• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Maybe it's just me, but do any of the other new guys find the amount of knowledge on here a little intimating? Don't get me wrong I'm learning a lot just a little leary about posting due to what I know compared to a majority of the member at INGO.
    I think I can sum it up pretty well.

If it's an opinion, post away.

If it's "heresay" or "rumor" preface your post by saying that. People won't jump on your case nearly as bad.

But if you try to post misinformation as factual info, you're probably going to get jumped on. It's just how things work. There are so many rumors and misinformation out there that a lot of people (myself included) get tired of it and tend to get a bit "harsh" when correcting wrong information.

If you do post wrong info and get jumped on, take it in stride, apologize for posting incorrect info etc and you'll be just fine!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I was intimidated shortly after I started reading. however I went to the SKS shoot just a few days after joining... it helped alot! I would definetly reccommend going to one of the events. everyone here is very knowledgable, and for the most part, (:D) very forgiving and nice! it is a great resource for learning. :welcome:

Maybe it's just me, but do any of the other new guys find the amount of knowledge on here a little intimating? Don't get me wrong I'm learning a lot just a little leary about posting due to what I know compared to a majority of the member at INGO.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It ALL depends on how you phrase your posts!!!

"Hey guys, newb here, know of any good links / resources on where I can learn about the Winchester 1300 as a home defense weapon?" vs. "Hey guys, did you know that Glock, XD, HK, & every other plastic gun are complete & total junk"....

Tone of posting goes a long way!

And, as I've said before, if you want to learn, you have to start somewhere. (For me, I think I joined my first firearms-related MB back in 2002 or 03)

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    An internet maxim is that the best way to get good information is to post incorrect information. People as a whole are far more interested in correcting something wrong than just answering a question :D

Jump in and start posting and don't take arguments with people you've never met too personally.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    OP - I understand where you are coming from. First off, search if you are looking for something specifically, and if you dont find it, just ask. I was the same way at first. The information that is available here is a bit overwhelming. As far as opinions, if you got one on a certain issue (firearm, government talk, whatever) just speak up.

Nobody on here bites (I dont think).

-MColford

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    There is a lot of knowledge here and a bunch of people more than willing to share their knowledge and opinion.
    You may get smacked down on occasion for context or using the wrong work or term but I am convinced that the members here will try to help you with any question or problem you have.
    Get in there and ask questions and don't be afraid to post your own thoughts they are a valuable as anyone else...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you claim something is state law, be prepared to prove it.
    ... or have a boat for sale.
    Just PLEASE don't quote Texas law (OK, who do I owe?)

Jump in and start posting and don't take arguments with people you've never met too personally.
    Best advice yet.

I'll freely admit I don't know Jack (Really, I don't). Doesn't stop my from posting, or learning from others.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I do find my vast knowledge to be intimidating. I don't know why it intimidates people, I try to be modest but it is, admittedly, hard when you have read as many internet threads about guns as I have. If you spend a couple weeks reading on the internet you'll become an expert like me and then you will not have any reservations. Like me you will eventually have to deal with people rolling their eyes at you in, what I can only assume is, their frustration of your superior knowledge. Take my advice and don't let that discourage you, keep correcting people. It is part of what makes the internet so great, right?

This post, for instance, is a great example of when to use purple text.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There are some REAL EXPERTS here...and there are some users here that know a lot and are very helpful. It's the internet, not everything you read is true. Just keep that in mind.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You guys are crushing my paradigm and turning my world upside with your constant reminders that not everything on the internet is true. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight thanks to you.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You guys are crushing my paradigm and turning my world upside with your constant reminders that not everything on the internet is true. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight thanks to you.

It is easy to figure out how much credibility to give someone. Simply look at their "reputation" under their avatar. Now, more recently, you have to adjust that by utilizing an algorithm (that I can't remember the details of at the time) that weights the % of time they have contributed to "the status update thread part X" where X is any of the numbered "status" threads. Since the advent of the Status threads it has gotten quite complicated but it can be done. :D Once again, purple text is all but a given here.

Top Bottom