else.

I will not build a highly modified XJ that spends 90%+ of it's time on the roads. I will build mine to handle the obstacles I plan on putting in front of it.

Sounds like you are looking for a similar experience.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The desire for the aesthetic and functional upgrades of the Tremor vs a lifted Lariat or XLT.
    I understand the aesthetic side of things they both do look great. I see you did talk about the front diff and turn assist. I wasn't sure how much you knew about the tremor or just with the majority of people who see a package and say that has to be better without knowing what you actually get.

Top Bottom