• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not trying to pick at anyone by asking those questions. But really there is no standard. We'll take the AR since it's a hot topic right now. Within that platform there's 5rd, 10rd, 20rd, 30rd, 40rd, D60, surfire 60 and 100. None of these should be termed high capacity. It's true that the D60 has a higher capacity than those that have less but when there's no standard to compare against then it's just exactly what it is, a D60 magazine. I believe Jim Sullivan made a comment about "high capacity" just being a made up phrase. A mag is simply something used to feed a firearm. Some can hold more boolits than others

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not trying to pick at anyone by asking those questions. But really there is no standard. We'll take the AR since it's a hot topic right now. Within that platform there's 5rd, 10rd, 20rd, 30rd, 40rd, D60, surfire 60 and 100. None of these should be termed high capacity. It's true that the D60 has a higher capacity than those that have less but when there's no standard to compare against then it's just exactly what it is, a D60 magazine. I believe Jim Sullivan made a comment about "high capacity" just being a made up phrase. A mag is simply something used to feed a firearm. Some can hold more boolits than others

At lot of retailers call them "high capacity" themselves. It's a selling point. You literally get "more bang for your buck." Now the term has been vilified, so it doesn't sound as good as it once did.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At lot of retailers call them "high capacity" themselves. It's a selling point. You literally get "more bang for your buck." Now the term has been vilified, so it doesn't sound as good as it once did.

I really think you are on to something. There are a number of items in the gun world that could easily be targeted just by how they are marketed. How much stuff is marketed as "tactical" or advertised with guys decked out in dang near full combat kit. Or some of the wording advertisers use. We have allowed this stuff to be demonized by giving an impression that it is intended to be used to carry out an assault. For several years now there has been some push to call the AR15 a "modern sporting rifle", which is good. We need to have stuff marketed with the image of being designed for sporting use.

Litebow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Near Avon
    I agree the tactical marketing didn't help our image. Sporting use marketing might have been better. Any damage has already been done. And, as has often been said, the second amendment is not about sporting use. Meanwhile, CNN and other media has an unrelentless campaign going on marketing exactly the opposite. The anti gunners are mocking any use of semi- autos for our " frivolous" hobbys, and many don't support hunting with any weapon. Or the need for target shooting for that matter. It seem to me the largest segment of new shooters is women buying guns for self defence. Not sure how many of them are "shall not infringe" voters though. I personally am in the "shall not infringe" camp.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree the tactical marketing didn't help our image. Sporting use marketing might have been better. Any damage has already been done. And, as has often been said, the second amendment is not about sporting use. Meanwhile, CNN and other media has an unrelentless campaign going on marketing exactly the opposite. The anti gunners are mocking any use of semi- autos for our " frivolous" hobbys, and many don't support hunting with any weapon. Or the need for target shooting for that matter. It seem to me the largest segment of new shooters is women buying guns for self defence. Not sure how many of them are "shall not infringe" voters though. I personally am in the "shall not infringe" camp.

I agree the damage has been done by the images that are created by those marketing products. And again, I agree the 2A isn't about sporting use.
    We are under attack by the anti's from many angles. They have been influencing non gun owners who are in the middle for years through biased MSM.
    I agree with you in regard to being in the "shall not infringe" camp. We are all in this together.

I do think we in the gun community need to do more to improve our image to those on the outside and to promote responsible gun ownership, and encourage new people to become involved in shooting sports etc. Just as one example I would love to see a shooting sports show on TV, on one of the regular network channels such as Discovery. I think it could be huge in growing our community and spreading our message with facts

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ten rounds mags work great when you're systematically murdering innocent, unarmed, defenseless people in an enclosed area.

Standard capacity mags are are an advantage that someone who is defending from such murderers could really use.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ten rounds mags work great when you're systematically murdering innocent, unarmed, defenseless people in an enclosed area.

Standard capacity mags are are an advantage that someone who is defending from such murderers could really use.

I agree
    When a deranged evil person is the only one with a gun and had the element of surprise, I imagine anyone responding as a defender could use the extra capaity. Especially if they need to overwhelm the evil scum with violence of action by putting many rounds on target to stop the threat.

I just can't see capacity limits as doing anything positive to make anyone safer

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I've explained to people when they bring up magazine limits, that they only affect the "defender".
    The "defender" generally has what's in his/her gun, and maybe a spare mag.
    So, 10 or 20 rounds.

The "attacker" on the other hand, will bring whatever they can.
    If they're going to kill people, a 30 round limit won't stop them, and there are millions of those mags out there.
    If for some reason they can't get a 30 round magazine, then they will just bring more. Since they are choosing to fight, they could bring dozens.

So, all you've done is affect the "defender".

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Columbine.
    Double barrel shotgun.
    Handguns.
    Pistol calibre carbine with 10 rnd mags.

Bad folk do bad things.

That pistol caliber carbine was a HiPoint 9m carbine & the kid had a backpack full of loaded 10rd mags. So that shoots down the idea of hi cap mags being bad. Bad guys will be bad guys no matter what laws say.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I've explained to people when they bring up magazine limits, that they only affect the "defender".
    The "defender" generally has what's in his/her gun, and maybe a spare mag.
    So, 10 or 20 rounds.

The "attacker" on the other hand, will bring whatever they can.
    If they're going to kill people, a 30 round limit won't stop them, and there are millions of those mags out there.
    If for some reason they can't get a 30 round magazine, then they will just bring more. Since they are choosing to fight, they could bring dozens.

So, all you've done is affect the "defender".

As I did in my video post ... shared somewhere on here - This *&^% vile cretin in Florida - fired about 100 rounds per reports I saw - in 6 minutes.

I fired 95 shots in 6 minutes with 5 shot snub revolver that I had never fired before the filming (and I'm not a revolver guy) ... with rounds pulled from cargo pockets (and hunted for in the grass).

The old saying about "if you're in a fair fight ... you're doing it wrong" comes to mind.

Top Bottom