• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i lost the interest for a while when i got hit by a CO on farm property i lease from my father in law and the owner. i fall under license exemption but the CO and judge felt like ignoring the fact that i didnt need a license so they gave me a C misdemeanor, informal probation, and $160 court fee. im still under probation till dec 24 but still allowed to hunt and carry a firearm, infact i took a 160+lb doe 2 days ago

the deer i got 2 days ago was my very first deer i have ever taken and ive been hunting since i was 16 yrs it took me 10 years to get my first deer and was my first shot ever on a deer. i turn 26 on the 29th. be persistent and you will eventually get one. and dont limit yourself to one type of game there is always something in season
    picture.php

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I grew up in a nonhunting, nonshooting family so everything I've learned about hunting I've had to learn on my own and from books. I'm in your boat. Hunting for 10 years and haven't gotten a deer. I am confident that a big part of this is I jumped right into bowhunting first. I have seen lots of deer out of range or were protected by magic sticks that deflected my arrow. Had I even been carrying a pistol instead of a bow I have no doubt I would have connected by now. I know the feeling though - the feeling of this being a waste. Wives who don't understand hunting make it even worse when they start doing their calculations (remind her how many purses and shoes one person truly needs).

My suggestion - switch species for a while. Try something else. I love squirrel hunting and have had a ball doing that (historically, we survived more on small game than big game anyway). Also try hog hunting. It's very cheap and the sheer number of hogs in some southern states create vast shooting opportunities. Don't bother with a high fence hunt in most cases. My first year of hunting I was ignorant and did one of those hunts and it was the most dissatisfying outdoors experience I can ever recall having. A little hunting success in some other areas will bring back the passion you had for this before.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    constantly, but i keep coming back for more abuse. i'm not hunting this year, but only because of family additions being more important uses of my spare time and money. i'll be back at it next year.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Yeah I am in a rut as well. I used to always go hunting with my grandpa when I was younger and basically sit with him. Four years ago I decided to start hunting on my own as a way to honor him and save the family some money. I spent the last three years on a friends property almost at least once a day, if not more. I only saw 1 deer in that whole time. The people behind his woods were cutting down trees, riding dirt bikes and ATVs all through hunting season. His neighbor to the right are some anti-hunting yuppies from CA and like to go out with coffee cans full of BBs to shake. As the land had very little potential I lost interest more last season. I then decided to try some public land. Between not seeing anything in about 8 trips 2 hours away from me and having a guy shoot a doe about 7 yards behind and to the right of me I gave up on it as well. I just decided I would just hunt the private land this year but the guy lost it. So essential 4 years without a deer, tons of money invested, and no where to hunt. I would say I have lost the faith. Maybe other forces just don't want me to do it. :dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I hunt because I enjoy being outdoors. I've take one doe in my life and am still proud of it.

I've eaten enough tags and swallowed enough pride that I don't care if I don't get one. It'll never be a waste of time to me, because I know I was in the woods enjoying myself.

My first love is bassfishing and I still have days I hit the water and don't catch a fish. I could switch up and fish for bluegill or crappie... but if I'm doing that, I'm not fishing for bass :) It took years to get to the point where I know how to catch bass.

I know it will also take time to become a good deer hunter.

And I'll enjoy every second in the woods while I'm learning.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'm not having a good time here,
    Why not? It's called hunting, not killing.

Take a few days off and camp where you hunt instead of driving. Change your tactics until you make it fun. Right now, for you, it is more like work. If you do that, the deer will taste even better when it finally comes to you.

Slow down and become a part of the woods, not just a visitor. Do some bird watching while on the stand. Your bad karma is giving you away :).

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    you guys need to come up north, Tipp. , fountain & benton counties are crawling with deer.. go sit in the woods long enough and you will see them..

Warren too. I really don't hunt all that much and I get deer every year. So far this year I've sat in a stand less than 3 hours and shot one doe. I will try to get another over the holiday weekend. I don't get a buck every year, but killing enough meat for the year has never been a problem where I hunt. Also, get serious about coyote hunting. Predator management is game management. Most people have no idea how bad the coyotes can be on the newborn fawns, not to mention rabbit populations.

Top Bottom