• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'm in a deep rut. I took up hunting again in 2001 and in the time I have gotten 1 shot on a deer, I missed, which I still don't understand how. Missed another oportunity on a shot on a doe, my bad. Got busted by 4 does a few years ago putting out some smelly stuff, again my bad. Had a herd stop just outside my comfortable slug range 2 years ago, not my bad as someone else the weekend prior had snuck into my blind without my knowledge, while the land owner and I were at drill the opening weekend. Now for the past 2 years I've not seen a single deer on the private property I hunt on. I'm not having a good time here, spending a small fortune on these crazy licenses for every season, drive 150 miles round trip which cost a small fortune in my truck. The whole time with the wife nagging about $$$ spent.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm in a deep rut. I took up hunting again in 2001 and in the time I have gotten 1 shot on a deer, I missed, which I still don't understand how. Missed another oportunity on a shot on a doe, my bad. Got busted by 4 does a few years ago putting out some smelly stuff, again my bad. Had a herd stop just outside my comfortable slug range 2 years ago, not my bad as someone else the weekend prior had snuck into my blind without my knowledge, while the land owner and I were at drill the opening weekend. Now for the past 2 years I've not seen a single deer on the private property I hunt on. I'm not having a good time here, spending a small fortune on these crazy licenses for every season, drive 150 miles round trip which cost a small fortune in my truck. The whole time with the wife nagging about $$$ spent.

maybe you should see if you can get out there before hunting season opens and try to pattern the deer movements.. and see if there is some other factor causing your problems..
    what do you mean by someone snuck into your blind? did they hunt from it , or do something to it?

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Been a tough last couple of years for me as well. I look at it this way, I'm still getting to sit in the woods and enjoy watching the squirrels play. I'm not at work. And when I finally get a shot on one, it makes all the time sitting and waiting forgotten.

I've said before that once I learned to work with the wind and stay out of an area if the wind is wrong, I became alot more successful. Do you monitor the wind direction in relation to your stand or do you just go out when you have a chance?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've taken one doe the last 3 years.

I have learned this season that I didn't know nearly enough to be productive, my biggest mistake was not knowing which way the wind was blowing and that I was probably getting busted long before I would ever know it.

With some guidance, a good book called "Mapping Trophy Bucks", and a little more time in the woods instead of hunting field edges, I am confident I will get one this season.

If I don't, then I will keep learning and be ready for next season.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have been hunting for 11 years. I always learn something every year. Study the animals you do see. There movements and interaction. As far as not putting one down just remember you have to fail before you can succeed.

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    dont give up hope. Last year I was in my stand on Tuesday (4th day) . I got in before light and was cold and ready to quit about 8:30. I stood up ,stretched and looked around. Decided to give it another 5 min and sat down. As soon as I did ,I caught a glimps of horn coming from my left rear. He came past quartering away and became meat. Nicest 10 Iv ever gotten, just when I was about to give up.
    Moral of this story is:
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME (especialy when you least expect it)

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Guys and gals I have been in simliar situations before.

I was putting so much pressure on myself to harvest deer that it became misserable to me. Then to add the fact that I was also wanting to take a "trophy wall hanger" to keep up with the guys.
    I was hunting the same spots over and over with the same results.

There was a time i was eating ,sleeping and drinking deer hunting 365
    I would have hunted them with a pocket knife if there was a season;)

Anyway I tried taking my son but he was too young at the time so i wanted to do something outdoors that we both would enjoy.
    So i stepped away for a few years ( only hunting during the opening gun weekend and then not seariouse)
    We took up trapping , i had trapped for years and slacked off a bit. this releaved my "stress" of deer hunting and still allowed my son and I to enjkoy the great outdoors. As he grew a bit older and we talked and he would see deer while checking traps and he was amazed of the stories i would tell him about his uncle and I deer hunting.
    All the while I would get calls from my brother and our friends during season about bucks they had seen or harvest, my juices would start flowing.
    Soon my son had grown older and wanted to give deer hunting a try. i made a comettment to not allow myself to put pressure on him or myself and just simply relax and enjoy our time in the woods.

Now my daughters have both taken up deer hunting and we all enjoy the times in the woods together , even if we dont harvest a deer.

i still find it hard to balance trapping and hunting but I never let it stress me out or get over whelming

So my friend as for your question , try and find a place closer to home so you can try and be more relaxed
    Do you Bow hunt and gun hunt and muzzle load hunt or just gun?
    Don't over look public land to hunt , most of these (esp) Fish and Wildlife areas have lots of deer
    if it becomes to stressful you might have to step away and take a breath and regroup for another go at it.

im not sure of your hunting exsp, year etc. so if your having to learn everything from scratch and be sucessful all at once this can be a chore

Also remember even with all your home work done and scouting etc. there is still a lot of "luck" that must also fall into place:)

If all else fails im sure there will be some hunters who would be willing to hunt with you on your property and show you a few things and give you 1 on 1 advice

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Hunting is fun, but it is also tough work sometimes. I mean no disrespect for my questions, so please do not take any. Are you finding deer sign in the area that you are hunting? A place can look good, but unless you are seeing deer sign they may not be there. Trail cameras can help confirm if they are there or not, when used before the season. Have you been able to scout the area very well in the summer to identify funnels and travel areas? Have you been able to locate the food sources in the area? These are just some of the initial questions. If there are deer in the area then there is one tree or area that deer pass through more than any other. Your job is to find it and be there enough to ambush a deer when it comes through. Sometimes it helps to have another hunter that you know and trust to take a look at your hunting area and see what their opinion is. Don't give up. It can be extremely frustrating, but keep at it and know that it can change in a second. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    what do you mean by someone snuck into your blind? did they hunt from it , or
    do something to it?

I sat the blind out nearly 2 months in advance. No one really hunts there until gun opener and then lots of folks sneek on from the adjoining land and if they know that the owner is not there they will sneak on and hunt. Someone used the blind. I used to keep a small fold up chair in it, and I always put it away before I leave, the chair was out and it smelled of urine.

Hunting is fun, but it is also tough work sometimes. I mean no
    disrespect for my questions, so please do not take any. Are you finding deer sign
    in the area that you are hunting? A place can look good, but unless you are
    seeing deer sign they may not be there. Trail cameras can help confirm if they
    are there or not, when used before the season. Have you been able to scout
    the area very well in the summer to identify funnels and travel areas? Have you
    been able to locate the food sources in the area? These are just some of the
    initial questions. If there are deer in the area then there is one tree or area
    that deer pass through more than any other. Your job is to find it and be
    there enough to ambush a deer when it comes through. Sometimes it helps to
    have another hunter that you know and trust to take a look at your hunting area
    and see what their opinion is. Don't give up. It can be extremely
    frustrating, but keep at it and know that it can change in a second. Good luck and let
    me know if I can help in any way.

No offense taken in the least. I scout it as much as I can. I go over there at least once a month, year round, and more sometimes. Ride horses over the ground looking when I can. I'm finding sign, plenty of it, but I am having problems working out when they are in the area. You are right I do need to get some trailcams up to help pattern them out. I do think I may have found a hot spot totally by accident today while we were out looking at some old homestead ruins, now to figure out when they are there and invest in some climbing stands.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As my hunting buddies and I banter back and forth after a deerless hunt, the phrase "that's why it's called hunting, not shopping" comes to mind. Just keep on keepin' on, and if you do everything right...AND if luck is with you, you'll bag some venison!! I'll leave you with a great, but cheesy quote from Galaxy Quest: Never give up, never surrender! :thumbsup:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I have a friend who has been very successful hunting all kinds of land. He has taken countless trophies and wrote a very good book on how he hunts. He has also written for nearly every hunting magazine known as a freelance writer. If you are unsure or would like pointers I would highly recommend giving his book a read. I have had pretty good success myself hunting in some bad areas and his book is spot on in alot of what I do. Like I said this is just my .02 but I will give you a link to check out if you are interested.

http://www.higginsoutdoors.com/outdoors/higgins-book.htm

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The deer in my area have been getting a lot of morning pressure lately so I started hunting evenings when I got home from work.
    Freezer is full and the deer have seemed comfortable in the early evenings. I'm getting open shots at close range while they're feeding in the fields at woods edge.
    IF what you're doing isn't working for you I'll suggest you alter YOUR routine.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    A few things I have discovered as "Truths" over the years

The more time spent afield, the better the chance of seeing deer. More than once I have heard the talk of "I spent 3 hours on stand opening morning and saw nuttin'"

You don't hear deer, you see them. They are like ghosts. Pay attention.

Take a shower with unscented soap, put on clean clothes. Don't rely on some cover scent to hide your stinking body.

The wind ? Simple, keep it in your face wherever possible. Stand placement or where you hunt depends on wind direction,

It is called deer hunting, not deer killing. If it were the latter, I would quit.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    This has been my 20th hunting season and I have had both amazing and absolutely heartbreaking experiences in the woods. For most, it either compells you go back out or it makes you quit....but clearly, if you quit, your luck can never change. I got laid off this year and money has been scarce and I too have to drive 70 miles from Fishers down to the Hoosier Nat'l Forest as I don't have any private property to hunt. A successful hunt for me doesn't always mean harvesting animals but it is the reason we are out there...my best recommendation is to spend some time pre-season and do some scouting and check out on-line forums like this one to touch base with other guys who hunt in the same areas...you might find it a bit easier to find the deer. As far as making mistakes...every hunter has done that and those mistakes have been the best teachers for increasing my success as hunter. Keep your chin up and don't give up...

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    OP - Ya gotta stick it out! That said, don't make yourself crazy or bankrupt over deer season. See if you can scout some small plots closer to home and get permission. Try bow season to get out early.

I can usually count on shooting a few does by my Sister's house 80 miles away. As I am only looking for a HUGE trophy buck, I let all other bucks walk. This lets me wait and see more deer.

This year opening day I took a friend on his first deer hunt, put him in my best stand and he filled a doe tag mid AM. I then taught him how to field dress and helped him take it out. That was all of the hunting we did that day, and it was worth more to see him 'get the bug" than if I had shot a wagonfull of deer. That AM I had seen a spike chasing a doe on a neighboring property within range, but not my sister's property. Point is, I saw some deer, had a great day and my buddy got his first deer.

I went out last night by a pond that has deer come to it every evening. I am almost embarrassed to hunt the spot. Not last night. It was cold and damp and not too much fun. But I'm confident I will get some does this week. Just need to change some of the things I do as the deer change patterns.

Take this off-season to find a closer spot so you can hit it more often.

DanO

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I here ya DanO. This past weekend was the son's first time actually carrying his own gun. He is going to start shooting my 35lb recurve as soon as I get a backstop built. Once he gets comfortable with that I'm getting him his own longbow. We did here a deer grunting as we were sitting there.

Growing up in southern Kentucky, I remember when seeing ANY deer was a real treat and something you would brag to your friends about. I still consider seeing deer while hunting to be a good hunt, I just haven't seen any, while hunting, for a couple of years now. It has started bumming me out.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    Don't give up! It can get frustrating. IMO, the rut can be a blessing and a curse. Pre rut buck activity can be good, but when its really on, it gets screwy. Does get extra paranoid, not only from hunting pressure but from being chased by every buck out there. Then when a buck gets with a doe, and if she is content with him and not trying to get away, they may stay holed up where nobody (deer or human) will bother them. Lots of variables to it, and also alot of luck needed. Try changing up strategy. Lots of good replies, learn from them, and keep after it. It will come together for you! Good luck.

Top Bottom