Anyone else move to .40 or .45 for winter carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The HSTs were stopped in the BACK of the coat, after penetrating said bad guy. I know the sorta-truth about guns and other websites initially ran with it like the Carhartt stopped the bullets dead because they either didn't know better (doubt it) or it generated clicks (this one).

That makes more sense!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

tumblr_mwro7zSToJ1sy07j3o1_500.gif

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I change from a single stack 9mm (hkp7 or shield) to my g19. I usually carry my single atacks in the waistband and i carry my g19 on the waistband in the winter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I change from a single stack 9mm (hkp7 or shield) to my g19. I usually carry my single atacks in the waistband and i carry my g19 on the waistband in the winter.

One of the main reasons I switched to 9mm was capacity. I shoot the G43 pretty well, actually as well as the bigger guns. Still, I cannot get comfy with the limited capacity.

I wouldn't want to be stuck with the G43 up against a dedicated thug or terrorist, let alone two with high capacity guns. The same could be said for an active shooter with a long gun.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Still, I cannot get comfy with the limited capacity.

Taran Tactical has what you need. Go lookee. I can attest to the quality and function, and the +1 pad for the 43 is an almost unnoticeable change from OEM.

But do note the S&W Shield carries one more. It's also nicer, and Mssr. Butler still makes plates for it as well. 10+1 sounds a WHOLE lot more betterer than 6+1, no?

-Nate

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    A winter coat wont slow down polymer tipped hornady critical defense 9mm or any other 9mm in my internet expert opinion. I think you just told your woman that so u could have an excuse to get another gun

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Taran Tactical has what you need. Go lookee. I can attest to the quality and function, and the +1 pad for the 43 is an almost unnoticeable change from OEM.

But do note the S&W Shield carries one more. It's also nicer, and Mssr. Butler still makes plates for it as well. 10+1 sounds a WHOLE lot more betterer than 6+1, no?

-Nate

Thanks Nate. I wouldn't go without my TT +1 in the gun and +2's on the belt. So far so good on the reliability testing of the 12 round backup ETS mags also. No mag change will beat 16 in the gun though.

It's back to the same thing. What do you want against one/two attackers with high cap guns or rifle? Hard to CC a rifle, so I have to settle for a high cap 9mm (and practice/train/practice/train until they all land where I want them to.)

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Through the other three seasons, I mostly alternate between 9 mm, and .40, but in the winter months I'm not so conventional.
    Winter gives me a chance to carry some handguns that I usually don't in the other seasons.

This is one of my combo carries. I actually bought the .500 S&W many years ago, to carry during backpack trips in Wyoming. Now, I don't get out there very often, yet I still like to give 'Big Duke' a workout now and then. So it gets carried in a cross-chest rig, and the little guy gets put into a pocket holster and placed in my jacket pocket.

I figure that the little LCP will give me some quick space and distance if I need it (and nothing is a quicker draw than already having your hand on the weapon).
    Then, if a threat still exists, out comes Big Duke for some shock and awe ! ;)

i-5RddS94-XL.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Through the other three seasons, I mostly alternate between 9 mm, and .40, but in the winter months I'm not so conventional.
    Winter gives me a chance to carry some handguns that I usually don't in the other seasons.

This is one of my combo carries. I actually bought the .500 S&W many years ago, to carry during backpack trips in Wyoming. Now, I don't get out there very often, yet I still like to give 'Big Duke' a workout now and then. So it gets carried in a cross-chest rig, and the little guy gets put into a pocket holster and placed in my jacket pocket.

I figure that the little LCP will give me some quick space and distance if I need it (and nothing is a quicker draw than already having your hand on the weapon).

That's a nice looking .500! What do you load it with for self defense?

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    There ain't no winter coat gonna stop that Smith 500 magnum thats for sure, Very nice looking Smith 500 you have there. That would be some serious shock and awe lol.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    That's a nice looking .500! What do you load it with for self defense?

Currently, it's loaded with 400 grain semi-jacketed soft points. Those are relatively mild. With 700 grain hard cast, you can hunt on the African plains.

hehe !

There ain't no winter coat gonna stop that Smith 500 magnum thats for sure, Very nice looking Smith 500 you have there. That would be some serious shock and awe lol.

Thanks, man ! :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

i-5RddS94-XL.jpg

I know this hand cannon. I can still feel it in my right hand.

Top Bottom