• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    What is going on with this company. My buddy at work had a problem getting a scope sent to our work address and now I can't even get them to hold a package at a Fedex hold location. I gave them a location to hold it at and they said they would wave the $15 fee, who charges that in the first place. Then they called me back to ask if I would let them hold it at another spot 9 miles away, I said sure. Now this morning I see it is being held 30 miles away and won't be there till Friday. Calling them this morning to just tell them to keep it and I will spent the extra $40 at basspro and just pick it up today. I have heard about bad customer service but creed got in the way and I couldn't help but order from them. Meh, never again.

It helps if you have your own fedex account and set your own holds. To do that you HAVE to have it shipped to your residence (the fedex/ups/usps accounts link to your home only) then once it has shipped hop onto fedex or ups and do your own shipping magic through your own account. For the shipper to do it, it can be a real hassle and sometimes not possible depending on where the box is and where you're wanting it to be. Changing deliveries midstream also delays at least 1 day, I've had ups delay a week or more because they generally don't have a route getting the box from where it was supposed to deliver from to a ups store location easier for me to get to without leaving it on my porch for a day. I don't think optics planet is your problem as much as trying to change an enroute delivery. Sometimes it adds to the shipping cost and you can't expect them to eat that fee.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Never had a problem with them over the years. They have had holsters in stock that Midway had on backorder for months.
    CTD will never see my $$
    LA police gear screwed me over on an item while I was in Iraq and they can kiss my ass. It may not have been personal on their part but the lack of give a damn by CS made an impression

Bob

CENTURIATOR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2018
    Saint Louis
    No idea what you guys are talking about. I've ordered dozens of things from them, get fantastic prices and get what I order. Best prices are available via their online chat.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've only ordered from them through Amazon for several years. No issues that way, and if there were I know Amazon has backed me the few times I've had an issue with something I bought through them, even if not from them.

I last ordered from them about 5 months ago, and for a total of about 6 years now. Everything has always been perfect with them, sorry to hear of these recent problems and that will raise my guard in the future although at this point I have no intent to ban myself from them.

I have spent thousands there over the last 7 years and have a great relationship with them. Flawless and great CS. They were one of the first to integrate the new logistics which is now an industry standard. The one return that I had to do (my fault) they credited my account before they even got the item back. Not sure why a few have problems but would suggest they should just buy from storefronts?

Never had any problems in the few times I've ordered from Optics Planet , in fact just had a Vortex Venom arrive from them a few days ago.

This is unfortunate to see. I too have ordered from them many times but the last time has been more than a year ago.

Rifle Optics and stuff our crowd likes is not their bread n butter, I don't know if that is a factor or not.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I order a display Aimpoint from their website, like other mention in reality was out of stock but they held my $600.00 for week. When I told them just sell me a regular item for the sale price since you lied about been in stock they said absolutely no, horrible experience will never buy from them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I order a display Aimpoint from their website, like other mention in reality was out of stock but they held my $600.00 for week. When I told them just sell me a regular item for the sale price since you lied about been in stock they said absolutely no, horrible experience will never buy from them.

Basically my experience Xs 2.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Have ordered from them 3 times, twice were horrible experiences. One of those was through Amazon and Amazon didn't help. Ordered Grey laminate grips for a Victory 22. Took forever and received Yellow grips that looked like crap. Called support, emailed support, contacted Amazon and still took forever to get my money back. Amazon said they would be able to send me the right grips while I held onto the wrong ones and when I got them I could send the wrong ones back. OP said nope, won't do that. I told them to issue a refund and they kept screwing with that, trying to charge me a restock fee and all kinds of BS. Took a month to get them to finally refund the full amount. Never ever again. There are way too many other places that offer similar prices that don't play stupid games like that. Never once during this entire fiasco did they apologize for sending me the wrong product. F OP... :xmad:

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    I have used them twice not so recently but both were good experiences. Maybe something has changed or I just had good luck. I will definitely think twice about using them from now on.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I have used them twice not so recently but both were good experiences. Maybe something has changed or I just had good luck. I will definitely think twice about using them from now on.

I think you just had good luck. I've heard these horror stories for the last decade. It's been at least that long since I ordered from them and had my problems.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    InI'mn my experience, they are much like Botach. Problems with their website stock count and difficulty in getting your money back. I will never Buy from them again.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Always one of the first places I "go" when shopping for something.
    Never had an issue with dozens of purchases.
    I did experience the out of stock thing. Was offered a better scope at $200.00 less than available anywhere else. Score.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I put it this way, for those who have never had a bad experience, you're lucky. Yeah, you might have a good experience dealing with them, but obviously they have screwed over others. Sure, any vendor can have the occasional screw up, but OP seems to have done so time and again for many people. If you're comfortable taking a chance and rolling the dice every time you order from them, that's fine. Myself, I'd rather spend money with vendors who are more reputable.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So just a little update. My buddy at work ordered from them a couple months ago and he wanted the package shipped to our work address. He said they made a small charge on his credit card and he had to verify the amount in order to use that address which was different from his credit card mailing address. I am not sure about all of that since it was his deal and not mine but he is not a liar either so. As far as mine I have mixed feelings but very unlikely that I would order from again. I placed my order for a red dot with 2 day free express shipping. I ordered on Sunday. I got an email from Fedex saying Wed, then got another email saying Thurs, not a big deal. I logged onto the Fedex app and tried to switch my order to be held at the local Fedex hold location, which should not have been a big deal and have done it many times before with other companies. This way my stuff is not sitting outside for hours. The website would not allow me to hold it at another location and said to contact the shipper. I called and actual had a okay experience with the guy on the phone but he said there would be a hold charge and would try to get it waved. Longer story short he said he could hold it at the place I asked him to. I got a phone call back saying it could be held 9miles away at another location. It was available for me to pick up on Thursday at the hold location but it was just a huge pain to save $30 bucks. I could have just stopped at Basspro and picked it up. Thats what I get for trying to save a buck.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    I've order items from Dvor a few times, only one time was the order cancelled. The item was never charged so no issue with a refund or need to talk with CS.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've ordered quite a few things from Optics Planet over the years. I always use the chat function so a live person pretty much verifies if something is in stock and then I try to get a bigger discount on whatever it is. So far I haven't been screwed, but I do try to avoid them if possible due to all the negative experiences with them.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Well i just placed a small order with them for a few strike industries blue line parts for an Ar build for my daughter. I always make sure that it says in stock along with how many they have in stock. As long as there's 10 or more i will place an order with them. I too, use them as little as possible, but it saved me quite a bit along with a coupon code and free shipping the prices couldnt be beat anywhere else.
    I've had decent luck in recent history by making sure there is what i would deem plenty(10 or more) showing in stock

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am one of the ones to have had good experiences with them. When I did not pay attention and check availability, they always cancelled my order right away when requested. Any returns were always prompt as well. The one gripe I do have is holding the entire order while waiting on an out of stock item. I have called them and they went ahead and shipped the in stock item, but that, to me, should be SOP. I now am diligent about checking the availability of an item before I order it. That seems to be the key to having a good experience with them.
    As usual, YMMV.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've purchased some items from Optics Planet and never had any issues. But now I'll be cautious. Sometimes I use OP, sometimes Midway, sometimes, Brownell's, just depends who has what I'm looking for, and price.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I had the out-of-stock issue last year too. Ordered a stripped upper that showed available, found out it was out of stock, and waited for 3 weeks before I canceled it and bought it from midway.

Top Bottom