• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    If I had built several P80s, they might have been 2 G19 and 1 G26.
    And if I had built them, they might have been more accurate than the OEM versions that I might have.
    And if I had built them, they might have at least 500 rounds through each one with no issues at all.
    I might have, also, built 3 P80 ar-15 lowers (polymer) and 2 ar10 (aluminum) lowers that have functioned flawlessly.
    But this is just all conjecture, just wishful thinking on my part.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have just finished a g19, using an aftermarket slide and p80 kit. The grip is lovely, but something is gritting between the rails and the slide. when I pick it up it is pretty smooth, but once I cycle it a few times, it grits up terribly. I am using new motor oil to lubricate, and I am worried that if i take it to the range in the current condition it might detonate. Does anyone have experience with this sort of malfunction?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have just finished a g19, using an aftermarket slide and p80 kit. The grip is lovely, but something is gritting between the rails and the slide. when I pick it up it is pretty smooth, but once I cycle it a few times, it grits up terribly. I am using new motor oil to lubricate, and I am worried that if i take it to the range in the current condition it might detonate. Does anyone have experience with this sort of malfunction?
    Not sure you can say there's a malfunction if you haven't shot it. Grits up terribly isn't really a malfunction. Not sure how to even address that. Most of these builds start out being a little gritty feeling but smooth out with shooting them. I take 2000 grit sandpaper to the rails of mine and polish them. Another reason why people have rough feeling slide movement or RTB issues is because they don't take off enough material in the guide rod channel. Best thing is to shoot it. Start by loading one round and see if it extracts and ejects the case and locks back. If it does then load 2 rounds and repeat

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Not sure you can say there's a malfunction if you haven't shot it. Grits up terribly isn't really a malfunction. Not sure how to even address that. Most of these builds start out being a little gritty feeling but smooth out with shooting them. I take 2000 grit sandpaper to the rails of mine and polish them. Another reason why people have rough feeling slide movement or RTB issues is because they don't take off enough material in the guide rod channel. Best thing is to shoot it. Start by loading one round and see if it extracts and ejects the case and locks back. If it does then load 2 rounds and repeat
    Will do that. When it grits up after the first few cycles I cannot physically rack it, so I will have to pick it up, chamber a round, and force it back into battery. Will try that on the range on Monday and see if I can do that. Will update at that point. Thanks

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    I have never had that problem. I think NyleRN might be right that something is rubbing in the recoil rod/spring. but also it should break in ok. I think the load one round and go bang is the right path! Good luck brother!

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Took the P80 out to the range. First shots all had a failure to feed or failure to eject. After a few rounds of the cheap Russian tula steel case, it started to run better. It could reliably feed 10 rounds from a pmag, and locked open at the end. My friend was using ZQI steel case, and while it seemed nicer, it wouldn't function at all. The tula was 115 gr, and the zqi was 124, but I don't know what would have been the actual cause of the malfunctions. signal-2022-03-02-111320.jpeg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Took the P80 out to the range. First shots all had a failure to feed or failure to eject. After a few rounds of the cheap Russian tula steel case, it started to run better. It could reliably feed 10 rounds from a pmag, and locked open at the end. My friend was using ZQI steel case, and while it seemed nicer, it wouldn't function at all. The tula was 115 gr, and the zqi was 124, but I don't know what would have been the actual cause of the malfunctions. View attachment 185206
    What ejector are you using? Is it a Glock gen 3 OEM part, or after market?

The OEM gen 3 ejectors are know to suck.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The extractor was whatever aftermarket solution came with the Alpha Wolf slide I bought a few years ago, and seems flawless. The ejector is P80, and might not be getting hit hard enough to let the case vacate, or the slide doesn't come back far enough to pick up the next slide cleanly. I might buy new glock mags, but since the gun will now run happily with tula, I don't see a reason to feed the gun fancy stuff.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    This is my humble opinion. Put OEM glocks parts in it. Upper and lower. Use OE glock mags and good ammo. By good ammo just brass range ammo that's not WWB.

Rafterman

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought a complete P80 PFS9 pistol (Glock 17) size. Won it for $350 auction. It is serialized. I polished the feed ramp, all frame rails, locking block. Put a bit of Slide Glide here and there also. Changed out the disconnector. The slide action and lock up is very smooth. The trigger has a smooth take up to the wall then a crisp break and a nice short reset. Shot 240 rounds with no stoppages. I love the pistol. Not saying better than a Glock but I no complaints.

Again, not a kit, it was a complete pistol by P80. YMMV
    Good Luck!!!

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Took the P80 out to the range. First shots all had a failure to feed or failure to eject. After a few rounds of the cheap Russian tula steel case, it started to run better. It could reliably feed 10 rounds from a pmag, and locked open at the end. My friend was using ZQI steel case, and while it seemed nicer, it wouldn't function at all. The tula was 115 gr, and the zqi was 124, but I don't know what would have been the actual cause of the malfunctions. View attachment 185206
    I had the same issue with my 80%. Get some snap caps and load them into your mags and just keep racking your slide like you would at the range if you were loading your gun. This will help “break it in”. Make sure to oil your gun heavily.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    With all my P-80 builds, that I listed above, it took several mags to "fully" breaking.
    But once the slides break in, everything is smooth and nice.
    My factory 26 has a very tight slide, like most 26s do, I have been told.
    But my P-80 26 is as smooth as silk and nowhere as tight, hard to cycle, as the factory.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I had the same issue with my 80%. Get some snap caps and load them into your mags and just keep racking your slide like you would at the range if you were loading your gun. This will help “break it in”. Make sure to oil your gun heavily.
    Don't Glocks ship from the factory with a little dot of grey polishing compound on the frame rails so they'll do the final wearing in over the first hundred rounds or so? Wonder if dotting the rails with a bit of compound and running the slide about a hundred times before cleaning it back off would do the job.

Top Bottom