• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    so wouldn't you know it today I a in a gun shop looking at my first handgun and tonight after i lay my 2 kids down me and the wife are watching tv and all of a sudden our sliding glass door gets ripped open (it was locked but got beat by a crow bar). i grab my gerber knife i got issued Gerber LMF II 22-01629 and run down stairs and as i get down there i see the guy running out my back door. if i had a xdm or glock 22 right now i would feel so much more safe. i know it's stupid and i know he's not going to come back but im sitting guard down stairs right now lol. just thought i would share my story. (more than likely this will make the wife give me the green light to go ahead and buy one.)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    so wouldn't you know it today I a in a gun shop looking at my first handgun and tonight after i lay my 2 kids down me and the wife are watching tv and all of a sudden our sliding glass door gets ripped open (it was locked but got beat by a crow bar). i grab my gerber knife i got issued Gerber LMF II 22-01629 and run down stairs and as i get down there i see the guy running out my back door. if i had a xdm or glock 22 right now i would feel so much more safe. i know it's stupid and i know he's not going to come back but im sitting guard down stairs right now lol. just thought i would share my story. (more than likely this will make the wife give me the green light to go ahead and buy one.)

I don't mean to scare you, but why do you think he wouldn't come back? Get some protection and in the meantime place a 2x4 or broom handle in that sliding door.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    What are the odds? Glad to hear nothing was damaged with the exception of your feeling of security, which will hopefully pass. I just moved to an apartment 2 months ago, and of course the Glock 27 moved in with me. I fully encourage and support purchasing a firearm for home/personal defense and peace of mind. Just bear in mind the additional responsibilities imposed upon a gun owner with kids. You can never be too careful with a gun, and that's especially true with rugrats running around. Best of luck with your decision/purchase, and if you haven't noticed, I vote for the Glock!

Best,

E

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I don't mean to scare you, but why do you think he wouldn't come back? Get some protection and in the meantime place a 2x4 or broom handle in that sliding door.

oh that's the first thing we did. after the police left. turns out our nabor to our left got his place broken into just 3 days ago and it was our nabor on the right of us who did it (the sleeping girlfriend of him woke up to him standing over her with all her jewelry in his hands). our next step is for me to decide on a gun (and get a LTCH and or CCW, and look for a new place to move to.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    oh that's the first thing we did. after the police left. turns out our nabor to our left got his place broken into just 3 days ago and it was our nabor on the right of us who did it (the sleeping girlfriend of him woke up to him standing over her with all her jewelry in his hands). our next step is for me to decide on a gun (and get a LTCH and or CCW, and look for a new place to move to.

IMO...

1. Get a shotgun for the house.
    2. Get a pistol/revolver as a backup.
    3. Apply for LTCH.
    4. Move!
    5. Place #4 before 1-4 at any time.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Glad you are safe. Just something to think about...

In an Apartment, you MUST know your valid shot lines. You MUST think through which directions you can shoot, and which ones you cannot. I'm not saying you haven't thought of this, but if you haven't, think about it.

You want to make sure any shot is going through an OUTSIDE wall.

Good luck, Start searching for a new home!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    our next step is for me to decide on a gun (and get a LTCH and or CCW, and look for a new place to move to.

Get your gun, you can carry from store to home without LTCH, BUT THAT's IT!!

Apply for LTCH right away.

And of course move immediately if at all possible.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Never let him know you have a gun! If he is willing to break into your apartment when he suspects you could be there, he will certainly break in again if he sees you leave, and he knows there's a gun for him to steal in the place.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

IMO...

3. Apply for LTCH.
    4. Move!

Que should be known as "Que The WIse".

Glad your family was not harmed, but make sure you secure the property tonight.

This is exactly how I feel. Measure the distance inside the frame of your sliding glass door, Lowes menards and Home depot will all cut down a 2x4 to length at no cost. Lowes has some cheap 2x4's that would work great for 1.47$.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Measure the distance inside the frame of your sliding glass door, Lowes menards and Home depot will all cut down a 2x4 to length at no cost. Lowes has some cheap 2x4's that would work great for 1.47$.[/quote]

If possible...get a dog. The best 'BG' alarm you can have is a good dog. My dog, Bandit, woke me up twice, while living in Indy, growling at the window and door. When he stopped, I went back to bed.

I lived on the West and NW side of Indy for four (4) years...Jan. 1997 thru Oct. 2000...and got messed with a couple of times...car broke into...truck broke into...etc. (see other posts for 'issues' encountered while living in Indy). Moved four (4) times in four (4) years...finally moved out to Avon...got tired of it. Moved to Fort Wayne and have lived in the same place since December of 2001...not a thought of having to move...except, maybe, would like a larger house.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Ive been broke into 3 times in the last 20 years ,I invested in a monitered alarm system & have a heavier than normal safe bolted to the floor for my firearms .Ive never had anyone try to break in while I was home ,seems very brazen cause most criminals are cowardly by nature when it comes to home break ins wanting to make sure no one is home . I would be at least purchasing a HD weapon albeit any type of pump shotgun or something within your budget.

Last edited:

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    IMO...

3. Apply for LTCH.
    4. Move!

Glad you and your family are safe. I would add to the above list:

0. Notify the police.
    1a. Consider loading said shotgun with #4 Buck if you are in an apartment setting to minimize over penetration.
    6. Get some training/Practice with whatever you choose as a defensive tool.

Top Bottom