• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    You need a "green light" to buy a gun? Take mama with you, decide together, Once you find what you want, apply at L1 for your LTCH and at the same time look over the MANY training opportunities available on the INGO site and sign up (BOTH of you) for Pistol 1, LEARN how to use your gun safely. I recommend you follow with NRA mainstay "Refuse to be a victim". Join a range and practice after you learn the basics of marksmanship. Apts are NEVER safe places to fire a gun, so you must be sure of your shot. Just don't leave the Mrs out of the loop, she needs to learn how to shoot as well. Before long, you'll be back at that gun store, or watching the For Sale thread on INGO for her very own gun. SWEET!

Round Ball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Northern Ind.
    couple things to do first get your carry permit then you and your wife go to a gun saftey class. Practice and be safe,next make sure that you could use it on another person or they will take it from you and they will use it on you. Good luck and be SAFE

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Check into some frangible ammo. Use some fish line or light string to make a tell tale trap. You can attach the string to sticks stuck in the ground or wrapped around rocks. The point of this is so that you can look in the morning to see someone has been on your patio. You want a string that will break or that will pull a stick from the ground when stepped on or tripped.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Check into some frangible ammo. Use some fish line or light string to make a tell tale trap. You can attach the string to sticks stuck in the ground or wrapped around rocks. The point of this is so that you can look in the morning to see someone has been on your patio. You want a string that will break or that will pull a stick from the ground when stepped on or tripped.

I like the way of seeing if someone has been snooping around!

Here is a decent review of frangible ammo with some information about them. I have been interested in using frangible ammo in my HD gun as well, after reading this article i'm not so sure it will make a difference.

Bottom line this guy came up with was this: it will not penetrate drywall after hitting soft flesh if it manages to go through the flesh, if you miss the bad guy completely and hit a wall they had the frangible ammo penetrate anywhere from 4 to 11 pieces of 5/8" drywall (way more than one wall...). They roughly figured it would only penetrate 3 to 5 inches of soft flesh, maybe not enough to actually stop a bad guy on the first shot.

Anyway, here is the article for what it's worth. I think i might get a box to test myself just to verify.
    The Box O' Truth #23 - ExtremeShock™ Ammo and the Box O' Truth - Page 1

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Bottom line this guy came up with was this: it will not penetrate drywall after hitting soft flesh if it manages to go through the flesh, if you miss the bad guy completely and hit a wall they had the frangible ammo penetrate anywhere from 4 to 11 pieces of 5/8" drywall (way more than one wall...). They roughly figured it would only penetrate 3 to 5 inches of soft flesh, maybe not enough to actually stop a bad guy on the first shot.

Hmm. So, if you miss, you can still hit a neighbor, but if you hit, you may not stop your attacker?

Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Hmm. So, if you miss, you can still hit a neighbor, but if you hit, you may not stop your attacker?

Sounds like a lose-lose situation.

That is why I suggested checking into it. Some people say its crap, others say its terrific. No telling the truth without trying it yourself. Either way I thought it would be useful to mention to a new shooter. I thought they might have never heard of it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    That is why I suggested checking into it. Some people say its crap, others say its terrific. No telling the truth without trying it yourself. Either way I thought it would be useful to mention to a new shooter. I thought they might have never heard of it.

I haven't read anything about frangible rounds since the Glazers came out amidst much hoopla. I decided I'd rather look for reliable penetration than hoopla.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    $700???????? were those thousand-round cases of ammo that hesold you with the firearm? :n00b:

ok here's what i got a NIB glock 22 4th gen, application (the one where he calls the feds), 1 50 round .40cal box of ammo for target shooting, 1 25 .40cal round hallow point rounds for protection, and taxes. all together it was like $685 the gun it's self was $599 did i get ripped off to bad? i know i could of gotten a better deal at the 1500 in indy this past weekend but i had drill with the national guard and couldn't go.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    also just a FYI i'm by no means a new shooter and i know when to shoot and when not i've been searching into local, state, and federal laws on when i can and can not shoot. just a little background info on me is I'm a Army vet and just got back from Afghanistan in June over there myself and my company is an infantry company where we took over for MP's in training the local police (mainly because they sucked at it lol) i've been in many positions on where i had to make the call wither to shoot or not and i have no problems with firing at another human and delivering an accurate shot. that being said i do need time with my glock to get a feel for it. also I've talked to wife into going to the range with me (once my LTCH gets here) and let her fire a few shots through it. (she for the longest time has hated all firearms) i feel that once she gets over her first shot jitters then she will feel more comfortable with it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    That goon in Anderson charged you for the NICS check?! You got hosed by about 100+ bucks on the gun and the ammo sounds absolutely astronomical.

I highly suggest internet for ammo and either FTF transactions or spend a little more gas and come to Indy for the guns.

A light for caliber hollow point is okay for apartment defense. Glasers and other exotics aren't worth a hoot, no penetration = no chance of stopping the dude. Any quality hollow point will work, just get some trigger time in.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    ok here's what i got a NIB glock 22 4th gen, application (the one where he calls the feds), 1 50 round .40cal box of ammo for target shooting, 1 25 .40cal round hallow point rounds for protection, and taxes. all together it was like $685 the gun it's self was $599 did i get ripped off to bad? i know i could of gotten a better deal at the 1500 in indy this past weekend but i had drill with the national guard and couldn't go.

[strike]Where did you buy this?[/strike]

Nevermind: Crack Shot Guns in Anderson
    You probably could have paid ~ $100 less for all that relatively easily.

Glock 22 should be ~$500-525 from a dealer.
    Gen3: Davidson's Catalog Item Detail
    Gen4: Davidson's Catalog Item Detail

"Application" is free if you're buying from them.

50 rounds of .40 FMJ: $15-20.
    FMJ Ammo : Ammunition To Go

25 rounds .40 hollow point: $25-$30 (depending on the type). EDIT: whoops, you said 25 rounds. So split that price in half. Certainly less that $1/round.
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

So you're looking ~$550 for that package (plus tax).

Last edited:

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Whatever the case though, you live, you learn. This purchase will hopefully help with the former so you can continue the latter (and pay less for your next one :)).

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    holy crap i didn't relise i got hosed that bad dang. looks like i'll be doing a lot more research before i buy from here on out. thanks everyone this site is awesome.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg

You could of got that gun at Jenkins with night sites for under $520. Last time I was in there they were starting to carry some S&W revolvers also. If you plan on buying from them, you'll need your military ID.

Last edited:

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    You could of got that gun at Jenkins with night sites for under $520. Last time I was in there they were starting to carry some S&W revolvers also. If you plan on buying from them, you'll need your military ID.
    u got a link there or an address? also to the question about being issued one the answer is yes i am issued one but for some reason the national guard won't let me take my M249 SAW home :dunno: lol

Top Bottom