• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I HATE those guys.
    It doesn't even have to be a situation where lanes are closed. I travel 465 to and from work each day, and on the southeast leg, where I-74 intersects with 465, people tend to lose their minds and I really don't know why. There are ample signs saying the exit is coming up, yet some yahoo still manages to stay in the far left lane until about 100 feet from the exit (on the right) and brings all 4 lanes of traffic to a halt trying to make their exit. Zipper merging will NEVER work while there are human drivers. There are a lot of people that just have no business being on interstates. They should find alternative routes.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It doesn't even have to be a situation where lanes are closed. I travel 465 to and from work each day, and on the southeast leg, where I-74 intersects with 465, people tend to lose their minds and I really don't know why. There are ample signs saying the exit is coming up, yet some yahoo still manages to stay in the far left lane until about 100 feet from the exit (on the right) and brings all 4 lanes of traffic to a halt trying to make their exit. Zipper merging will NEVER work while there are human drivers. There are a lot of people that just have no business being on interstates. They should find alternative routes.

Yup, last minute people that swerve across multiple lanes of traffic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Those very same people with **** up any road they are on.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yup, last minute people that swerve across multiple lanes of traffic.
    But according to the "zipper merge" folks, that is the preferred method. :dunno: Me? I know where I'm going, so I get in the lane I need to be in to get there at least 1 or maybe 2 exits prior to that. Instead of screwing up everyone else behind me. It's not like there aren't signs telling people what's coming up. The "zipper merge" people must have superpowers, like the Vulcan mind meld or something, to know exactly what other peoples' plans are.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    At this point in time Vulcans still consider the mind meld aberrant behavior.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    2vdl8y.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    But according to the "zipper merge" folks, that is the preferred method. :dunno: Me? I know where I'm going, so I get in the lane I need to be in to get there at least 1 or maybe 2 exits prior to that. Instead of screwing up everyone else behind me. It's not like there aren't signs telling people what's coming up. The "zipper merge" people must have superpowers, like the Vulcan mind meld or something, to know exactly what other peoples' plans are.

No. Zipper merging is not for general use when exiting the interstate. It's only to be used when the road goes from two lanes to one, either due to construction or a crash.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No. Zipper merging is not for general use when exiting the interstate. It's only to be used when the road goes from two lanes to one, either due to construction or a crash.

You know that, and I know that, but the same principle should apply when negotiating lane changes, or on the asinine "collector feeder" interchanges. I mean seriously. Who thought it was a good idea to make traffic that is slowing down (to exit) enter the same lane as traffic that is speeding up (entering the interstate)?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Very good. Repped.

I believe that the consensus of opinion is that you are wrong.

Just like the consensus that voted for AOC? :dunno:

Zipper merging is the most efficient way to do it; opinions be damned.

(Trying to bring this thread back again. ;))

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heads are probably exploding. You know, because Trump.

Some (or all of) my idiot nieces/nephews are ate the he up with TDS. Ate the hell up to the point of blindness to truth. Tonight with the C-Camp referrals I have reached my limit. They all live out of state which is a really good thing so I am not concerned about thanksgiving get together.

We are seriously in trouble people.

Top Bottom