Anyone else move to .40 or .45 for winter carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just curious, but why change calibers in winter? I understand that you can conceal a larger gun under a coat, but why change caliber? I see going from a G43 or G19 to a G17 because of it being easier to conceal now, but, if you really want to carry a .40 or .45, there are subcompact options in those calibers. I don't understand going from a shield to a 1911 or similar change.

This summer was the first summer that I really embraced the 9mm as being adequate. All handguns suck in terms of stopping power, so winter clothes just seem to make them all suck more. I know that it's baby steps, but carrying 9mm in the summer was big for me. It might be a while before I can wrap my head around carrying a 9mm in the winter too. Also, I have all of these .40s and .45s laying around and I love shooting the things. I have very good leather for my G23, so if I shoot it well and it carries well, why not carry it. Maybe I'll just stick to .40 year round. Hard to beat the combination of capacity, caliber and concealability for me when I look at the G23.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    This summer was the first summer that I really embraced the 9mm as being adequate. All handguns suck in terms of stopping power, so winter clothes just seem to make them all suck more. I know that it's baby steps, but carrying 9mm in the summer was big for me. It might be a while before I can wrap my head around carrying a 9mm in the winter too. Also, I have all of these .40s and .45s laying around and I love shooting the things. I have very good leather for my G23, so if I shoot it well and it carries well, why not carry it. Maybe I'll just stick to .40 year round. Hard to beat the combination of capacity, caliber and concealability for me when I look at the G23.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to pass judgement, or anything. I had seen others post similar things about switching from 9 to 45 over the winter. So, I was curious as to the thought process behind it. What 9 did you carry this summer? Does the G23 conceal with a tee and shorts/jeans?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If I had a better holster for my revolver, I'd consider carrying that (full size GP100), or a 1911.
    For now, I always carry my Shield in 9mm... but I could probably pull off the 1911 or revolver pretty easily... now this has me thinking

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Fair enough. I wasn't trying to pass judgement, or anything. I had seen others post similar things about switching from 9 to 45 over the winter. So, I was curious as to the thought process behind it. What 9 did you carry this summer? Does the G23 conceal with a tee and shorts/jeans?

The 9mm of choice through the summer was a CZ P10C. It's about the same size as the G23.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'll start by saying that I generally like the ease of carrying the same thing, year round. Lots of trigger time with the same platform/caliber is invaluable under extreme stress.
    I used to carry a G23 or G27 year round, but I have found the smaller dimensions of the Shield much more comfortable. I am less likely to leave it home.
    The G23, for some reason, was my best shooting Glock - I could really connect with it. I shot it as well - though not quite as fast - as my G34 for practical self-defense distances, and the recoil pulse didn't bother me. I also had a G27 that never quite felt right for me personally. I sold all my Glocks a few years ago, but if I were to get back into Glocks, a G23 would be on my short list.
    Long story short, the G23 would be a good companion, especially in the winter when clothes are more forgiving.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I carry my G23 all year long.

This. As soon as my NiBX coated G23 is fixed and becomes reliable, I plan to carry it year round.

As long as you're not concerned with 100% concealment, the G23 conceals well enough for me with shorts and an oversized tee shirt, which is what I wear in the summer. That's also carrying OWB, which is the way I prefer to carry. Only slight printing, which I don't worry about.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Carried a .40 from day 1. Only changed the mfg from a EAA Witness to a SA XD40. For the 7 seaons in Mi. (s,s,f,w,w,w) to the 3 seasons here in In. (s,s,f, there is no winter here). Why change because of rhe weather?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

As long as you're not concerned with 100% concealment, the G23 conceals well enough for me with shorts and an oversized tee shirt, which is what I wear in the summer. That's also carrying OWB, which is the way I prefer to carry. Only slight printing, which I don't worry about.

A G23/G19 sized gun conceals very well with a good IWB holster, even with shorts and a tshirt. The single stacks like the 43 conceal even better of course, when you might be concerned with going somewhere legal but that might have a bit of scrutiny at the door, or might have some physical activity that might make a shirt ride up a bit, etc. The 43 just tucks so close to the body with an IWB that it just disappears.

Generally I find that no one really looks for anything these days. Either they are too busy with kids, etc or have their face firmly implanted in a phone, etc, that most folks are oblivious. Even most "security" guards aren't really noticing anything. Situational awareness is pretty much dead with most folks.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    A G23/G19 sized gun conceals very well with a good IWB holster, even with shorts and a tshirt. The single stacks like the 43 conceal even better of course, when you might be concerned with going somewhere legal but that might have a bit of scrutiny at the door, or might have some physical activity that might make a shirt ride up a bit, etc. The 43 just tucks so close to the body with an IWB that it just disappears.

Generally I find that no one really looks for anything these days. Either they are too busy with kids, etc or have their face firmly implanted in a phone, etc, that most folks are oblivious. Even most "security" guards aren't really noticing anything. Situational awareness is pretty much dead with most folks.

I would have to agree that situational awareness is very dead. I often feel alone in a room full of people or just being out and about. No one is paying any attention to anyone else. Me on the other hand am a father of two and a husband. I feel it is my duty to protect my loved ones. I am always aware and my head is on a swivel. I see that my kids are picking up the habit as well. They sometimes ask "what's that guy doing over there".

I do bump it up to 45 when its coat weather and can hide the extra size.

Last edited:

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I move from my XDE to a 3.8" XDM for winter carry. I like have twice the capacity without swapping mags. I also have a shoulder holster so it is really comfortable to carry a larger (still not big) gun in winter.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I guess by this logic a guy could just get okay with carrying one of the magnum pistol rounds year-round? .357, .41, .44...it really doesn't matter which, unless their jacket is ballistic material.

You'd never be WRONG...

-Nate

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Carhartt Jacket Stops NYPD Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124-Grain +P Hollow Points - The Truth About Guns

This is why I wear 2 Carhartt jackets and carry an .88 Magnum in the winter.
    It's the only way to be sure.

:)

The HSTs were stopped in the BACK of the coat, after penetrating said bad guy. I know the sorta-truth about guns and other websites initially ran with it like the Carhartt stopped the bullets dead because they either didn't know better (doubt it) or it generated clicks (this one).

Top Bottom