• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Happy it turned out the way it did. I used to live in an apartment when I first got married. We had a sliding glass door on the ground level. My wife was asleep on the couch in the living room and I was at work. She awoke to scruffy looking man looking at her thorugh the glass door. She grabbed the phone and ran in the bedroom and locked the door and called me and teh ploice. I told her to grab the AR out of the closet. After that she is alot more gun friendly and now has claimed my Taurus Pt92 AR as her go to gun and is loving shooting and training. It sometimes takes a close call to wake some up. Secure your door and get something for home defense and take the wife shooting. Good training is key so try adn find a good course in your area.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    fixed this problem god i think went out and got myself a glock 22 4th gen. al and all it cost me 700 with 2 boxes of ammo. went to crack shot in anderson and he helped out a lot.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Congrats on making the decision to arm yourself.

However, be aware that a gun is not a "magic protection talisman". In fact, until you know the whens and when-nots, it may be more of a liability to you and could get you into some hot water.

You may want to take a look at the INGO FAQ (linked in my signature below) to get a crash-course in the legal aspects of home defense.

For the long term, I'd highly recommend this book: Indiana Firearms Law Reference Manual, 3rd Edition | Facebook

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    What Esrice said! Get some reading going on the Indiana Code (IC).
    Get a good safe bolted down.
    Get some training if you haven't already.
    then...repeat.
    Glad you are ok.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah, the price was a bit steep, but what's the price of [some] piece of mind?

I would also add that it is his first handgun, and he bought it in a (relative) hurry, so I doubt he did much of a price-comparison.

No biggie. He'll buy more I'm sure. :D

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I would also add that it is his first handgun, and he bought it in a (relative) hurry, so I doubt he did much of a price-comparison.

No biggie. He'll buy more I'm sure. :D

^^ Pretty much this ^^, I'd also add that maybe it is WORTH 700 dollars to him for the pistol, ammo and instruction he got while at the range today?

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg
    I LIKE IT!!!!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I don't mean to scare you, but why do you think he wouldn't come back? Get some protection and in the meantime place a 2x4 or broom handle in that sliding door.

My sliding door has a broom handle in the bottom, and a short, screw-out shower curtain rod wedged in the top because my 3 year old has learned to open the door. Shower curtain rod cost me $5 at Wal-Mart, and can't even be seen from the outside, and barely from the inside, it's white on a white door frame.
    Besides, with "sticks" bottom and top the door can't be rocked. Just extra peace of mind and kid-proofing.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    You really have to secure your apartment the best you can. The thing about these places is you could be surrounded by thieves on welfare and they know when your home or not. It makes me wonder how many thieves know I have a gun. I've only mentioned it to 4 people I thought I could trust but I have reason to believe that more people know than who I've told. If they'll steal locked kiddie walmart bikes, just think what they would do for a gun.

Last edited:

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    yes definately look at a shotgun, you don't want to accidentally shoot a neighbor. good for you on the gun purchase.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    IMO...

1. Get a shotgun for the house.
    2. Get a pistol/revolver as a backup.
    3. Apply for LTCH.
    4. Move!
    5. Place #4 before 1-4 at any time.

Amen. And get some serious trigger time in if you are going to carry. Especially in an apartment.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Lol you guys remind me why I have needed to get on more often. I needed the laughs. Love the humor here

Top Bottom